Thruxton F3 Swap

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Yup, sourcing all the parts. Have both wheels, all 3 rotors, master cylinder and front calipers. The stock rear caliper will fit. I could use the stock front master cylinder, however I am effectively doubling the load upon it so I feel that it is in my best interest to uprgrade as well. No sense in getting better brakes and not being able to utilize them. Pics will be coming soon.

The wheels will be powdercoated an gunmetal grey, and rotor carriers for the front and the rear will be coated in an electric blue to go with my pazzos and the triumph lettering on my badges that i will be painting the inside of the same color.

Forks, when sourced will be getting new oil and seals, the lower fork cases will be powdered black. Then assembly begins. New brake pads will go in as well as some stainless steel braided brake lines for the new front setup.

I'll upload some pics sunday most likely. Hopefully I'll be the proud owner of some F3 forks by the end of today. Now just to figure tire choice!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Wow.......that will be a killer bike. Pictures when you can...thx
LMT

I will, it probably won't be complete for some time. I'm going to get all the parts then get the bearings pressed out of the wheels, and new ones pressed in after the powdercoating. Then i have good useable tire left on my stock wheels, so I'm going to trash those tires before the swap. No use is tossing good rubber. The before pics of the parts will go up this weekend.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Pics.

Well it took 789759877452243897 days to actually get these uploaded but here they are. Only parts I lack are the front forks, and when i get them the lowers will be sanded and coated with an auto grade semi gloss black. The wheels are going to be powdercoated in a month or two when funds become available and the zrx shocks are hopefully coming home soon. These are all before pics as the stuff sits in my garage waiting to be cleaned.

F3 Calipers
044.jpg

F3 Brake Reservoir
045.jpg

F3 Rear Wheel
046.jpg

F3 Front Wheel
047.jpg

F3 Rotors
048.jpg

Cush Drive Rubbers
049.jpg

FYI I have those same calipers on my front end and they kinda suck. There are lots of options to fit dual 4 pots, do a search on ebay or the sportbike forums. Don't get me wrong, they're better than the stock Bonnie/Thrux setup, but I plan on getting some 4 pots for mine.

OTOH, I just got a set of Vesrah RL Sintered metal brake pads for my front brakes (same calipers as yours) and they're supposed to make a huge difference. I haven't put them on yet though, so I can't vouch for them. I will let you know.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
FYI I have those same calipers on my front end and they kinda suck. There are lots of options to fit dual 4 pots, do a search on ebay or the sportbike forums. Don't get me wrong, they're better than the stock Bonnie/Thrux setup, but I plan on getting some 4 pots for mine.

OTOH, I just got a set of Vesrah RL Sintered metal brake pads for my front brakes (same calipers as yours) and they're supposed to make a huge difference. I haven't put them on yet though, so I can't vouch for them. I will let you know.

Please do. . .Hell I might have to tempt you down here with the promise of free beer and BBQ when i finally have everything prepared to put all this on the bike.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I'm following this closely!

Hah, well all i have left to get is brake fluid, brake lines, fluid, and wheel bearings. May have to get a new rear sprocket but we will see if my current rear sprocket actually fits the f3 wheel, or if my cush drive cover will swap over. I'm really hoping I do not have to get a new chain but we will see. Oh and of course tires. My goal is to have this all done and on the bike by the 1st of september. Then to test it for a few thousand miles before a track day.

you'll prob need a CBR rear sprocket but will be able to keep your current chain. Just make sure the chain/sprocket sizes jive. I bet your stock 530 chain will work but just make sure to get a 530 sprocket for the CBR wheel.

You'll prob need the CBR cush drive too.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
you'll prob need a CBR rear sprocket but will be able to keep your current chain. Just make sure the chain/sprocket sizes jive. I bet your stock 530 chain will work but just make sure to get a 530 sprocket for the CBR wheel.

You'll prob need the CBR cush drive too.

Yea, i have all that, im actually running a 520 on the thruxton so I have to research what was stock on the f3 and get a stock sprocket or just find one that is a 42 tooth 520 for it. My big problem is gonna be making the brake lever work. I may just have to find out where I can buy a pazzo brake lever for the f3 and not the whole set.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well I have the wheels mocked up in the old forks and I'm going to have to figure out axles. the f3 rear axle doesnt fit the swingarm, and using the stock axle means the bearings on the wheel don't fit. So i suppose i need to get bearings that fit the diameter of the f3 wheel but that have an inside diamter matching the triumph axle.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Here is the mock up in the thruxton forks because I don't have the f3 forks yet. You can see the front f3 wheel is much wider by comparison.

055.jpg

I'm actually digging the look, will look good once its all said and done.

054.jpg

The rear will just need a sprocket but the stock is the same amount of teeth as the bonnie. Will get to reuse the chain. The tire is much wider as well so I may have to offset the wheel by a tiny amount, unfortunately won't know that until final assembly.

057.jpg

And the overall idea

056.jpg

you shouldn't have to offset the wheel if you stick with a 160mm rear tire. Mine is centered and the tire clears the chain by about 1/8". It's tight, but it doesn't rub.

rodburner

Rocker
Looking good so far,but it would bug the shit out of ME that the spokes are going opposite directions.But that's just me.
Of course that is the Thrux fork and the F3 has double disks,so it can go either way,right?

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Looking good so far,but it would bug the shit out of ME that the spokes are going opposite directions.But that's just me.
Of course that is the Thrux fork and the F3 has double disks,so it can go either way,right?

It will be switched around for final assembly, i just quickly mocked it all up to get an idea of the look. Should have no problem switching them around.