Reasons NOT to buy a Bonneville...

Arkwright

Two Stroke
You see the power of the internet...

I was just about to part with my hard earned cash to buy a Bonnie and Bonnxton advises me against it.

Regarding the price differences between the UK and the States, I think it's down to our respective economies and supply and demand. Motorcycling has seen a bit of a resurgence of late in the UK and Bonnies are hard to find. Subsequently, the ball is in the dealers court and they can demand fairly high prices.

strokerlmt

Someone said........don'tttttt buy a Bonneville.......we will bug the shit out of you. Mods are so much fun. Buy a bike with a great engine ...maybe not the cosmetics you like ...then put your signature on it :)
LMT

dschief

750cc
Oh Please! Don't start throwing E Types. Astons and Healeys into the mix, I've only just made up my mind on the Bonnie, now I'll have to go find an E Type, Aston and Healey forum and ask them why I shouldn't buy a classic car...

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were that open to the power of suggestion.:shh: :lol3:

Coastie

moped
Waited 27 years to get back into riding and after years of looking at bikes glad I got my 2008 Bonnie. When the garage door opens my bride comes running with her helmet ready to ride with me. All good in the hood with my bride and Bonnie.

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Waited 27 years to get back into riding and after years of looking at bikes glad I got my 2008 Bonnie. When the garage door opens my bride comes running with her helmet ready to ride with me. All good in the hood with my bride and Bonnie.

Sounds just like my scenario Coastie...

Any ideas how to STOP the bride coming running, a man sometimes needs to spend time alone with his machine?

PieMan

Two Stroke
You see the power of the internet...

I was just about to part with my hard earned cash to buy a Bonnie and Bonnxton advises me against it.

Regarding the price differences between the UK and the States, I think it's down to our respective economies and supply and demand. Motorcycling has seen a bit of a resurgence of late in the UK and Bonnies are hard to find. Subsequently, the ball is in the dealers court and they can demand fairly high prices.

That is still too much in the UK for a 15k mile Bonnie no matter what condition. If it's a great bike with full service history then £3,600, £3,800 max if it's a dealer. For £4,300, I'd want a 5,000 - 8,000 miler in excellent condition with full service history. If you don't rush in, you'll find a good one privately, I believe it's a buyer's market right now, there's plenty of people that need cash quick these days. Good luck with your Bonnie hunting.

Last edited:

Gretsch

Rocker
Reason NOT to buy...The only one I can come up with is if you have a Norton...

Oh yeah, don't buy a Bonnie if you're going to dress/act like a 1%'er. In that case help the US economy out and get an HD.

Pete R

Banned
Of course another reason NOT to buy a Bonneville is to buy a Thruxton instead...

So, if you're like me you consider getting a Bonnie with a view to Thruxtonizing it.
But then the Universe sends you a Thruxton (viz clipons) that you then start Bonnevillizing...

The answer is out there - somewhere :rolleyes: I just need to decide that when I get around to painting her is if she becomes a "Bonneville Thruxton" (as they were in '65) or I be an individual (and potential knob) and label her a "Thruxton Bonneville"...

Anyway never mind my rambling shit mate. Get yourself a Trumpy. It may just save your life.

Mine has saved mine :cheers:

Easy13

Street Tracker
In regards to the perfect green/cream dream you're looking at.....
You're not buying a fleet of bikes here, nor are you terribly interested in resale value. This bike will become part of you, part of your family. You're only buying it once, so what if it's a bit overpriced? You like it, you want it, PAY THE MAN AND GET ON WITH IT!

crikket44

Scooter
So true. I ain't hiding it, Iz ridin it. The closest thing I am getting to resale value is what the insurance company pays me when I lay it down.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Reason to get a Bonny..Nice empty rolling tar and chip farm roads.... Come up on a turn, blip the throttle swivel the hips and outside knee against the tank pad, then coming into the turn push on the inside handle and she rolls into the turn like a Spitfire in the battle of Britain and heads like a laser for the apex. I know before I hear it how wonderful that intake sound is gonna be, but it gets me anyway.... blaattt as I accellerate off the apex and just exiting the turn that chrome headlight comes up vertical and I gun the bike for 2 gears until I see another turn the opposite way.swivel the hips, blip down a gear go again....now you can do that on any bike, but its special on the Bonneville.

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
In regards to the perfect green/cream dream you're looking at.....
You're not buying a fleet of bikes here, nor are you terribly interested in resale value. This bike will become part of you, part of your family. You're only buying it once, so what if it's a bit overpriced? You like it, you want it, PAY THE MAN AND GET ON WITH IT!

+1 to that. The Creamsicle will be staying in the family where it will get passed down to my son. Might have to an engine overhaul before that day arrives but that could be fun as well; the son and I working on the bike together to rebuild her when that time comes. Something about the Bonnie where you will be looking to keep her as a permanent member of your stable...

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Just remembered that there's another reason I wouldn't buy a Bonnie. I ALREADY HAVE ONE!!! And you can't have it!!

(By the way, a Harley just passed by my front window, downshifted three times, Clunk, Crack, clunk. Revved it up and went on his way, Clunk, clank, clunk. Good trannies he said tongue in cheek.)

And no it wasn't the big breasted gal.......DAMMIT!

Last edited:

strokerlmt

That brings up a thought......a friend purchased a used Thrux because he went thru the...this that what how.....I let him do his own thing.....He is 9 years my junior and believe me in far far betta shape than me and all my injuries. He then started to Bonneville the bike to get a more comfortable arrangement for riding. Modded the forks, handle bars , put in risers, adjusted rear sets.
Anyway...everyone does their thing......Personally I think it is easier to mod a Bonneville than mod down/tone down a Thrux.....ah hell what do I know.
Press on
LMT

dscott3509

Two Stroke
Reason not to buy a Bonnie, for me, comfort on long rides. I had my Bonnie for a year and a half, and I loved it around town. But, once I got it on a freeway and took longer trips, it beat me to hell. If I still commuted to work instead of working at home, i might have kept it. A great bike, just not a great bike for me.