Conform for the man? Or not

nohawk

Rocker
Got an offer to sell motorcycles and ATVs for a local Yamaha/Polaris dealer here in Longview, went in on Sat to kinda feel it out and have two guys coming back to talk further on a fz1 and a stratoliner delux. I dont think I would have any problems with selling these things but I do have problem wearing long sleeves because I have tattoos, I can understand the managers position because we are in uber-conservative E.TX but it does suck and I still have my other job so Im not hard up for work. I would like to work in the MC industry again and having recent experience is a plus in finding a spot at another dealer or shop. So what would you do?

koifarm

Hooligan
Give it a try for six weeks or so, see how you fit.....make a decision when you know for sure what you want to do.

strokerlmt

I have an earring. I good friend offered me a great consulting contract a few years back for 6 months 6 figures. Not only was it great income but it was a really interesting and challenging fun job. He told me to loose the earring because I reported to the BoD. My first thought was fuck them if they don't like my earring and fuck the job. My second thought and action was to take out the stud. The job was fun and a really great experience.......
LMT

nohawk

Rocker
Yup Im gonna go in again tomorrow and give it a shot. This is a pay cut in comparison to driving OTR full time and that makes the thought of wearing longsleeves in the Tx heat a little harder to swallow, 6 figures and Id get a perm and wear wooden shoes, maybe with good sales would come less stuiped dress restrictions?

loxpump

Rocker
Bosses always think they can call the shots, but then it's their shots to call. At least everything is up front and you can always say no.

Nick Morey

Rocker
I'd give it a shot too, nohawk. Long sleeves seems a small concession, albeit in the Texas heat. Do they have airconditioning? If it's a job you enjoy then that's half the battle!

strokerlmt

Noooooo.....seems like you were away a lot and getting mugged or whatever....I would like to be around bikes. Good luck....
"Press on"
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Conformity in your heart and mind, never.

Long sleeves, short sleeves..who cares?

Anyway , if you sell enough bikes they won't care what shirt you have on.

KingBear

Hooligan
An employee in my company was bitching because he thought he would never be a sales rep due to his tattoos, piercings, etc. I told him he was right, that we couldn't take him to shows or put him in front of our customers, which of course just pissed him off even more. But it's a fact, there's a price to be paid for exercising freedom of self-expression. Lots of people cover their tats or remove piercings for work and it's no big deal, others aren't even willing to get a haircut or shave.

Skeeter

Rocker
i sold cars, but all my ink is on my legs. i kinda like ridin a motorcycle in to sell toyotas or people thinkin i was a square only to find out i knocked down their daughter and i have ink

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Long sleeves today - Get your sales up and see if the boss likes you.

Every job has rules, run with them. If you actually like the people working there they can always be bent.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
It's odd that a bike shop wants tats covered, but to each his own. If you want to get in the biz you do what it takes.