This is why cars have mirrors...

aleonet100

Two Stroke
I need a place to vent and this is the place to do it.

Got off the train today to find the tail light smashed to bits, the rear fender bent and the bike pushed forward and jammed against a fence. A note was left on the bike - "Backed into the bike. Please contact, name and number." BACKED into the bike?!!! How the hell do you do that?! You have to drive past a spot, look, decide - hey that's and empty spot, then back up and still not see a white and orange motorcycle!! WTF!!! Glad I wasn't sitting on the bike.

As I was assessing the damage the guy who did it comes up to me. He was on the same train apparently. What's really pissing me off is that he is being completely decent about it. His fault completely, already contacted his insurance and mine and is getting the ball rolling to fix it. I don't even get the satisfaction of telling him what a fricken' idiot he is. :mad2: He hit it with a Chevy Suburban. Apparently he was unaware what those shiny reflective things sticking out the sides are for.

The front end jammed against the fence and a small tree/bike rack is what really saved the bike. It had been pushed forward about 8 inches and the side stand was almost up. The tree held bike up along with the locked forks.

It's almost September and the bike is temporarily out of commission. Truly sucks.

Attachments

• IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0

MES

750cc
yes it sucks.
I went for a 700 mile ride, stopped 3 blocks from my house to grab a beer and some smokes and women runs OVER my bike in a parking lot. She hopped the curb and took off without a thought.
You'll live.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Maaaaan, that SUCKS!
:eek:

That's cool though that the guy is being up front about it, saves some hassles. I totally understand wanting to pull his hair out though....
That's why you can vent to us!
:fight3:
:cheers:

Get the front end of the bike completely checked out.
Could've tweaked the forks, or the rim, definitely some spokes might've been mucked with that lock in there. I kinda think the obvious broken taillight is just a red herring that may distract from more serious damage at the other end of the bike, like a coup-contracoup injury. I can see wanting to fix the light and get on the road ASAP, but you owe it to the Bonnie and to your safety to make sure she's tight and right.

-K

Bugger, bugger, bugger! Like Kframe says, get it checked out thoroughly. Hope the ins co doesn't drag it's heels and you are back on the road whilst you still have good weather.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Yep Bubber, them thar Suburbans are great fer truckin round an sech, but you gotta watch that thar blind spot right behin ya.

simpson

TT Racer
Good on him for owning up, and taking the beating that is coming to him from his insurance company.

-simpson

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Appreciate the fact that he was a decent person and didn't just drive away. Although it sucks, you take the risk when you take the bike out into the wide world. Everytime.

A coworker of mine knocked over my bike with a woodchipper in our parking lot and just stood the bike up then went home for the day and never said anything. The only way I found out who it was and got the damage paid for was because someone saw him and ratted him out.

cynr1023

TT Racer
Happened to me about 8 months after I had my bike, guy drove past the spot, backed into it and knocked mine over. We had the same insurance company and even though I moved to south florida the next day an adjuster showed up there three days after I got in. It sucks really really bad though and you want to punch him in the throat. Fuck it you weren't hurt and the bike can be fixed. Ride on. I used some of the insurance money to pay for mods instead of putting it back to stock.

aleonet100

Two Stroke
yes it sucks.
I went for a 700 mile ride, stopped 3 blocks from my house to grab a beer and some smokes and women runs OVER my bike in a parking lot. She hopped the curb and took off without a thought.
You'll live.

Ran it over?! Damn, that's hard to do.

See, that's the great part about venting. You always find out someone has it worse than you. :D

And I am grateful that he owned up to it. He may be a shitty driver but at least he's not a jerk.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Damn that sucks to hear. I must say you are very lucky that he owned up to it though. Here someone woulda parked on top of it and not said a damn thing. or just left and parked in another spot and went about their business. +1 on gettin her checked out in full.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Sorry for the PITA, but at least you weren't on it, and the guy is owning up to it and taking care of it. But as everyone else has said make sure to have everything checked out real good.

KingBear

Hooligan
I thought they were for this...
86531940.jpg

Bonniebret

Rocker
Sorry about your bike and WOW!! Yeah, I can't believe how the guy took ownership and responsibility of the situation. How sad is that today doing the right thing is such a rare trait we have acknowledge it?