New to Triumph and loving it.

topmav1

Scooter
Hey,

Just pickup up an '07 Bonneville. Changed the handlebars and installed British Customs Predators. They sound great but not obnoxious. I love my bike. Also bought a Nexx X60 helmet in black. Nice helmet. Tough at high speeds thought but I guess any 3/4 helmet is.
I plan on adding a Tachometer soon and maybe changing the mirrors.

Pics before and after...

Comments or suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• IMG00030-20100604-1551.jpg
    IMG00030-20100604-1551.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0537.jpg
    DSC_0537.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0551.jpg
    DSC_0551.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Welcome to the forum. The bonnie black is all time favorite for its pure and hotrod look.
Congrats on the bike. The sky is the limit on modding these bikes, from appearance such as bobbing the fender to lighting to riding position, to suspension to motor upgrades.
Looks like you went with superbars which are also popular. Preds sound great. A bit loud for many but a great howl up around redline.
Enjoy it and ride safe.

topmav1

Scooter
Sorry if this isn't the right place to discuss this but if not here...

I was never really so concerned about getting seriously injured or worse when I rode my friends bikes but now that I bought my own I find myself looking at my kids sometimes and saying what the heck am I doing? Most people say its not if you fall but when. Anyone have issues reconciling this? I love my bike and enjoy riding but does this feeling or nervousness go away?

koifarm

Hooligan
Howdy Newbie....

:welcome:

Welcome to the asylum dude.....remember, the search function is your new best friend.....you got a problem, it's happened to someone before ya.....
We need copious pictures of your ride and your motorcycle as well....

koifarm

:sidecar:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I believe that any of us that would deny your concern that riding a motorcycle can change your life in a moment's notice would be denying the obvious. It really is a dangerous activity. But...the risk is managable IF you really know what you are doing.
If you don't have a lot of background riding, then be sure to take a safety course. Riding a motorcycle is like a chess game out on the road. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you are cooked. Statistically, 60% of motorcycle accidents are the fault of the rider. Guys on motorcycles like to ride faster but can't control them. Learn to countersteer your bike instinctively. It will save your life in that one corner when you went in too hard. Raise your hand when you slow down to turn. I ride a white helmet to help be seen. Ride like you are invisible. Leave yourself an out. Read everything you can about riding and how to brake. Put the best lights on the bike that you can.
Pick your spots for riding. Don't ride in heavy rush hour traffic if you can avoid it. Sunday mornings are a great time to ride when most are still in bed. :)
You can't learn enough about riding a motorcycle properly and if you take chances you will pay so develop your skill. Watch for gravel. Knee dragging on the street is fool hardy with all the gravelly roads.
Buy the best jacket and helmet you can afford. If you go off the bike you want to be protected. Lastly....riding a motorcycle is about reaction time. Inattentive cagers don't react well to limited information. Ride too fast around other cars and they can't gage your speed. They misconstrue your speed to begin with because you are are smaller than they are....how the brain processes speed. Slow down through intersections. A good tip is down shift and ride 10mph under every intersection to allow a cager turning left in your path to process your speed. Reaction time is what it comes down to. Statistically many that ride a motorcycle maybe right about adhering to the law but not for their self preservation. Riding safely is an art and long time riders have survived by knowing what they are doing.
Lastly, with all the cavaets...on the open road, don't spare the rod...why we ride ;)
Ride safe.

Last edited:
Motorcycles aren't as dangerous as the layman thinks. If you're observant and have good reflexes there's little worry.

Plus, if you fall off, the chances of death are greatly diminished from where they were years ago. Just buy the appropriate gear.

First thing I'd do is ditch that 3/4 helmet nonsense. Get a full facer.

topmav1

Scooter
Motorcycles aren't as dangerous as the layman thinks. If you're observant and have good reflexes there's little worry.

Plus, if you fall off, the chances of death are greatly diminished from where they were years ago. Just buy the appropriate gear.

First thing I'd do is ditch that 3/4 helmet nonsense. Get a full facer.

Agreed but theres so much debate about full face vs 3/4. Most of my riding is basically limited to an hour or two a week in a suburban area. The information that i found basically pushed the full face when riding on highways. I;ve also seen mention that the 3/4 will give me more visibility. What gives???

whyme

TT Racer
yup...take it from previous crashers. Put as much gear as you can on....no t-shirt and shorts riding.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Full facer. It only takes a fraction of a second to get t-boned or otherwise crash. Do you see any racers riding with 3/4 helmets?

And, yeah, ATGATT - no shorts, flip-flops, or tshirts (unless all that is under your riding gear so you can peel out of it asap on a hot day!).

Welcome, and have fun!

strokerlmt

Congrats on the Bonneville. I have always liked the black engine. I ditto the gang....get rid of the 3/4....a good full helmet is the way to go. Preds sound great...nice choice....
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Agreed but theres so much debate about full face vs 3/4. Most of my riding is basically limited to an hour or two a week in a suburban area. The information that i found basically pushed the full face when riding on highways. I;ve also seen mention that the 3/4 will give me more visibility. What gives???
Not a lot of debate among guys that want the best protection. You want another stat taught in many safety courses? Majority of crashs...not all...end up with face contact because you are looking and moving forward. Lots of pics on the internet with full face helmets with the front scraped off.
Face reconstruction is something you want to avoid. Full face helmets today are fantastic with the great venting, comfort, buffer against wind and noise and shield position adjustment. I absolutely love my Arai Profile and feel downright unsafe with a half or 3/4 helmet. Riding a motorcycle is all about choices. See lots of guys in Ohio and Florida without helmets.

Gretsch

Rocker
Full face all day long. I don't buy the viability argument and I really like my chin and face. A helmet, Jacket, gloves, boots, and protective pants are the only way to go. Want even better protection? Get full race leathers for longer rides. Yes, you will look like a Power Ranger and it will be hot.

It's really all about how much risk you are willing to accept. I ride with a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots always. Sometimes I'll ride in jeans. The most important thing as others have said is not what you ride in but how you ride.

NoSquid.GIF

To me, the people who have the gear and wear the gear are the people who are interested in riding the machine. By that I mean they appreciate the machine, its engineering, its power, and really appreciate the feeling and act of riding a motorcycle.

On the other hand, people who won't be seen on a bike with riding boots, or absolutely must wear a half-helmet or leather vest, these people are in it for some kind of rep or image. Squids on sportbikes with sandals and no shirt are just trying to look a part, as are the pirates with skullcaps.

It's tough to look cool when you're being safe, but it's tougher to look cool when you've got no face.

topmav1

Scooter
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try on a few full face helmets today or tomorrow. I bought a Nexx 3/4 but the owner (nice guy) said he will work it out that I can get the full face. Going to try it. You're all right.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I have been riding for 50 years. I used to use open face helmets but I changed to a KBC FFR modular helmet. It is full face, but it opens up so that you can put it on while wearing glasses, or to ride slowly through a hot town. I keep it closed nearly all of the time because I don't like the wind in my eyes. The visor also opens. In the winter, I use a light smoke visor and dark smoke in the summer. I wear as much armor as I can stand. Always boots and long pants, and for a ride of any length, I wear draggin jeans, a leather jacket with back and elbow armor in the winter, spring and fall a mesh jacket with armor, and summer a very light mesh jacket with armor. Sometimes when it is too hot for that on the Texas coast, I just wear a long sleeve shirt and sometimes with an evaporative cooling vest. I always wear gloves. If you are getting adrenaline rushes, you are having fun, but it means that you are pushing the edge of your skill level. Oh, you can ride up to 40 or so with the KBC modular flipped up. It is different in that it has a mechanism that cams the front up and back for less drag when open. Be careful.