BP and this disaster

KingBear

Hooligan
Further, I was unaware that the ocean was magic. Cool. Just like that durn liberal media to keep that little gem from us. Why are they even bothering to try to stop the gusher?
You bring up an interesting point. The truth is that oil is constantly leaking into the sea from small fissures in the ocean bed. It is part of the natural ecosystem and the ocean waters work exactly as described in the Popular Mechanics article to dissipate the oil, usually before it even reaches the surface in any noticeable way. The difference is now it's a great big hole gushing all at once instead of a small pore, so we are faced with the problem we are all seeing. If it weren't for the impact it is having on human lives and businesses the ecosystem would deal with it exactly as advertised, and before long everything would be just fine.

Yes it is magical, isn't it. :)

[Edit: One little Google search produced this result from Oceanus Magazine... While Oil Gently Seeps from the Seafloor - Oil naturally leaking into the ocean offers a 'laboratory' to study accidental spills]

And so the rumour mill begins. Sounds like utter shite to me. No doubt the BP official is a friend of a friend, and almost certainly English. And as for the Xenophobic crap that's currently spilling out of the States, it's frankly pathetic. Let me just point out that BP is nothing to do with the British Government, it is a publicly listed company. What about the company that leased out and ran the rig - American, I believe. Who licensed the drilling? Sure as hell wasn't the British. I can't help but think that had this happened to an Exxon rig, there wouldn't be half the fuss that there is at the minute.
I agree with the part about the rumor mill, but the rest is incorrect. Shareholders are no more responsible for BP's failures than those of Toyota are responsible for their recalls or those of Enron are for their collapse, etc, etc. The shareholders are paying the financial price in the devaluation of their stock, but the failures are due to the people directly responsible for the operations of the rig, i.e. BP and their subcontractors be they British, American, or Esquimaux.

Exxon has paid a hefty price for their similar failure and continue to be vilified 20 years after the Valdez incident, and the fact that you used them as a contrary example shows how uninformed you are. Please research the word "Valdez" on the Internet, educate yourself, and then if you have any integrity at all you will retract that statement.

And I won't even dignify the xenophobic jab with a response.

I have to disagree......no matter who had the well the fuss would be the same because millions of lives and livelyhoods are being destroyed and affected by this. The human tragedy will over power the well owner no matter who it is in this case. Not just a little spill being contained this will wipe out things we haven't even thought of yet.......
LMT
Yes it is a great tragedy, and yes we will recover. Because it's what we do. :usa:

This whole mess was not caused by a single mistake. This was a chain of bad events that led to a horrifying outcome for all...
As many have said in different ways, and it really is important we keep that in mind.

Now if only our country had a great leader to guide us through these troubling times... :chin:

Last edited:

strokerlmt

KingBear......I agree ...we will recover..no doubt.....and a lot of people from all walks of life and States will help to make the recovery for the Gulf region. My point to TOMINTOUL is that this unfortunately a historic problem. I also understand a little of what TOM is saying because I watch the BBC news and the European media slant is certainly way different from teh USA media....
LMT

koifarm

Hooligan
Interesting sidelight here...
I went into town today to get some stuff from HDepot, but on the way were three BP stations....it was an eye opener...none of the stations had vehicles at the pumps...none...nada...no cars...three stations....deserted but open.
That's gonna sting if it's universal throughout the U.S.......think about it!

Nick Morey

Rocker
Interesting sidelight here...
I went into town today to get some stuff from HDepot, but on the way were three BP stations....it was an eye opener...none of the stations had vehicles at the pumps...none...nada...no cars...three stations....deserted but open.
That's gonna sting if it's universal throughout the U.S.......think about it!

It's a start koi. Here's a problem with that though, I heard on NPR that the majority of the petro that us Americans consume from BP is actually sold via small independent gas stations! That sucks. Too many people buy BP unawares.

KingBear

Hooligan
It's not uncommon for people to express their dissatisfaction with their wallets. I have not (knowingly) purchased Citgo gas since Hugo Chavez's rant against our President in the UN four years ago. In fact I called 7-Eleven's headquarters in Texas and told them I would not buy gas from them, or anything else from their stores until they severed ties with Citgo. Apparently the timing was fortuitous because I was told their contract with Citgo was about to expire and for reasons unrelated to the UN incident they were not going to renew it. I shredded my Citgo cards and stuck to my guns, not shopping at any 7-Eleven until Citgo was gone.

strokerlmt

IMHO that is what sucks about our inflated commercial system. This is hypothetical....The Federal Government has a well or a place to drill in the gulf of Mexico....BP drills and taps into the oil....BP then sub leases to AJAX oil company.....AJAX sets up all the employees and equipment then sub leases and etc etc etc......everyone is making soooo much money you can spin off the liabilities and move onto another project.......
LMT

Nick Morey

Rocker
:pick:Let's all by Sunoco... isn't that the official NASCAR gas? :vp:

Maybe their blowout preventers actually work! :lol3:

koifarm

Hooligan
Air supply..

Fuck oil. This shit is as archaic as whale fat.

More wind turbines, please.

Never saw a dolphin that got poisoned by wind.

Not trying to pick on ya Arcticsea but when I read your post I mentally pictured a Bonneville with a wind turbine on the back supplying juice to an electric motor....too funny....but you're correct in thinking that is a cleaner way, there are more and more wind farms popping up everywhere and in spite of the damage to birds are a great way to get clean energy.

Gretsch

Rocker
Fuck oil. This shit is as archaic as whale fat.

More wind turbines, please.

Never saw a dolphin that got poisoned by wind.

Cool! FYI here's your next bike.

Yamaha-EC-02-Electric-Motorcycle.jpg

07black&red

Two Stroke

Not to mention all the pollution that went into manufacturing, transportation and installation of it. Great thread y'all. We are addicted to oil and until people way smarter than me change that I'm putting some goddamn gasoline into my goddamn twin from the cheapest pump I can find and I'm goin for a ride on my goddamn taxpayer-funded highways!!!