Chain?

T

tattooedcouple

How long is the average life of a stock chain? My America has 10,000 miles and the chain "might" make it to the end of summer here in Ohio..I clean it every 800 miles and lube every 400...What is a good(brand) replacement chain?

Dave

Street Tracker
My stock one has almost 20k on it and is stretched to the end of adjustment. I have a new chain and sprocket set that I got from fasteddysports.com sitting on a shelf until I have a couple hours to put it all on.

Carnation

Street Tracker
DID are used as OE equipment by a lot of manufacturers and are excellent. They're not cheap, mind.

The manual states the OE chain is a DID 525VM2 112 link. This is an x-ring.

The 525ZVM is supposed to be stronger and longer lasting.

Last edited:

hankmarx

750cc
I had 17,000 on the stock chain. I went with a DiD replacement.
Are you going to replace the front and rear sprockets as well?

koifarm

Hooligan
I've heard that you should always replace chain and both sprockets at the same time...Haynes manual on page 1-5 states never put a new chain on old sprockets or new sprockets on an old chain....makes sense to me....then you can have the old chain chromed, made into a belt with the sprockets as a buckle...cut the sleeves off your levi jacket, wear an orange and black t-shirt emblazoned with some dealers name and a doo rag for a helmet.....and be cool.....:lol3::eeek:

Rev Olting

Scooter
I hope revival of an old thread is OK.

I was reading about the fasteddy kit suggested above. The rear sprocket for that kit is aluminum. Can't see lots of life in that. What say you ?

Nick Morey

Rocker
I would have to agree with you. The advantage of the aluminum is less unsprung weight at the rear wheel (a racing thing), good for acceleration, not for long life.

b717doc

Scooter
Bought this chain an sprocket set from Fast Eddy about a year or so ago, the other day, noticed chain vibrating violently and making whining noise. Placed bike on jack, removed countersprocket cover, one link appears to be "sticking" to the countersprocket, producing "kink" in chain, regardless of position of wheel. Not good at all...tried to work link loose, but always kinks as it comes off countershaft. Will try to replace that one link with a masterlink, but looks like I need a new chain already. Both sprockets still appear new.

I hope revival of an old thread is OK.

I was reading about the fasteddy kit suggested above. The rear sprocket for that kit is aluminum. Can't see lots of life in that. What say you ?

Won't get long life at all.

The best combination to get in terms of a "light" sproket is where the teeth are steel and the core is aluminum. Supersprox makes them (not sure if they make it for our bike though...but can't see why one wont fit for ours anyway).

http://www.supersproxusa.com/

Lucky for me, I'm at 27K..and still on original chain. Adjusted it out a month ago and still have plenty of room left on my chain adjuster to keep going

Dave

Street Tracker
My rear sprocket from eddy shows no wear yet, maybe 6000 miles on it now. Of course, the steel one didn't look bad when I replaced the chain, but since it's recommended to change it all at once...:blah:

zmilin

Street Tracker
Im at a little over 22K on my stock chain. I was going to have the dealer order me a set of OEM but then someoen suggested I look here: http://sidewindersprockets.com/index.html.

Ive got a call in to them as of this morning for a price quote for a chain and sprocket kit. Ill let you know what they come back with.

zmilin

Street Tracker
Im starting to get a little pissed. I called left a message (AM of the 19th). Got a call back at the end of the next day (PM of the 20th) and was told Id get a call back with a quote. What I got was a call back almost two days later (PM of the 22nd) with no quote and a seeming dead end. After some listening to the guy that didn't seem like he wanted to help and me finally cutting him off we get to this....they have Speedmasters listed as 800s and nothing else.
FINE! No big deal. Same bike on the rear end and we should be good now. He says hell call me back with a quote. As of this evening (23rd) no call back, no quote, nothing.

WTF!!!! Im willing to spend some money. I don't expect it to be cheap BUT I DO EXPECT SOME SERVICE!

Its not a long span of time but c'mon....I have $$$$$ to spend. Guess Ill try tomorrow or Monday and if theres no quote then fuck them.

Im at a little over 22K on my stock chain. I was going to have the dealer order me a set of OEM but then someoen suggested I look here: http://sidewindersprockets.com/index.html.

Ive got a call in to them as of this morning for a price quote for a chain and sprocket kit. Ill let you know what they come back with.

mark66

TT Racer
Im starting to get a little pissed. I called left a message (AM of the 19th). Got a call back at the end of the next day (PM of the 20th) and was told Id get a call back with a quote. What I got was a call back almost two days later (PM of the 22nd) with no quote and a seeming dead end. After some listening to the guy that didn't seem like he wanted to help and me finally cutting him off we get to this....they have Speedmasters listed as 800s and nothing else.
FINE! No big deal. Same bike on the rear end and we should be good now. He says hell call me back with a quote. As of this evening (23rd) no call back, no quote, nothing.

WTF!!!! Im willing to spend some money. I don't expect it to be cheap BUT I DO EXPECT SOME SERVICE!

Its not a long span of time but c'mon....I have $$$$$ to spend. Guess Ill try tomorrow or Monday and if theres no quote then fuck them.

Know just what your talking about. Nothing pisses me off more than a business that acts like their doing YOU a favor or even less. When that happens to me I just take my money somewhere else. Hope it works out for ya.

zmilin

Street Tracker
final update....
I sent the below email on Monday and still no reply.

Hi,
I called a couple weeks ago and asked about a price on a Chain and sprocket kit for my 07 Triumph America.
I've only received one call back to let me know you didn’t have it but after some discussion you do have some record of the bike (older model, smaller motor but same bike). I was told I would get a call back and still have not.

I get that your probably a small(er) company and my one order may not be big $$ but I am willing to spend the money on the right product. So here is my final attempt at becoming a customer of yours...

Bike: 07 Triumph America (you have an early model Speedmaster, 02 to 05 I think).
Motor: 865cc (early models had a 790, your book or system lists it as an 800).
My goal: a chain and sprocket kit that will take up to 100hp (I have the intention of future motor mods).
My current set up: 42t rear, 19t front, 525 chain (I want to keep the sprockets the same gearing).

I appreciate your time and attention to this,
Z