Bonneville foot peg lowering

DandyDoug

750cc
I helped in install a foot peg lowering kit on a friends bike the other day, he thought they came from someone named MODRE ( not sure about the spelling)
Dropped the pegs about an inch and a half, helped relieve some knee pain and pressure for my friend. He had picked them up used but did not remember exactly where he got them.

Does anyone know where I might find a set of foot peg lowering mounts for a 2005 , T100 ?
Pretty slick item IMHO

koifarm

Hooligan
That would be Modre for sure....I've got a set of his. I'm not sure if he is still on the forum, I seem to remember some sort of situation between him and the Dude but am not sure if that got resolved or not. You might also try the other forum as well, he may be on that one.
Another quick fix is swapping sides, try a search in this forum for that application. As I recall you swap sides but end up with the little scraper studs being in the wrong place and may have to be removed.
No doubt someone will chime in here in a short while to add to the confusion....lol...
Note: A quick search of members shows him no longer on this forum. Try the 'other' web forum.

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
There is another gent from the UK making a knock off of Modre's design. Chicken and egg, don't know which one came first. ;) Since I am not a fan of Modre personally I installed a set from the gent out of the UK...available at the time from ebay. I installed them briefly on my T100 and in spite of long legs, I did NOT like them...so be careful what you wish for. That said the stock peg position isn't right for me either...hips are too constrained...at least with long legs. Enter Norman Hyde rearsets which will be on my bike shortly....they just arrived. Keep in mind that your feet somewhat dictate your torso angle when riding the bike. With lowered footpegs, not only do your pegs scrape much more easily but your torso is now more supported by your hands versus hips. This doesn't work for everybody. Also the change in knee angle between lowering pegs and stock position is very minor.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

DandyDoug

750cc
Thanks guy's.
I had not considered that lowering the pegs would affect the shoulder position. Mine is perfect in that respect after much bar swapping and angle adjusting. Maybe I'll just leave the pegs as is and stretch a bit more before and during rides to get the kinks out of the old knees.:drive:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
A cheap experiment you can try is place your feet on the rear pegs when open road cruising. If you like this position, then you are likely a candidate for rearsets. If you think about feet position...in simple terms, the feet can go back, down or forward. Going straight down is the most restrictive so you may prefer rotating rearward a bit which is the "standard" sport touring riding position because for many this is the most comfortable position for long distance riding which also helps getting out of the wind a bit.

DandyDoug

750cc
I use the passenger pegs a lot on longer rides, it does throw more weight on my hands and shoulders so I can only do it for a short time.

I ride with the passenger pegs down at the request of Scott's daughter so he has a place on my bike most days . I think of him every time I ride and still miss him terribly. Let's all never forget to whom this forum is dedicated. Thanks again Dude !!

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I have had Modre's kit for several years now. It was the best money that I spent on my bike as I no longer get leg cramps. I am 6'1" with long legs and short torso.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Going to straight pegs on stock Bonneville mounts seems to be an effective low-buck semi-rearset, moving the foot position slightly up/back. The problem I've seen so far is not in moving the stock pegs, but in getting the shifter in a place that it can be easily accessed. I tried straight pegs on my '07 Bonne, wanting stronger pegs (I'd heard of stock Bonne pegs breaking), but they put the shift lever too far forward for comfort, forcing me to put my heel on the footpeg in order to reach the shifter. The rear brake pedal isn't too far out of reach, I can get enough of a boot on it to get the job done. I'm working on an adapter to move the shifter peg back about 1", allowing me to use stronger straight pegs.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Comfort on the bike is as much about hip angle as it is knee bend. This is why moving the peg back helps...it rotates the hips down which takes pressure off the back and easier to reach the handlebars without strain. Below is Arctic's excellent comparison pic of Hyde rearsets versus the stock mid peg position. Note how his femur is angled more down which unhinges his hips with the rearsets. Also note how his toe is "lower" with the rearsets. This belies what many believe...that a higher rearset peg position is
a more restrictive position...not so. As the peg moves back, your toe rotates down...why both shifter and brake levers are angled downward accordingly with rearsets...which is a freer position as toe position dicates the height of resulting leg position. You can try that experiment with the stock pegs...if you scoot all the way to the front up to the tank..feet rotate down and can feel the hips release. The Hyde rearset position replicates the common sports touring position found on many long distance touring bikes. I am about 1-2 weeks away from having Hyde rearsets installed on my T100 which is under the knife right now for LSL headlight bracket and ignition switch relo. Hyde rearsets are on the list after the above. A tip is...you can order the rearsets from Mr. Hyde directly from his site and save a few bucks over US suppliers with the current exchange rate. As many know the Hyde rearset design melds beautifully with the bonnie frame and look like they came from the factory...a credit to his design prowess...he designs and sells really nice stuff. Also looking them over a bit, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to relocate the peg position to tweak them to personal taste by simply fashioning different mounting plates which are flat and relatively easy to make...much easier for example than relocating stock pegs because with the Hyde rearsets both shifter and brake levers pivot right at the base of each peg.
Cheers.
PS: Pic of my bike in progress below.

Attachments

• Arctic with Hyde Rearsets.jpg
    Arctic with Hyde Rearsets.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • LSL Headlight Brkt Install 038 Resize.jpg
    LSL Headlight Brkt Install 038 Resize.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DandyDoug

750cc
Thanks, that is probably the best explanation and set of photo's I have seen .
I may give the rear set's a shot after i ride for a while on the seat I just picked up last week.
It's an OEM Bonneville seat that was cut down about an inch and refoamed with some fairly stiff dual density foam. The first 100 miles on it were absolutely eye opening for me. No neck or shoulder pain, and no stiffnes in my knees. If the weather either cools off a bit or dry's out I'll put several hundred more on the clock and see how it feels then. I'm scheduled for an all day ride on Tuesday if it isn't raining.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
It's an OEM Bonneville seat that was cut down about an inch and refoamed with some fairly stiff dual density foam.

Hey DandyDoug, who did the redesign of the seat?
I called and spoke with a fella from Sargents down in Jacksonville FL about my Bonnies seat and he mentioned about using a dual density foam saying that they recommend at least 1.5 inches of the stuff between your bohiney and the seat pan. Makes sense to me so I guess I'm gonna have to just pick a two week period of time and send off my saddle. As high as the humidity has been lately around here it might just be this next week!
Has anyone on the forum used Sargents out of J'ville before and were you satisfied by what you got back?
Thanks

DandyDoug

750cc
My current seat came from a friend on the NTBF, he had it done when he lived in NY by a guy called STINKY or Stinker , don't remember which.

I refoamed another seat using the Sargents super foam. I went with a piece
"2" thick and it was too much by itself. That seat has been redone a couple times and now is a mix of their product and some medical grade memory foam.
If I were to do it all over again I'd just send Sargents the seat and let them do it properly.

I don't know where you live but if you want, I can loan you a seat while yours is out for refoaming. You pay the postage each way from 27023, let me know.