New rear suspension for a lower Bonnie

fletcher

Scooter
Hi everyone. I've just changed out the rear suspension on my 2010 Bonneville to Progressive 412 shocks from British Customs (thank you Sean). This drops the rear by 3/4". I dropped the front on the forks as well.

I'm only just over 5' tall so lowering the bike makes it way easier to handle at low speeds or when parking. Another great benefit is that the ride is now much smoother. Before I swapped out the suspension, I'd see a bump in the road ahead and just know it was going to hurt .... maybe I'm not heavy enough for the stock suspension.

So if anyone's wondering about options for a new rear end on the Bonnie, I say the Progressive 412s are fab and totally worth their US$300 price.

ivar

TT Racer
IMO, most any halfway decent shock would be a nice improvement over the stock "shock transmitters"

fletcher

Scooter
No I haven't changed the front springs yet. Does it make a huge difference if I'm not a very aggressive rider?

I find cornering at low speeds sometimes great, sometimes not. I'm not sure if it's me or the bike but haven't had the problem before. It seems hard to get the front end to fall into the corner unless there's plenty of speed.

I'm short also and I went with the lower Progressives both front and rear.
Major improvement!
I've got an appointment this Saturday to have my stock seat modified with two different types of specialized foam. This is claimed to lower the seat and provide a better ride.

fletcher

Scooter
Hi, is this for the SE Bonnie or the T100? I've got the SE A1 which is the blacked out engine version of the SE. The seat's pretty thin on mine. Would be great to get half an inch out of it but I think it would be almost on bare metal then.

I did the rear and front with aftermarket suspension and it was a great improvement in lowering a little 1" and handles superior.

Fletch,

I've got the mag wheel base black bonnie, same seat as the SE. My understanding is that they are going to install a firmer foam for the base and a less dense memory foam over that. The original cover is then reinstalled.

I have friends that recommended this solution for both comfort and a lower seating position. It costs $175.00 to do the complete seat, or you can opt to just have the drivers position done for less money. They have done seats from all over the world. I just happen to be less than two hours from the shop.

I'll post again after the mod is complete and let you know how it works out.

fletcher

Scooter
Fletch,

I've got the mag wheel base black bonnie, same seat as the SE. My understanding is that they are going to install a firmer foam for the base and a less dense memory foam over that. The original cover is then reinstalled.

I'll post again after the mod is complete and let you know how it works out.

Thanks Slick. I'd be very interested in comfort levels post mod. If it works, I might try it too.

whyme

TT Racer
I dropped my Scam an inch and it feels much better with the handling. I used Bonnie shocks and slid the triple tree down a bit

Fletch,

I've got the Progressive 1" lower front springs. All I had to do was follow the instructions. They were very good. I also put on a set of gaiters while I had the forks apart. I used 10 weight fork oil. I think it took exactly 16 oz. per side. If you decide to go that route, I'll look in my notes and let you know the quantity for sure.

Rev Olting

Scooter
I would like a set of Progressives on my rear also, and lower too. But I just ordered a center stand, and I think if I go 1 " lower on the rear, I may not be able to hike the bike on the stand ? Opinions please.

whyme

TT Racer
On my scram 1" made it stand upright a bit more but it has a large lean from the factory. The bake has more lean now than some other stock bikes i've seen. You do have to be a little more thoughtful when parking on inclines though. You will be ok

Fletcher:
I used Progressive brand on the front the 1" lower version. I just swapped the upper springs not the little lower ones. Didn't want to disassemble the lower legs. Heard they can be difficult. It still came out 1" lower and I can't see how those little springs that come with the kit can have much effect. I used 10W oil and the amount the manual discribed. Well worth it in handling.

The kickstand is not something you would initially consider. Thought about bending the kickstand to increase angle but thought would cause other complications, stand wouldn't retract in the same position and damaged paint on stand from heating to bend, wouldn't work cold probably. Have to be more concerned with it but have not an accident in the about year had it lowered. I put a smaller tire on the front of a 68 Bonneville once and that changed the stand angle, who would have guessed?

Last edited:
After I lowered my mag wheel Bonnie 1 inch front and rear with Progressive springs and shocks, I found that it stood too erect on the stock side stand.

I got recommendations from the folks here and decided to remove, heat, and bend the existing side stand.

The only detractor to this process is now instead of rubbing the foot pegs during aggressive cornering, the side stand contacts the ground first. I'll live with it as I don't do it very often.

Easy13

Street Tracker
I dropped the front of my '07 by loosening the triple clamps and running the fork legs an even distance through them. I too have Progressive (black) 412s on the back and Ikon fork springs. The front is about 3/4" down and she rides nice.

Praise the Lowered!

fletcher

Scooter
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should swap out the front springs too then. I'll probably get my dealer to do the job but thanks for the offer of advice on how to do it.

Just lowering the back has made less of a lean for the bike on the side stand so I don't have as much choice over parking. I guess with the front springs lower as well I'll have to either bend the stand or chop a bit out of it. Doesn't bending the stand (theoretically) weaken it a bit?

Also, I bought the bike with a summer screen but I've given it back to the dealer as being short means my head is in dirty air. Nightmare to ride with the screen on .... I reckon I just won't bother with a screen.

Fletch,

I removed my quick release Triumph Summer screen also. It looked real good but wasn't effective for me as you alluded to. I've had it for about 6 months so I don't think the dealer would take it back, only on the road for 2 short rides, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

On a positive note, I bought a National Cycle "Street Shield EX". It's 18" tall and I have it leaned back. I spent 1 afternoon tweaking the position to get it perfect for me. I'm pleased with it at 1/3 the cost of the Triumph unit.

The problem that I experienced riding without anything is that after a couple of hours, the wind beating on my body tires me out, but I'm old.

Good Luck,
Bill