removed baffles compared

msc66

Two Stroke
I removed the baffles in my stock 2001 Bonnies pipes and they're louder than I thought they'd be. Anyone have any thoughts on how the sound of these would compare to Togas or Dominator tourings?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
When I punched out the baffles on my 07 the sound was pretty nice, louder than the "sewing machine" exhaust note. Pretty good, but not as good as the TORS I've got on it now.

I'm guessing your pipes sound pretty nice but are not offensive. I'm not even sure you need to re-jet as long as the bike runs good.

msc66

Two Stroke
I guess I need to hear some other bikes in person but it was real loud to me. I had the mufflers off not too long ago to fix a flat tire and I fired it up. I think it sounds real close to that now.

I took it for a 30 min ride today and while it didn't pop or backfire it did sputter and surge at light throttle cruising speeds so in my case a rejet would probably be needed.

After I pulled the baffles last night I found a post on the triumph rat forum where a guy just punched bigger holes in the baffles with a long rod until he got the sound he wanted. I think I'd go that route. I'll try to post a link later.

As for me I just now tack welded some washers in the pipes as my own baffles. It might be too quiet again but if so I'll drill holes in them until I get the sound level I want.

Oh yeah, I'm near downtown between N'side and Howell Mill Rd. off I-75. Where are you at?

Easy13

Street Tracker
If you're surging at lower throttle, you're probably running lean and need to rejet sooner rather than later.

Lean fuel mixtures make the engine run hotter, and heat is the #1 enemy of aircooled motorcycles (if you don't count Soccer Moms).

msc66

Two Stroke
Welding the washers in the pipes not only made the sound not objectionable but also relieved the light throttle stumble. Guess it added back a little back pressure but I'm still going to jet up. I'll be ordering them in the morning.

I know some here think I'm crazy but this thing was loud. It had a very hollow echo chamber sound almost as if there where no other baffles in the muffler itself. Just a big empty can. It had such a drone at low speeds that it seemed to vibrate my ear drums. I just couldn't stand it but the washers have taken away the drone and the hollow sound. I think it sounds pretty good and it will do until I can afford some new pipes. Gonna have to hear 'em in person though before I'll buy anything.