BP and this disaster

Gretsch

Rocker

Now I get it.... I thought you were saying that there are xenophobic comments being made on the forums. That would be odd since we all own English bikes :D

Please don't take what our president does as indicative of how the people of the US feel towards you and country. Like most politicians he's desperate to find a scapegoat vs. a solution. I don't think anyone in their right mind blames Britten.

"vulgar populist" that about sums it up.

strokerlmt

Gretsch....I agree.....IMO the media fuck up most of what we here and see. They are in the ratings biz and re make alter edit and present the news as THEY think we should see it. The BBC and Leyher are the least filtered IMO. The vast majority of the general public just mimic what they have seen on Fox, CBS, NBC or ABC. Of course you get idiots like BP's Hayward it spills over to teh Brit population ....we have our idiots as well. We have the politicians, the people who think and have opinions and the people/lemmings. Look at the guy in SC who got elected because his name was at the top of the ballot. That is scarey......
LMT

KingBear

Hooligan
Wow, look how quickly the Brits go on the defensive! Their top three sports there are Cricket, Football, and America Bashing - not necessarily in that order. But let the shoe shift to the other foot and suddenly we're separated by much more than a common language. Tell me, when was the last time Americans lashed out at Britain for anything? I can't remember a single instance in my lifetime. But the U.S. is always taking shit for whatever we do or don't do or do too much or too little or do wrong or without the proper permission or international sanction....

Britain can suck it up and take it or they can bloody well bugger off!

Gretsch

Rocker
-King,

I hear what your saying regarding the USA and her citizens getting blamed for all the worlds problems. I call bullshit on that every chance I get. At the same time I can't get behind the POTUS doing the same thing (especially to our allies..during a war no less).

If anything good can come from this, perhaps it gives our foreign friends some perspective on how US citizens feel when we're unjustly blamed.

ssjones

750cc
We're in Key West this week for work/fun. The spill containment is constantly on every radio show, etc. They are having town meetings on the various keys to start preparing. BP has two claims offices, one in Key Largo and one in Key West. So far, no sign of any oil and the water is amazing. I can't imagine everything coated in oil. Lots of folks are walking around with "Fuck BP" shirts.....
I think the Presidents speech will be on in every bar here this evening.

drlapo

Hooligan
so Obamy is going to kick some ass and "make BP pay"
but no solution just liberal crap rhetoric
back in the Clinton era the NRA put out a bumper sticker that states" Charlton Heston is my president"
OH Charlton where are you now?? (I know he's dead)

strokerlmt

His speech was milk toast......to much on the future re fuel addiction....IMO last night was not the time to chat about energy consumption....it was time to just assure the gulf people that this will be brought under control, cleaned up and BP will pay restitution.....end of story.....
LMT

ssjones

750cc
Marathon Key is apparently not trusting BP for their best interests:
http://keysnews.com/node/24186

I'm thinking is there a worse job them to be the "BP Spokesman" in these meetings?

Florida has pretty liberal conceal carry permit laws, if anyone needs it, it's these BP folks. Hopefully Florida is smart enough to turn them down, let justice take it's own course....

drlapo

Hooligan
yep BP fucked up
now where are the "finest minds", BP, government (an oxymoron) anyone?
is there no one who can figure this out?

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
yep BP fucked up
now where are the "finest minds", BP, government (an oxymoron) anyone?
is there no one who can figure this out?

People can figure it out... But where is the incentive? Unless BP shells out a few billion no one is going to be motivated to put forth the effort.

Except for maybe Kevin Costner... He might save us all. (google it, no joke.)

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Britain can suck it up and take it or they can bloody well bugger off!

In the words of Adrian Edmondson "So it's a bloody fight you want, is it?!" No, but seriously, BP is not owned by the British govt, or the British people. Matter of fact, it's 40% American owned. It's fuck all to do with our country, although given the shite coming from the US Govt about them, I wouldn't have put a dime into escrow. BP hasn't turned down a single claim, has completely acknowledged that it fucked up, has promised to clean it up and compensate evryone. As for paying the unemployment benefits for workers laid off because the US Govt ordered all drilling to be stopped...WTF?! I think BP have bent over too much and should have told Obama, Salazar and the rest to piss off with their ridiculous claims. As to the dickhead in the Congressional hearings suggesting that the head of US Operations should commit Seppuku - what a twat. Real mature - just the kind of behaviour you want from elected representatives of your country.

ssjones

750cc
The state of Florida has to decide what to do with their BP stock. Seems they are heavily invested in BP. I guess that's a real conflict of interest...

KingBear

Hooligan
In the words of Adrian Edmondson "So it's a bloody fight you want, is it?!" No, but seriously, BP is not owned by the British govt, or the British people. Matter of fact, it's 40% American owned.
Yes, I'm aware of all that. I've also been very clear that I believe there is plenty of blame to go around. And yes, there's being more put on them than is right. But let's face it, BP (historically known as British Petroleum) is a UK-based company, they do share a significant amount of responsibility for what happened, and they are primarily responsible for cleaning it up. Falling back on the argument that they are a publicly traded company and therefore somehow the entire world is to blame is an argument for pussies.

So quit whining or we'll send Paris Hilton over there to bitch-slap you.

KingBear

Hooligan
One other clarification and then I will stfu... Although many share the blame for causing this disaster, one man alone enjoys the credit for the way it has and has not been handled. Anyone care to guess who it is? I'll give you a hint: he's the incompetent, narcisistic bastard who's filed suit against Arizona while ceading parts of that state to Mexican drug lords.