I got worked at an intersection **2 Graphic Pics**

FrankieD

Scooter
Don't forget gauntlet style riding gloves and over the ankle boots!!!

As the title accurately reads, I was drilled by a car on my way home from work. It was one of the final days of this past June and the sun was shining bright. I was headed westbound approaching an intersection on a 4 lane with a left turn lane for eastbound traffic.

I saw the approaching Mitsubishi Lancer come up to the intersection, slow and nearly stop in the turn lane with his signal on. I slowed and held steady as it seemed that he was stopping for me as my light was green…

or so I thought!

He darted across traffic, leaving me less than 15 ft to stop from 45 MPH. I’m certain he was timing the car behind me that was over 12 car lengths back. I jumped hard on both brakes but didn’t have a choice. I knew the driver hadn’t seen me and I t-boned the Lancer in the passenger rear quarter panel. Just before impact, I made the conscious decision to get my feet off the pegs and try to get over his trunk.

I was thrown over 30 ft and I luckily stayed in my lane, then onto the shoulder. I was thrown from my shoes and that sound of impact will live in my head forever.

The bike split at the forks, smashed the headers, and is totally fucked. The car was totaled and had to be towed from the scene. The driver apologized a million times as I laid on the ground waiting for ambulance and he could pretty much only mutter, “I’m sorry! I didn’t see you!”

As for me, like an idiot in tennis shoes, I had 4 fractures in my left foot and 1 in my right. My right knee has a partial ACL tear. That knee was split wide open and took 8 stitches to close. My left shoulder is diagnosed as impinged with a possible tear. My gloves were NOT gauntlet style and upon impact the right side of the handlebars went up the sleeve of my leather jacket putting a 3 inch puncture into my arm, severing two tendons just above my wrist. I had surgery that night to reattach both. Arrived by ambulance to the hospital at 6:30PM and left after surgery just after 3AM. The jacket and gloves prevented any roadrash on my arms, body, or hands. Leather for the win! The helmet definitely saved my face and head. Contusions just about everywhere! Jeans don't hold up for shit.

Without further delay, some pics.

My typical commute:
ry%3D400

The aftermath:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Pre-Surgery but Post-Morphine...Obviously
ry%3D400

9 stitches
ry%3D400

Thanks, Shoei!
ry%3D400

Thanks, Triumph leather! Held up great!
ry%3D400

1 surgery to reattach two tendons in my right arm, 4 left foot fractures, 1 right foot fracture, right knee ACL tear, left shoulder impingement w/ possible tear, 9 stitches in my right knee, a just a bit of rash on the left knee...Lame!
ry%3D400

Last edited:
So sorry bout yr accident mate. You must be in an awful lot of pain now if already released from hospital. I would need morphine for the rest of next day!
Happens so fast dunnit. Good job you at least slowed down as may have saved yr life judging by wreckage left.

My nerves on a bike have really been shattered lately as I had a near miss last week through stupid cars thinking its ok to sit on yr arse when a Postie is riding a 110cc bike.(would have been filling between a lorry and a car if had not hopped on to pavement, lorry turned into my path and car hurled abuse at me!) Anyway not meaning to take over thread. Just happy your at least in one piece sort off

Last edited:

FrankieD

Scooter
Appreciate the concern. It's been 2 months since the accident and with the physical therapy, i'm doing well. I'd like some more use out of my wrist, pinky, and knee so i'm working on it.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
All the reports like this here makes me sick.
Jesus Frank, I'm am both sorry you are going through this and grateful it looks like you will be OK.
Seeing this gives all of us pause...at least me anyway...as to whether it is worth it trying to compensate for all the shitty drivers out there.
All the best and please let us know how you are doing moving forward.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
It's amazing you're doing so well (relatively speaking). Hope you be mobile, agile and virile soon.

strokerlmt

Shit......wow....shit.....so glad you are ok....you are ok....wounds heal. Why is it they focus on the cars and not the motorcycles....moron. Hang in....ins pays for new bike.....thx for the story and pics. Maybe the "fast guy" on the otha thread will look at the pics.
"Press on brother"
LMT

BobM

Two Stroke
Man,, so sorry something like that happened,,, but glad you didn't get hurt worse. What happened to the arse that caused this?

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Frankie,

Glad you made it out alive, and that you're on the road (long as it may be) to hopefully a full recovery. While we all say thank G-d it wasn't us, hopefully we can all look at this and situations that we've been in (whether our fault of not) and try to become better safer riders.

WOW!!! That does suck and I know the feeling. Hope you're doing better now. Do you plan on purchasing another bike soon ?
...where did this happen, may I ask
?

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Damn man, you went through hell and back! You are so lucky you weren't hurt a lot worse but it sure did a job on you! Glad you are doing better, the poor bike look absolutely mangled and shredded! I noticed the frame right at the headstock was bent back even, that takes one helluva bash to do that!
glad to see you're on the way to recovery and hope you will continue to ride. Heal fast!

KingBear

Hooligan
Holy shit! That's awful. You seem to be in much better spirits that I would expect, though. Hopefully that means a full recovery is expected.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Very glad you're relatively ok.

Whatcha gonna wear now, huh?

atgAtt.

Period.

Sure it's hot as fuck with the hip and knee shield nylon riding pants over jeans and that mesh or leather jacket and tall boots and gauntlet gloves in the summer. But the alternative.... I don't mind a little sweat I guess!

D9

Vendor
Echoing the other sentiments...glad your mostly ok... what a hit. Helmet saved your head & your life... crashing sucks, weather going over in your driveway or flying over some asshat's hood... as of late, I find
it difficult to get "up" for street riding... getting a little too crazy out there... around here in the riding season it's one or two dead local riders every goddamn weekend, like clockwork... regardless of who was at fault, dead is dead. You're a lucky man, heal up as soon as you're able!

MES

750cc
Damn, you didn't get worked, you were used. Harshly.
Wishing you the best at a full and speedy recovery.
Sue 'em for everything they got. They'll never "not see" a motorcyclist again.
Be sure to request there cell phone records for that time period.

motomaniac

Street Tracker
Kevlar jeans and a kevlar shirt under vented leather with armor plus boots and knee armor....my standard gear even when I am just going a short distance. Too many idiots out there and they are multiplying faster the rest of us.