tool for reaching sync adjustment

mark66

TT Racer
Can any of you guys point me to a good tool for adjusting the screw for a carb sync? Did it once and had to remove the fuel tank and set all that up to run the bike, pain in the ass. My hand is to big to get in there with the tank on and I found a tool on BC but its like $100. After searching the web awhile I gave up. For such a simple test/adjustment there has to be some tool that doesn't cost a $100. This is almost turning into a rant, isn't it?:crazy::crazy:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I found something at the local Home Despot for $6.99, and it worked OK. But what worked even better was taking a short phillips head screwdriver and hacksawing off most of the handle. Or I could have gotten this, for $3.67.

Sync on!!

Bonniebret

Rocker
I use one of these and it's ok. I have to pay attention because the whole ratchet thing gets fussy. I'd like to try the one BlueJ has. The Craftsman version is too tall to fit.

009417160001.jpg

I use the mini-ratchet from Home Depot. An offset screwdriver with a fixed bit might require too much turning and fiddling to get it seated in the screw. The mini-ratchet can be turned to suit, although you have to pull it out and adjust it to change direction.

The mini-ratchet is also handy for taking the carburetor tops and bottoms off without removing the carbs. All-in-all, with the right set of bits, it's a handy tool for the tight spots.

Last edited:

mark66

TT Racer
Thanks for the ideas. I was suffering from a brain freeze, or is it old age?:pick: I had tried my mini ratchet with a philips bit but it seemed to be a little to tall. Will keep Home Depot in mind for one.
Bonniebret you jogged my memory with your picture. I forgot I had a few of those ratchet wrenches in the back of one of the draws in the tool box. One is about 10 inches long and with a little tape on the bit it fits tight in the wrench. Will give it a go later today.

drlapo

Hooligan
motion pro sells a "bent" screw driver that you "twist" to turn the bit
it's designed for carb screws

mark66

TT Racer
motion pro sells a "bent" screw driver that you "twist" to turn the bit
it's designed for carb screws

I was looking at those also but I wasn't sure they had that twist feature but then figured they wouldn't be much good if they didn't twist. Good to know, thanks.