Forward Controls on Bonneville?

TXRider60

Scooter
Will "forward controls" for an America adapt to a standard Bonneville? I don't want a cruiser-- I'm just an old guy with bad knees (40 years ago I liked rear-sets)! Only little problem with my new Bonnie is that the pegs are a bit high-- I keep catching my feet under them while trying to plant them on top of them, so could use a couple of inches down and even a few inches forward. These controls are on eBay for about 2 more hours. Will they work?

TXRider60

Scooter
Since posting, I've found earlier posts about peg lowering-- a couple of inches might do it (I even caught my pant leg on the post on the way up as the light turned green, once). Even loud input is appreciated! :)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Will "forward controls" for an America adapt to a standard Bonneville? I don't want a cruiser-- I'm just an old guy with bad knees (40 years ago I liked rear-sets)! Only little problem with my new Bonnie is that the pegs are a bit high-- I keep catching my feet under them while trying to plant them on top of them, so could use a couple of inches down and even a few inches forward. These controls are on eBay for about 2 more hours. Will they work?
They won't fit as dr said. The forward mounting plate interferes with the bonnie headers for one thing. Could they be made to fit?...with maybe a change to headers...almost certainly. Depends how bad you want them. This is a case with...be careful what you wish for as you will likely exchange one pain for another. Have you ever owned a forward control bike? Back and hip pain for many including me. Rearsets don't have to be painful for your knees. Effectively your body rotates and your knees move with it.
Rearsets come in many different degrees of aggressiveness. I have learned the only way to know if a riding position will work is to try it...but my suggestion is...go test ride a Speedmaster or even a Tbird or Rocket before taking the plunge. Lastly, always easier to buy a forward control motorcycle than to make one. I will never own another bike with forward controls as I believe it is an unnatural position. Riding a forward control motorcycle without a backrest is like driving a car without a seat back...same position.

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
There is a kit out there and someone knows who has it that will lower the pegs 2 inches or so. That's the ticket. I'm right at your age and gave up a forward control bike for the very reason it fucked up my back after 20 minutes of riding. you might also want to swap out your standard pegs for some steel ones and that might help. Newbonnieville.com has some, but make sure they've fixed the site. I think a hacker broke in and messed em up.

Flaco

750cc
TX,
Here is my solution for riding comfort. I broke my left hip in '81 and the Dr. said I would never ride a motorcycle, play basketball or ski again...
Proved him wrong, except the skiing!
I fabed these up two years ago and on long rides all my buddies wish they had some!
They are the same height, width and fold up at the same angle as the mid set pegs.

Attachments

• HPIM0453.jpg
    HPIM0453.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0454.jpg
    HPIM0454.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0