Wrist relief

geo-k

Scooter
I'm looking for opinions on handlebars, or risers for my Scram.

I have had a miserable right wrist since I bought it, and i need to do something about it.

I'm not very tall (5'8", and 33" dress sleeve length). It's a little of a stretch to the bars, but it didn't seem that bad when I bought the bike. I commute to work on it about once a week at 65mph for 45 minutes, and that seems to hurt the worst. Weekend rides are not as bad. Maybe the steady single throttle position does it.

Has anyone changed bars, added risers, etc to any great relief?

Anybody else having wrist issues with stock bars?

Anybody know the stock bar dimensions to compare to other bars?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Hiltz

Scooter
I'm looking for opinions on handlebars, or risers for my Scram.

I have had a miserable right wrist since I bought it, and i need to do something about it.

I'm not very tall (5'8", and 33" dress sleeve length). It's a little of a stretch to the bars, but it didn't seem that bad when I bought the bike. I commute to work on it about once a week at 65mph for 45 minutes, and that seems to hurt the worst. Weekend rides are not as bad. Maybe the steady single throttle position does it.

Has anyone changed bars, added risers, etc to any great relief?

Anybody else having wrist issues with stock bars?

Anybody know the stock bar dimensions to compare to other bars?

Thanks for any help you can give!

You're right about the constant throttle position. Try a Throttle Rocker or Cramp Buster. Instant relief.

koifarm

Hooligan
You might try a set of the Genmar risers from NewBonneville, they will put the bars back towards you about 3/4" and up 1 1/4" which will change your ergonomics some....

Last edited:

geo-k

Scooter
How about cables? Any issues w/ Genmar, et al.(ie needing longer ones, or moving them around).
I saw on Advrider a couple of guys switched to Pro Taper Se's, and Renthal's.
Anybody actually try these?
I'm not sure if it's the angle of the dangle, so to speak, or if I need more pullback. The height seems fine, but I guess that's always adjustable by twisting the bars up and down.
+1 on Throttle Rocker. I think I will go that route today. I should use the scientific method, and try one fix at a time to see what works and by what degree.
I will report back as I try things.

ivar

TT Racer
Bring a 6mm allen wrench when out riding, then try adjusting the bars when stopped. Then it should be easier to see what feels most comfortable. (and a 4mm? wrench for the controls to get them positioned right)

I just ordered a pair of Jim's spacers, http://www.spacerjim.com , these can be had in different heights.

I had the exact same problem and it turns out it was from how I gripped the throttle and I need some sort of ergonomic rest. I bought this and so far no wrist pain:

http://www.crampbuster.com/

You can adjust the angle of the as you ride by rotating it clockwise. DO NOT rotate counter-clockwise or you'll rev the piss out of your bike. If you watch the video it will explain it.

It's the best $12 I spent at Cycle Gear

Last edited:

geo-k

Scooter
Yeah, Crampbuster seems like the consensus vote. I will try the twisting of the bar as well, but it's at a 45 degree angle now (ie as far back and up as possible), Maybe further back lower might be more comfortable?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
If you can, try in detail to describe where your wrist hurts....middle?...outboard on little pinky side?..top or bottom?

Last edited:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Just curious, but have you tried adjusting your seating position?

I have noticed that if I am sitting too far back I get arm/wrist fatigue sooner than normal.

geo-k

Scooter
If you can, try in detail to describe where your wrist hurts....middle?...outboard on little pinky side?..top or bottom?

Achey sore in hand muscle on pinky side, like a cramp. Also, right side of wrist bone on bottom side of wrist. Moderate soreness on center of wrist and hand on bottom mostly, very mild on top. None to speak of on thumb side.

geo-k

Scooter
Just curious, but have you tried adjusting your seating position?

I have noticed that if I am sitting too far back I get arm/wrist fatigue sooner than normal.

Tried that this weekend. Slammed myself all the way almost up on tank. Slightly more relaxing on back and neck, but those were not hurting very badly. Didn't do much for wrist.

Been thinking about the angle of the bars. They are pretty flat, kind of like a mouse on a desk top. I am starting to think that a more natural position might help (like a 45 degree handshake). I think that's why I never had a problem on my '80's Honda Shadow with it's buckhorn style bars. They are swept back and at an angle.

whyme

TT Racer
The natural position for your wrist is flat to your body if you drop your arm down. The more you turn your wrist the more you put pressure on your median nerve tunnel which will cause numbness if you have any issues.

geo-k

Scooter
Wank more often...you'll break it in quicker...

...if your daily wank limit is already maxed-out, try these:
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/kaoko_cruise_control.html
http://www.british-customs.com/universal-throttle-boss.html
http://www.british-customs.com/product.php?productid=1491&cat=25&page=1

I've got a throttle rocker on my BMW GS and on the Daytona. I've the Kaoko throttle lock on the Scrambler.
All really help with limp-wristers like you and me :D

It really isn't healthy to wank MORE than I do, and my wife gets irritated at the lack of attention.:banana:

gcrider

Street Tracker
I use the "Mid 70"s Bonnie" bar from The Handlebar Company in NZ http://www.thehandlebarcompany.com/motorcycle-handle-bars.html

Here's a pic of the bars on my Scram:

100_2032.jpg

They're a little taller and have more pullback. Cables/hoses are all fine. I like 'em a lot.

Gretsch

Rocker
Throttle rocker and the like is the cheapest option. I'd give it a shot before spending more money on bars, risers, etc.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Achey sore in hand muscle on pinky side, like a cramp. Also, right side of wrist bone on bottom side of wrist. Moderate soreness on center of wrist and hand on bottom mostly, very mild on top. None to speak of on thumb side.
My passion is racing bicycles both on and off road. I am old and as we age, loss of flexibility creates nerve compression, throughout our bodies. Fit on a motorcycle is in some ways like that of a bicycle only bicycling is much more intense because our hands are more pressured and therefore ergonomics come more into play. I can write volumes on the subject but suffice to say that the handlebar angle of the stock bonneville places a fair amount of pressure on the ulnar nerve because of pronounced pullback which is the medial or outboard pinkie side of the hand. If you study the geometry of even a generic mountain bike it is no coincidence that virtually all have handlebars with a backsweep angle of 0-10 degrees maximum or so. This is because the greater that backsweep angle, the greater the pressure on the ulnar nerve which is critical for hand loading due to jarring riding off road. Same with moto cross motorcycles incidentally for the same reason. From years of hand abuse which includes a lot of wrenching and riding both bikes with and without motors :) I have developed mild ulnar nerve damage on both my hands which is managable with stretching and strengthening. The vast majority of motorcyclists know their wrists hurt but don't understand why. You can try to change the ergo's of your motorcycle but most would benefit more on improving their bodies including addressing the back pain that many report. Ulnar nerve damage is the result of constant pressure on the palm pad of the hand. The Guyon's canal is a small annulus that runs through the outside of the pad of the hand that controlls the pinkie and ring finger. Inboard of this is the infamous carpal tunnel that controls the other fingers. What you must do to eliminate pain other than working on your riding posture and hand position on the bars is stretch your hand muscles...and strengthen for complete relief.
The following is a simple and VERY effective video which will CHANGE your motorcycling enjoyment if you are a chronic sufferer of ulnar nerve pressure which is VERY common in the sport and also for competitive cyclists as in bicycle variety. If you start SLOWLY by stretching 3 times a day...I suggest icing while watching TV as well, you will likely recovery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmxM29Tji8o
The first time you do the hand rotation and stretching if you feel discomfort, than that is your issue.
For further perspective, google Guyon's Canal Syndrome, Ulnar Nerve and handlebar palsy.
Best of Luck and hope that helps.

PS: Below is an illustration of the great Lance Armstrong racing in the 100 mile Leadville mountain bike race that he won last year on a bike that costs as much as our bonnevilles. :) If you notice his hand position and Lance in addition to his incalculable physical gifts is a genius about bike fit and more known for his road racing prowess, you will notice that his handlebars are almost straight across. This is no accident but by design. It is somewhat akin to pushing on a wall. If the bar sweeps back, then the outside of your hand is more pressurized and that is the discomfort most feel when riding a motorcycle with a pullback bar who aren't controlling their torso with core strength.

Attachments

• Lance Leadville.jpg
    Lance Leadville.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

geo-k

Scooter
Yes, S3, very nice of you to take the time. I can't watch youtube at work, so I will check it out once I get home. I would certainly prefer stretching, etc to eating ibuprofen like chiclets.:hurt:
I work out 4 times a week (weights, cardio, etc), so core strength is OK.
I injured my wrists when I was 8yo and wore splints for a month, and waited tables for 10 years-so I have had some long term wrist stress. But, it's been since I got the Scrambler that it's really acted up.
I had to give up golf for a while due to a condrocostal tear, but I am not giving up riding-period.:nono:

gcrider-Nice looking bike!, and nice bars! Did you have to do much surgery to them (drilling for lines, cutting ends etc.)? Aside, how do you feel about the screen at speed? Does it do much for you? (Which one is it? Triumph/Dart/etc).

gcrider

Street Tracker
I wholeheartedly agree with Speed3Chris about the importance of fit. I'm a bicycle guy too, and I'm fanatical about my bike fit.

The stock scram bars were too flat for me - I needed some more sweep, but not so much as to cause the problems that Speed3Chris describes. I've run bars on other bikes with more sweep and it's definitely a bad idea.

Thanks for the props on the bike. I trimmed 1 inch from each end, trimmed the pins from the control housings so I didn't have to drill the bars. The screen look cool and help some, but not a ton. It's the Triumph screen.