Best mods for a Scrambler

Not that I'm saying that there's anything wrong with a stock Scram. But a lot of us soon find the limits of the tyres & suspension. Also, the 55 ponies that come standard, just aren't enough (IMO). & it's not long before many of us start looking for ways to harness a few more.
So what are the best mods for a Scrambler?
Well it depends on what you want to use it for, where it's going to get ridden, & of course, how much you're willing to spend. I can only tell you what I've done, & how I've found it. But if enough of us do that, I think we'll soon be able to build the perfect cyber-scram.:D

The suspension & tyres are the first things to improve, IMO, as the stock items can barely cope with the 55hp the factory intended for them. There are many suspension options out there. I went for Ikons, which I'm very happy with, but the main thing to make sure of is that you get a progressive rate system.
For tyres I've tried Michelin Anakee & Metzler Tourance. They're both good tyres, which are far superior to the original Bridgestones. But I think the Tourance is the best of the lot, especially in the dirt (though it is the most expensive). For serious dirt work Metzler Karoo are the way to go. I've never used them, as I ride too much bitumen, & that really wears them out quickly.
I also had to fit Excell rims front & rear, when I flat-spotted my rear rim. & I'd highly reccomend them, as they're not only stronger, but also way lighter. & they make a big difference to the handling.

My first engine mod was a Stage 1 Performance Kit from Thunderbike in Nelson NZ. This consisted of new cams & mufflers, with an AI removal kit, K&N filter & a rejet. I never had it dyno'd, but from the seat of the pants, I'd say it increased hp to around 62-65hp, which I was more than happy with (the words "I'm fucking rapt" were used often).
Still, fucking rapt only lasts for so long. & so the next addition to my engine's internals were a Wiseco 904 kit, with a Sth Bay head & high comp pistons, 39mm FCR Keihin carbs, K&N pods, Barnett's H/D clutch springs, & to keep it all tracking straight a steering dampner. This has taken the hp into the mid 70's (I haven't had it dyno'd since it bedded in, but it's a lot more powerful than when it made 70hp just after the rebuild). & if I was fucking rapt with the TB kit, I was completely fucking blown away by the 904!
The bike has now got the kind of power that I always thought it should have, but is still very usable as a Scrambler in the dirt. I don't think I'll be adding any more neddies though. A Scrambler's not a Thruxton (or a Bonnie) & would lose it's Scrambling abilities if you made it into one. So I'm happy with what I've got, & intend to get as much riding enjoyment out of my improved ride as I can.
But it ain't been cheap.
Ikons $800
Tourance tyres $500 (pair)
Excell rims $1000 (laced to my hubs)
TB Stage 1 kit $2000
904 kit $650
Sth Bay Head $1200
Keihin carbs $1200
nark kit $250
Steering dampner $125
Labour $1500
Total $9225 (AUD)
I guess that's why I'd be so loath to sell it. I mean, who's going to give me the $20K I'd want for it? & come to think of it, I'd rather have my beautiful Scram sitting in my garage than $20K sitting in the bank. It gives me interest I can really use.:)
OK that's my folly. How much dosh have you splashed on your ride?:D

Last edited:

NEPatriots9

Scooter
OS,
It's nice to see all the mods listed out like that, kind of gives those of us aspiring to the SuperScram a check list of necessary mods.

I've done mostly comfort mods to mine up to this point, new handlebars, gel seat and upgraded suspension, all tolled about $500.00

The first thing I did was add TORs and have the AI removed. I have since looked heavily at the Thunderbike pipes, but unlike you OS, I am married and have to pass all expenses by my wife....shitty.

My upcoming mod rounds will be performance based, nology coil, hot wires and iridium plugs, then hopefully air box removal and carb update.

It doesn't help that my local, (200 mile away), dealer is loathe to do any of these modifications. I just found an independent shop that would do this work, so that makes it a little easier.

Long story short, I have put about $2000 into my Scram, with a long way to go to get it to where I would like it.

rmak

moped
Yep. I agree with the patriot. That's a very useful list of potential performance upgrades. And like him I got a wife with other priorities (she wanted, and got, a refrigerator with the freezer on the side, now she wants one with the freezer on the bottom. What's up with that!?).

So the problem I'm always struggling with is-What is the best bang-for-the-buck speed upgrade when you can't go the whole route like Old Scratcher did right away? Also, in what order do you do the performance mods? My issue is with engine changes. I know the suspension/tires need work too, but these changes seem staight-forward.

I did the TOR's and NARC first, but I really don't know what to do next. It seems like OS's list suggests Thunderbike cams. But would they be a good idea without changing to more free flow exhaust? $$ I've read that a carb upgrade at this point would be overkill without increased cubic inches. NCpatriots is going to do an ignition upgrade which I read doesn't affect peformance. But this is just what I read on the internet and may have no basis in truth.

Another concern I've always had is how much grunt can you add to the top end of the engine without adversly affecting the lower end of the engine over the long haul? How much power added before you have to start thinking about the stopping power of the brakes?

I want to keep this bike a long time, so I want to make sensible improvements with my limited budget in a logical way. Whatdayathink?

Last edited:

NEPatriots9

Scooter
RMak, thats the spot I think many of us get too, the next steps are really expensive and how much enjoyment are you really going to get from the bike when it becomes SuperScram.

I have the suspension upgrade via Ikon and really like it, not too expensive, maybe the best bang for the buck after the TORs.

Next will be the NARK and Thunderbike full exhaust system, then the street cams.

I think after going to the 904 and other performance upgrads OS put on bigger brakes and a steering dampner, though I may be wrong.

Heady stuff Rmak, heady stuff...

I'm dropping my Scrambler off for new shoes today! I went with the Metzler Tourance. The Deathwings are done after 7,000 miles (thank god!)

NEPatriots9

Scooter
Kevin,
You'll like the Tourances, much better feel than the Trail Wings, really hug the road, not iffy in the corners. While you're there have them throw on the gel seat:D

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
In terms of visual mods, here's a Scrambler I wouldn't mind having:
CustomScrambler2.jpg

That bike's also got Metzler Karoo tyres on it, which are the tyre of choice for dirt work, but not bitumen, where they wear rapidly.
If I had to pick one engine mod, it'd be the TB kit. It's the cheapest, is tailor-made for a Scram, & gives the most noticable performance lift, without taking the bike into realms where you feel the need for a steering dampner.
BTW I haven't upgraded the brakes, yet. Though it is on my "to do" list (but your Mamma's still on top):D

Last edited:

NEPatriots9

Scooter
Oh, snap Scratch, nobody talks about my mother, time for a dance off, your place or mine?

Couple of questions for you,
- did you go with the headers or just the slip ons as far as the Thunderbike kit goes.

- if you were goin to drop that kind of cash again would you do the TB pipes or thosr shotgun style on New Bonneville?

Gee I'd love to say yeah, it's break-dancing at 20 paces. Only thing is these days when I dance I really do break.:D
As for the TB kit, I think you probably could use other mufflers with the right jetting & tuning. When my pipes wear out I think I'll be going with the BRM system, mainly because I like the little kink in the pipe to accomodate my leg, as it'll put less pressure on my bung hip, & allow me more ride time.
But that just suits my unique needs, & there are plenty of cool systems for Scramblers now. I especially like that black Zard job (though only on a black engine) & the Arrow system that Triumph are marketing is pretty good too.
I think all of those have removable baffles, & could be jetted to run with TB cams.
PS I think Sth Bay do a range of cam profiles, & I'm sure they'd have something optomised for a Scram as well.

rmak

moped
Well, damnshitpisshell! (I hadn't swore on this forum yet and was worried the moderators would start jumping in my case for unseemly behavior:D:mad::p)

Sounds like cams would be the next thing to look at. I checked with South Bay and their's are $695.00 (USD) so they are cheaper than Thunderbike, especially for us in the US. Probably should do my part to stimulate the economy here, even though I'd prefer TB's, cause they're proven to be good by OS.

I've been too busy to check the manual. Are there any special tools needed for a cam swap? Are there any cautions or things I could screw up beyond repair if I did the work myself? Any other resources (videos?)

I'm a rider not a wrencher. So I paid to have the TB kit fitted. But I believe that it's a pretty straight forward swap. The only tricky bits are spiltting & re-joining the cam chain, & making sure you don't drop it (or anything else) down the chain tunnel. As well as rejetting the carbs. The rest is looks to be piss easy.
NB. If you go the STh Bay route you'll need to add an AI removal kit, K&N filter, & the new jets to your purchase price.

rmak

moped
I just noticed that a Triumph Performance guy is on this forum. I asked him about what they offer in Scram cams.

Looking over their website, I figure with another $4,000 plus labor I could get a pretty quick machine (& a fat rear tire)

Pokeyjoe

Scooter
I put the Hagon progressives and Nitros on my bike at lunch today (sure doesn't take very long). what a nice upgrade. The suspension is still a little stiff, but it doesn't knock my teeth out anymore. Now I just need some decent tires. I'm certainly considering the Tourances based on all the good things I've read, but I'm looking around, too. Has anyone heard anything about the Continental Escapes?

escape.jpg

Or maybe the Dunlop D607?

83_1_closeup.jpg

Or maybe Pirelli Scorpian MT90?

img_scorpionmt90st.jpg

Last edited:

GuyM

Street Tracker
Don't have a lot of mods & accessories in mind...

Needed to carry stuff with me first of all so went with a Core Tech tank bag, the 14 liter model. Now somebody mentioned that theirs failed on a long trip. :( So far so good with mine.

Also went with the Ventura rack/pack system. Carries more than enough for me! :D

Got tired of the eastern Washington wind knocking the daylights out of me so I ordered up the Triumph fly screen - not much protection - but if it takes a bite out of the wind, that will be enough.

Shocks... Hmmm... Need something better, not sure what yet...

Tires - really want two sets all mounted and ready to go, TKC's and Tourances - but that's not going to happen. Still running the stockers so far. Not bad, but could be better. Good on most dirt roads.

Power & attitude - I'd love to spice this thing up a tad - pick up a little power and some 'tude. :D Thinking TOR's, re-jet, and ??? Dunno. We'll see. Maybe drop the gearing a little for quicker pickup too... Beats me...

Oh yeah - given all the rocks & logs and such, I'd probably better get a skid plate of some kind.

We'll see where it goes - I don't want to heavily mod the Scram, but I do want to improve on it a bit.

Regards, Guy

rmak

moped
You know, I got to tell you guys, I just did a feedback survey for Triumph about my 07 Scram. After my usual bitching about suspension, tire and horsepower I started to think....I enjoy working on my bike and making plans for making it better almost as much as riding it. In that sense, I think my bike is just perfect in its imperfection. I'd really be bored if it was a high end Ducati or something like that and all I could do was ride it. What the hell would I do during the cold winter months? Everything I want to do to it (everything on Old Scratcher's list) is available and accessible. When I save up the $$ and do something to my bike I feel good about it and it becomes more my own. I'm not exactly sure what I'm rambling on about. I guess I'll tell Triumph they did a good job making a bike with obvious deficits next time they ask.