Replacement Driver footpegs

Topher0268

Scooter
Anyone got a line on aftermarket footpegs for 06' Bonnies? My right side peg developed a visible crack and when I parked it to investigate, it snapped off in my hand ....

Been searching forums, ebay, google .. not coming up with any definate answers.

Easy13

Street Tracker
I tried straight footpegs like those at newbonneville, and found that while they're a little lower and further back (I had to adjust both the shifter and the brake pedal), the shift lever ended up too far away (by that I mean I had to move my heel up onto the footpeg in order to reach the shifter peg). After considering surgery on the shifter, I gave up and went back to stock.

Looking at the design of the Kuryakyn Iso pegs for the Bonneville, it seems like they have the offset that the stock pegs do. I didn't dig too much into it, I personally don't care for the look. It's a Bonneville, not a billet barge, that sort of thing.

Having read several accounts of how the stock footpegs may be prone to breaking, I'm very interested in some of the more learned opinions and how this ends up getting sorted.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

No ....I'm serious.....I have the Norman Hyde rear sets. He has rubber wrapped foot pegs. I find them very comfortable. I had some German high tech light weight foot pegs and I found the vibration conducted through them was uncomfortable for my old ass feet and legs.....
LMT

Topher0268

Scooter
No I meant I figured out you were talking about Norman Hydes. Like .. geesh dumbass you know what NH stands for.

I am curious about the seating position. I'm 5'7" and do a lot of long distance. I'm one of those weirdos that finds the stock setup very comfortable but if it's not TOO much setback .. that might be even better.

strokerlmt

I'm 5 9" and have a shit neck. After all kinds of tries I ended up with MBars, football grips and NH rear sets and my long hauls are comfortable now.
LMT

Easy13

Street Tracker
I just did a little more due dilligence in search of footpegs for a Bonneville and came up empty. The Thrux evidently uses a straight peg, while the Bonne has an offset. Kuryakyn's adapters apparently only work on Bonne passenger pegs. I can't find anyone out there in the aftermarket with anything approximating the offset of the stock Bonneville rider footpegs. The NH rearsets effectively take the stock pegs off the board, but $300+ is alot of jack if all you want to do is lose footpegs that may or may not be dangerous.

Anyone out there know of other alternative rider footpegs for a Bonneville?

Last edited:

Topher0268

Scooter
Found this, tried the site, but my german isn't up to the task...

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/75915-classicbike-raisch-lowering-pegs-on-bonnie.html

Found this as well, it may be a viable solution:

http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/...manufacturer=all&q_brand=all&q_showdetail=yes

Anybody tried anything like it?

I can't believe this isn't a more common problem but that second option for a 140 bucks I may just take the plunge and try them out. I wonder where they measure the dimensions at .... I'm thinking the 35mm may fit but I'm gonna get the digital calipers out tomorrow and do some measuring.

I agree I would rather spend that 300 bucks on suspension upgrades if I can find a viable replacement for the stock mounts.

strokerlmt

I tried something similar for awhile. Just were not comfortable for longer rides for me. 300 bucks.....I would do RICOR emulators for the front end....
LMT

ktmmiker

Scooter
wpend money else where

$70 bucks for the stocker leaves $240. for some progressive shocks. No comparison. Unless the bike lands on the pegs, they are safe. They have been in circulation for what?, nine odd years now. Prolly the same basic castings as used on the old Tbirds too.

Topher0268

Scooter
Respectfully disagree after my right peg developed a stress crack at the hinge pin and broke apart. I stand on my pegs from time to time to stretch for a second but my ride has not been down and I rarely scrape them to the tune of perhaps once or twice on the left side in a U-turn.

Yes I realize mine is an isolated incident but to be honest if I'm going to spend 70 bucks (per peg btw .. not a set) then I'd like to have something a bit more robust. Ultimately though ... I may not have much of a choice.

six by six

Two Stroke
My bike fell over on it's right side all by itself a few months ago. snapped the peg right off at the pivot. $70 bucks later. I just like the stock pegs. The rubber gives me a good secure grip.

Easy13

Street Tracker
I rode about 350 miles yesterday and I'm thinking maybe the NH rearsets would'nt be a bad investment. As others have said here, they'd work well with the M-bars to give a more comfortable ride with footpegs in which I can have more confidence. I also saw some LSL rearsets at British Customs. I didn't figure the exchange rates dollar/pound, but I think the LSLs are a bit cheaper. Anyone using those?

Topher0268

Scooter
Here's my fix

Ok so I decided that if I was going to drop 70 bucks on a replacement OEM only to have the same potential problem then that wasn't going to work for me. I'm not ready to drop 400 bucks on rearsets so here's the interim fix:

2 leftover passenger pegs from a 1979 Yamaha xs1100 Special .. CHECK
1 charged up cordless drill .. CHECK
1 set of diamond head drill bits .. CHECK

It not the most beautiful set of pegs on the planet but they're really not anymore "plain" than the stock ones and really not even noticeable unless pointed out. Even then if you don't own this model I'm willing to bet it STILL makes people scratch their heads and go ... "whatever"

They're steel through and through so no worries there. Didn't have to modify the mounting hole much so I could go back to stock pegs if need be. I was worried about them twisting around since these don't have the "dimples" that set in those indentations to keep them from moving. So far though .. they won't budge.

Cost in the whole project ..... Zero dollars, 45 minutes, and two beers :cheers:

PegFix.jpg