Chopper vs Sportbike - A Serious Marketing Question

Ninja K

Two Stroke
As much as I don't like choppers, I would say go with the chopper only because I think they are more eye catching than sportbikes to the average person. Also if you are targeting an American consumer, it's something that's more identifiable and more "American". IMO sportbikes all look the same to the average person.

I say go neither route...

I say take a risk and mod out a Scrambler or similar.

Since motorcycles were commonly used around World War 2, I say instead of going with either extreme of Chopper and Sportbike, go in the middle...work on a "standard." At least doing that you are paying tribute. I would go about with a neo-military looking like look for it

If done right, it would definately stick out more because its not a typical customed out chopper or sportbike.

Just my 2 pennies

Add to answer your questions....

As you said, most people (the average person) only know the names Colt, Glock, and S&W. At least if you mod out say a Scrambler, it has the similar looks of the bike Steve McQueen used on The Great Escape. Im not sure what brand guns the Germans during World War II.

I believe the image and nature of HK is quality handguns. Its not about show, but its about reliability. Parallel a simple yet reliable bike like a Scrambler and it accomplishes that goal.

Using a standard bike eliminates any preconceived negative associations too. Using a sportbike unfortunately the general crowd thinks " young squid." Using a cruiser thinks "hell angels." On a standard...no known negative associations.

If done right, if you add a neo-military looking flare with a touch of old school military look to it, it would attract the young crowd as well as middle aged men getting into guns.

Last edited:
How about a kickass car? New Camaro/Mustang/Challenger?

Seems like the gun owning masses would prefer a car or a chopper to a sportbike, but that's just me generalizing and stereotyping.

DandyDoug

750cc
Using a Chopper as a marketing tool is pase' to say the least. The type is dead , has no resemblance/ tie in, to your weapons maker.

I would think a Bobber might work ok if it is dressed right and marketed as a "Bad Boy image in conjunction with the H & K brand.

A better choice by far would be a Truimph Bonneville or a Scrambler, play off the Steve McQueen connection. A no brainer IMHO.

Sport bike ? Not a chance in hell, other than a moron connection to street stunters. Not at all a popular connection to the general public.

You might look at the age/income/education demographic of the typical H & K buyer to see if there are any clues there.

curezee

Street Tracker
M2C ... If this is for HK then perhaps something custom and built up along the lines of a BMW GS 1200 Adventure only much more badass and gun related.

Something like this only loose the cheesy flames and make it look meaner. Maybe add some HK artillery and labeling etc. Slight hint of mad max maybe.

jesse-james-bmw-r-1200-gs-300x226.jpg

images

I kind of dig the 2nd pic pencil drawing as a base to start with. Anyhow M2C for a HK themed bike.

:up:

Last edited:

em_dot

Street Tracker
Choppers jumped the shark some time ago. Then again, you could get a Big Dog Chopper on Craigslist for next to nothing and start there... but nah! Maybe a tactical vehicle of some kind, but how many over the top Hummers have you seen over the years.

Currently, nothing says "Cop" like a Charger or a Mustang. I say do a Charger.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
If sticking with a motorcycle theme...chopper. It doesn't have to be as over the top or as expensive as an OCC chopper.
The theme of the company can still be integrated. Choppers are all about visual statement. Visual statement will contribute more to ROI than a stretched sportbike with bling and graphics. The substantive value of the vehicle is really nebulous. A theme chopper is more of a visual statement and will create more ROI.
If going the car route...even though it is already being overdone, the new Camaro would be a great platform...with Foose bolt ons and the right graphics.

Last edited:

dscott3509

Two Stroke
I'm a non-gun person, not against them, just that I've never been around them. I'm only familiar with the HK brand (and honestly, I am uncertain on how to properly pronounce the name) from either video games or through friends' comments. My impression of them is something modern, something sexy, and more technologically involved.

On the motorcycle side, I'm also relatively ignorant, only a new rider, and on my second bike. First a Bonnie and now a Sprint ST. Choppers have never said sexy, modern, or advanced to me. (Again, keep in mind my ignorance about bikes.) I also think that choppers have run their course with being unique.

I don't think it has to be a sportbike vs. chopper discussion, there are several other types of bikes mentioned that can be picked. The BMW is a good idea, the Scrambler style is a good idea, or even a sportbike can work. Depends on who the target audience is, I guess. Here are links to pics that a friend took of a bike at Sportbike NW.

Pic 1
Pic 2

(Safe for work, hosted by photobucket, but not my pics, and they are large pics, so I didn't want to display them directly.)

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Somehow the image of a motorcycle representing a gun manufacturer is a bit tangenital IMO.
I would guess though, if a motorcycle was what the company wants to use to represent its self that a custom chopper would be the way to go. That way you can get creative and express many of the elements of weapons on the bike its self.
Using a sportbike pretty much eliminates the addition of representative hardware and forces you to do something with paint and/or decals.
My guess would be the custom chopper.

mark66

TT Racer
For me it gets down to who is your main marketing target. If its the general US public consumer (gun enthusiast) then you go with the chopper. The chopper still makes you think Harley (I know there's plenty of other choppers) but V Twins make you see HD on the tank, and when you ride around my area on a weekend there is no doubt what bike manufacturer has out sold all the rest. So there is a large buying population out there that would identify with the chopper. However from your company's website it appears that your main target consumer is law enforcement and the military. A high tech sport bike might just be the image they would love to see. I could see a sport type on road/off rode bike like KTM or BMW and the new Ducati coming next year for the military and lawenforcement that make them think of mobility and freedom to ride after whatever challenge may come their way. Of course their armed and protected with your products.

Gretsch

Rocker
Well...I always think of the MK23 when I think of H&K. Indestructible, reliable, chunky, and the only hand gun you'd want in the event of the apocalypse. Since a Humvee with Z-Day mod's is out, how about doing a Heavily moded BMW K1200R (like the Resident Evil bike but tougher)? Trick it out to have off road capabilities too. Utilitarian to the extreme.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Reflect on a gun's design: you'll probably visualize a device with no extra moving parts, total reliability, simple to disassemble/reassemble. And to use one of H-K's own phrases, it should be "technologically advanced" and have "long-term durability."

Those values are NOT reflected in a V-twin chopper.

An elegant, minimalist bike with precision parts designed by Seth "D9" works for me.

Last edited:

Toro

moped
So, this would be my first post but you've hit on a couple topics right in my wheelhouse. Marketing, motorcycles and guns. You're a set of nipples away from everything I know about life.

HK to me is cutting edge high quality with an incredibly strong tradition of performance under any circumstance. That would take a chopper out for me. I like the idea of the BMW but maybe go with one of their new high end sport bikes and create the fairings and body work out of the same fiber reinforced poly used in the guns. Make it "modular" to switch between a full fairing but allow that to be removed to switch to a classic Rickman style fairing made from the same material. Include two separate tail sections and seats to fit the appropriate styles and show a bike that is on the cutting edge of performance but is customizable to individual taste and preference.

For my own preference make it off a speed triple platform up the rear sprocket a notch, hit the arrow racing exhaust with clip-ons and a tank that would flow for both platforms.

Can I request one for myself as well?

ssjones

750cc
High tech streetfighter - ala some recent Roland Sands creations. Use a v-twin engine for broader appeal. Streetfighters are kind of seen as purposeful weapons, just like an H&K.

What is your role at H&K and do they have a local presence? (Maryland)

3_4_Right1.jpg

hk_p3000.jpg

as much as I think Roland Sands is a douchebag, I do like some of his designs. The bike above is cool, but toned down a bit would be better.

Gretsch

Rocker
So, this would be my first post but you've hit on a couple topics right in my wheelhouse. Marketing, motorcycles and guns. You're a set of nipples away from everything I know about life.

HK to me is cutting edge high quality with an incredibly strong tradition of performance under any circumstance. That would take a chopper out for me. I like the idea of the BMW but maybe go with one of their new high end sport bikes and create the fairings and body work out of the same fiber reinforced poly used in the guns. Make it "modular" to switch between a full fairing but allow that to be removed to switch to a classic Rickman style fairing made from the same material. Include two separate tail sections and seats to fit the appropriate styles and show a bike that is on the cutting edge of performance but is customizable to individual taste and preference.

For my own preference make it off a speed triple platform up the rear sprocket a notch, hit the arrow racing exhaust with clip-ons and a tank that would flow for both platforms.

Can I request one for myself as well?

+1 on the S3! Blacked out and minimal, this would be my choice for a H&K bike.