DIY Tooless seat bolts...for less than $5

So after all the drama Ive had with my bike (vandalized front tire, Bonnie not running because it was out of gas), I finally have time to post up a set of Seat Bolt Extensions I made out of grip tape and and common hardware.

We've all seen the ones you can get for close to over $30.

After pondering this idea for months, I was able to come up with a simple solution. And I can't believe it took me this long to think about it. Below is a picture of said item.

IMG_0899.jpg

The hardware I got from Lowes.

You will need the following:

2 bolts...size M6 x 80mm
2 locking nuts (the ones with the nylon inside)...size M6
grip tape

Its pretty self explanatory...spin locking nuts on until you reach the end of the threads

Wrap grip tape around the bolt to for grip. If I had access to a lathe to put knurling on them I would have.

That's it

Total cost....less than $5

And final product...on the bike...securing my seat really good:

IMG_0900.jpg

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I don't know. If vandalizing your bike is a concern, don't think that installing bolts that allow easy access to the battery is a good idea. The big problem with that type of bolt retention is applying enough torque by hand to overcome their tendency to work loose by vibration.
Good Luck.

I don't know. If vandalizing your bike is a concern, don't think that installing bolts that allow easy access to the battery is a good idea. The big problem with that type of bolt retention is applying enough torque by hand to overcome their tendency to work loose by vibration.
Good Luck.

The vandalism happened at my ex's place. Since she's now ex I won't be visiting her place as much. As for bolt retention, I agree...so every now and then I check to make sure they haven't come loose. I also keep a spare 10mm socket in my pocket. That REALLY tightens it down.

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
I have the same on my seat. I think I'll add some grip tape. They do tend to work loose eventually, but a quick twist is easy enough as part of the pre-ride ritual.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Nice job, and I kinda like the Triumph script. Definitely Lowbrow Custom!
-A fellow Lowbrow Weirdo

One things for sure.. you don't have to worry about anyone stealing your seat. Whad'ja use to paint the TRIUMPH script?.. a 1/2" brush?..

Actually used a pinpoint brush. Its one of those things where it looks good from far but when you get really close looks far from good. And if it keeps people from stealing my seat...even better

Bonniebret

Rocker
Actually used a pinpoint brush. Its one of those things where it looks good from far but when you get really close looks far from good. And if it keeps people from stealing my seat...even better

Good for you and bonus points for the Lowbrow sticker.

Pete R

Banned
I was wundren what I could use for this purpose. I knew I'd seen knurled knobs/rings before but couldn't remember where. Then in the middle of the night it hit me - Fender Telecaster guitar knobs! (You'd think I'd realised quicker, owning a guitar shop and all :rolleyes: )

I used some chrome ones for the sidecovers too. All's I did was cut the heads off some M6 bolts, filed a flat on one end for the grubscrew to bite on, used copious amounts of loctite and voyla!

Actually there's a veritable shitload of different guitar knobs available - skulls, dice etc etc

:cheers:

chrome.jpg

seatblack.jpg

sidecoverchrome.jpg

I'll go against the grain here (again!), why the hell would you want to make it easier for some arsehole to mess with your bike by making it easier for them to access???

Guys, it's not exactly a chore to spin off the sidecover bolt and use the Allen key on the seat bolts. Yeah, sure, any clued-up lowlife scumbag could do it as well (which is why my Allen key isn't there anymore), but no need to make it easier for the scrotes!

Cheers,

Pikey.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
All depends on your situation.

I don't commute or leave the bike un-attended for any length of time.

The Bonnie is only parked (in view) outside a coffee shop or road side patio for lunch. Other than that……running short errands to the hardware store or such in a quiet, small town.

:cheers: