avon roadriders

buckie

Scooter
Just looking for new tires and I noticed that in some places avon roadriders listed as 100/90V-19 and some 100/90B-19 is there a difference between the V and B designations - thanks

Just looking for new tires and I noticed that in some places avon roadriders listed as 100/90V-19 and some 100/90B-19 is there a difference between the V and B designations - thanks

I'm thinking the V and B designations are speed ratings?

tomville

Scooter
http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp

Speed and construction
Interspersed with these sizing numbers, you're likely to find other letters that'll appear as such: 160/70VR 16, 170/60R 16V, or in other combinations. These two extra letters indicate speed rating and tire construction.

Each letter in the speed rating notes the maximum speed a tire can sustain under its recommended load capacity. For instance, V is equivalent to a maximum speed of 149 mph. Because this rating system was created in Europe, the increments per letter are in 10 kilometers per hour.

Rating Speed
miles per hour Speed
kilometers per hour
Q 99 mph 160 km/h
S 112 mph 180 km/h
T 118 mph 190 km/h
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h
V 149 mph 240 km/h
W 168 mph 270 km/h
Y 186 mph 300 km/h
Z Over 149 mph Over 240
km/h

The next letter, R, indicates the construction used within the tire's casing. R stands for radial construction and B means belted bias.

Topher0268

Scooter
The Roadriders are great tires for the price.

+1 on that

Just put a pair of these on this season and love their grip. Of course I was replacing the original tires and was never happy with them so take my opinion with a grain of salt until I put some real miles on the avons ...... if it ever stops raining in mid-state IL ...... I swear I think we've turned into a deciduous rain forest .... yeah .. wrap your brain around that one ...

Im glad I got these tires as replacements for my OEM ones. I have 13K on a set and can tell you the ins and outs about this tire. But needless to say I don't think I'll switch to another set of tires. These tires rock and if you know where to look you can get them for cheap.

bonZa

Street Tracker
maybe I am hijacking here but their website shows a Speedmaster MkII - retro tire? Wonder if you or anyone comtemplated those? I havent seen them mentioned in a thread anywhere

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/speedmaster-mkii

dont see why they wouldnt be worth a try. rated to 112 mph. they look similar to what I had on my old T140

I work with a guy who rides an old 1970's BMW who always uses tyres similar to those with the old fashioned tread pattern. it is his daily transport and he goes everywhere and easily averages 20,000 miles a year with no problems.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I hate to be the voice of the opposition here but I am not completely thrilled with my roadriders. I have just made the switch recently from the Metz's and here is my .02 cents: I love the Avons for slower country/ B type of roads. I think they grip a lot better than what the Metz's did. With that said, I am not happy at higher speeds with this though...my set feels skittish when I break the 85 mph mark and this is where my Metz's felt a hell of a lot better. So I like them at slower speeds in the twisties but don't care for them that much when I do have to hit the highway. I don't feel like I have been ripped off but I will be trying a different brand when these wear out.

Kframe

Street Tracker
+1 on that

Just put a pair of these on this season and love their grip. Of course I was replacing the original tires and was never happy with them so take my opinion with a grain of salt until I put some real miles on the avons ...... if it ever stops raining in mid-state IL ...... I swear I think we've turned into a deciduous rain forest .... yeah .. wrap your brain around that one ...

No need to wait for the rain to stop; last summer on a road trip it rained the better part of three days, well over a thousand miles in the wet and the Avon's felt steady the whole time.
-K

I hate to be the voice of the opposition here but I am not completely thrilled with my roadriders. I have just made the switch recently from the Metz's and here is my .02 cents: I love the Avons for slower country/ B type of roads. I think they grip a lot better than what the Metz's did. With that said, I am not happy at higher speeds with this though...my set feels skittish when I break the 85 mph mark and this is where my Metz's felt a hell of a lot better. So I like them at slower speeds in the twisties but don't care for them that much when I do have to hit the highway. I don't feel like I have been ripped off but I will be trying a different brand when these wear out.

Hmm...Ive done the ton on these tires and they feel fine. Do you think your wheels are improperly balanced?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
No, I did have my wheels checked and balanced again after I changed the tires out. It is kind of hard describe on the keyboard; I have done the ton on both of sets of tires but the Metz just felt a little more solid. The front end just feels a little lighter where the vibration comes up through more...that is what I meant about the slight skittishness with the Avons. It wasn't so bad that it made me want to bring my speed down. The vast majority of the times though I am at the lower speeds in the twisties and in this area, the Avons are great. I have noticed it has been hit or miss; I have talked to people that have had the same impressions on their Avons and then there are people that say they are rock solid at any speed. Makes me wonder if it could be a quality and control oversight/problem coming off the manufacturing line. I can see why they are a nice tire though but I don't think I am done hunting around/trying some others out.

em_dot

Street Tracker
I have Avon Azaro-St on the front and back. Had to go up a size both front and back, but no adverse effect in handling. Frankly, I think they stick like glue and are a lot better than the stock tires. The Azaros don't drift or grab tar snakes like the Metz did.

In addition to the Azaros I sprung for Alpina STS kit, so I'm running the radials tubeless, and the tires are balanced internally with Dyna Beads. The bike is stable as Hell all the way up to 80+ (Highway speed around here).

I got this all done in April so only a few months on them. Time will tell I guess...

drlapo

Hooligan
I have them on my T140 and BMW R80
they feel just right on the T140 and the BMW is so much "lighter" now
I'll put them on my Thruxton next

Jimbon

Scooter
I've found that you pay a price for lighter, nimbler handling with Roadriders: they are unstable at 80mph+

Other riders have experienced the same problem of high speed wobble, heading towards a tank slapper, with several sets of Roadriders.

I took the first set I had fitted back to the shop for re-balancing several times and eventually had a new set fitted by the shop for free with Avon's agreement.

The new set were the same: easily sent into a wobble by ruts or bumps in the road, and a tendency to feel very light on high speed highway bends.

I wonder if this is a result of the combination of tyre and bike. Some people have said that Bonnies are light at the front and steering is improved by a damper. But I had rock solid, though lumpen, handling at any speed when using Metzlers.

For quicker handling with stability up to 70-75mph Roadriders are great.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
This is the same exact impression I got with mine Jimbon. Below 75 and they are a great tire; above that speed and they feel skittish to me. I definitely will be trying a different set of tires out once my Avons are worn. It isn't bad enough for me to change right now, I am still going to use them but this isn't the tire that I keep on my bike.

Rev Olting

Scooter
I thought I read a thread last month (Don't remember where) about Avon tires that showed cracks in the tread face grooves just after mounting,
and all kinds of talk about warranty replacement, etc. Sorry I cannot remember where I read that stuff.