HELP!!! My Bonnie sputters, stalls out and can't restart it

So after getting my new set of tires put on and about to take my Bonnie out for a spin, I have a new set of problems.

I started her up just fine. Pulled the choke knob for a bit, started it up, let it idle for a few seconds, pushed it back in, backed it out of my driveway, let it idle for a couple minutes as I put on my helmet and gloves and take-off.

As I take off, the bike feels really sluggish and is sputtering like I ran out of gas. I checked to make sure the petcock was flipped to ON (which it was). As I was riding, it would sputter, ride fine, sputter, and then eventually is just died. I tried restarting it but couldnt. The starter motor spins just fine but it just doesn't catch and turn over. I then tried twisting the throttle three times and hitting the starter button as Im giving it gas. At one point it started and idled ok, but as soon as I gave it gas, it died. Eventually I got it started and rode back home, but was having the same sputtering problem and eventually dying out.

I know it can't be the battery because I keep it on a tender. I was thinking it could be the coil (the one under the gas tank) because at times the bike would die out sitting at a stop light and prior to this incident the times dying out sitting at a stop light has become more frequent.

However paranoia is setting in because due to my recent incident of the mystery person knifing my tires Im thinking the toolbag may have poured water or sugar down my tank since I don't have a locking gas cap.

I ordered a Nology Coil off www.newbonneville.com in hopes that this may fix my problem.

I hope to God its not the Igniter because if it is, my warranty expired and an Igniter is almost $700.00

Can you guys give me other possible causes for my new problem? Is there other simple things I may have overlooked as possible causes?

Please help me out :mad2:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
In No Particular Order:

Check the rubber covers on the vacuum ports on the carbs for cracks.

Check the petcock for clogs.

Check for a clog in the gas tank overflow hose.

Check to make sure the carb rubbers on the airbox and motor sides are seated.

Crank the idle set screw in - maybe some tool fucked with it.

Rebalance the carbs, see above about the tool.

Pop off and reseat the wires to the spark plugs.

Check the spark plugs.

Check the reserve switch AGAIN.

Check the gas tank for fuel (I know, I know, but ask Hedge about this one).

Did I miss anything?

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I'd take the gas cap off and see if it runs normal, first thing. bluej is right on with the rest of it.. I'd probably first thing drain the tank and check for sediment, etc; then put fresh gas in it.

mark66

TT Racer
+1 on the last 2 posts from BlueJ and TC, and don't forget to drain the float bowls. Could be water in there also. Did you recently fill her up?

Problem solved.......and quite embarassing....

YES!!! I solved the problem....(but quite embarassing).....guess what it was......

I RAN OUT OF GAS!!! I should have been in RESERVE the whole time instead of on the ON switch

(the story even gets better on how I found out).

So after reading all possibilies on this forum and RAT, I started to go by step by step

1st...looked for cracked vacuum plugs...didn't find any

2nd...looked for cracked vacuum lines. Checked them all...all look good

3rd...looked for cracks on intake boots...all look fine

4th...checked to see if vent tube is blocked. Shot compressed air from the vent hole on top of tank...seemed fine.

5th...go for a ride again and this time have cap off or loose...was able to turn her on, flipped switch to ON...rode for like .1 miles...rode fine...then sputtered and died....had to walk her back home

6th...check tube...took off tank...swished gas around...gas in there. Placed tank on top of table

7th...with tank off, check for crushed wires and double check vent tube for gas tank...no crushed wires. Air through vent tube was fine

8th. Test resistance of Ignition Coil. Per Forchetto (from RAT forum), seems like I have a slight short...orderd a Nology Coil a few hours prior. PM'd Forchetto about what the ohm resistance numbers I got meant.

9th...check petcock for blockage and drain gas and put new gas. Gas flows fine from RES. Gas doesn't flow from ON. Hmmm..is the ON side blocked?

THEN IT DAWNS ON ME

"Hmm...this tank feels light.....DING DING DING....am I really just out of gas???"

10th...swish remaining gas around to see if I can get some through the ON tube....gas came out. Recheck emails and Forchetto says I have a short...says bike should still run, but not getting the best performance out of it. Now I think getting a new coil won't really solve any issues. Check email from newbonneville and it says item has shipped...SHIT!!! Too late to call and cancel order.

11th...petcock is okay...drain out gas and see how much comes out....turns out only about a half gallon comes out....THIS HAS TO BE IT!!! Stupid me.

12th...go and get gas and put into a gas can. Come back. Button everything up on my bike...fill the tank up...start her up, do a 10 mile test ride....bike runs fine.

THEN IT DAWNS ON ME HOW I FORGOT ABOUT HOW I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON RESERVE AND NOT ON THE ON SWITCH....

On my way to my ex, my bike sputtered and I flipped to reserve. I reset the trip meter to zero to track how far Im going on the reserve. I get to her place. I have dinner with her friends. Go back to her place....and well...uh....yeah....:boobeyes:. Wake up, find my front tire flat. Have to spend all day getting my trailer and bringing my bike back to my place. Get it back, post on here about if my front tire is still good to use. A few days pass, I get new front tire. Get new tires installed...reinstall tires.

When I was about to head to work, saw that my trip meter said 8 miles and was under the impression I had already filled up my bike was used up 8 miles worth of gas from full...not 8 miles used o reserve. And then...the rest is history.

So yeah...I feel like a dumbass...but happy Im back on the road and it wasn't something major...it just too bad I got a Nology coil on the way fro newbonneville and questioning if I should just return it.

When it comes to gassing up, I have a routine since my commute is practically the same. Just goes to show when your normal routine is broken, it can really fuck shit up. I guess Hedge isn't alone on this one

Last edited:

mark66

TT Racer
Cool, and funny! But, look at it this way, you got yourself some valuable troubleshooting experience. Now have a beer.:beer:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Toob, I almost asked if you checked to see if there was gas but I figured, "Nah. You're the only one that does that, Bret".

Same thing happened to me after I pulled the airbox and re-jetted. I rode home and was working on the carbs in my garage. After tweaking everything it wouldn't start. Everything was the way you described. Finally I turned the petcock and realized it turned really easy. I checked and no gas. Go figure. I had forgotten I was on reserve and just enough for the 14 mile trek from my mechanics to my garage.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
11th...petcock is okay...drain out gas and see how much comes out....turns out only about a half gallon comes out....THIS HAS TO BE IT!!! Stupid me.

Did you swish the gas from the right side over to the left when you had the tank off? If not, there is possibly something fucked up with your petcock, or you may have some sediment in the tank. You shouldn't get 1/2 gallon out when you've already run it dry unless it's the gas from the right side.

Did you swish the gas from the right side over to the left when you had the tank off? If not, there is possibly something fucked up with your petcock, or you may have some sediment in the tank. You shouldn't get 1/2 gallon out when you've already run it dry unless it's the gas from the right side.

Yep...swished it around.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Glad you figured out it was OPERATOR ERROR and not your Triumph but I have to ask, Why was the first thing you ordered to fix it, a coil? I mean, of all things. Did you run any test on the "broken" coil before placing your order for the new one or have you just been pining to replace your stock piece and were just hoping this new Gollywhomper Coil would fix your grimlin? Oh well it doesn't matter now anyway.
Hope you catch your mystery sabotuer!

koifarm

Hooligan
Done there, been that!......always when you least expect it! Although it's a good idea to pull the petcock at least once a year and flush out the tank and the filter screens, Triumph has been known to have flakes of paint on the inside of some tanks....I know mine (an 07) had a bunch of crud in there when I had a look.

Glad you figured out it was OPERATOR ERROR and not your Triumph but I have to ask, Why was the first thing you ordered to fix it, a coil? I mean, of all things. Did you run any test on the "broken" coil before placing your order for the new one or have you just been pining to replace your stock piece and were just hoping this new Gollywhomper Coil would fix your grimlin? Oh well it doesn't matter now anyway.
Hope you catch your mystery sabotuer!

I ordered first since a lot of problems and symtoms I had pointed that direction. I did run a test on it and it showed a lot less resistance than a proper working one...so seeing the resistence #s made me think I justified my purchase. When I PM'd a guy from the RAT site he said that the bike should still run but it won't be running at optimum.

So even after ordering it, Im debating if I should return it or not since my current OEM coil still works, but not at its peak. The shipping costs and restocking fee of 15% of $85 is whats kinda keeping me from returning it (which by the way I still haven't received it).

I do plan on modding my Bonnie also, but not for a while.

koifarm

Hooligan
If you can afford it, why not keep the new one as a spare, if the one on your bike is showing signs of deterioration you'll need a new one soon anyway....