Power - reconsidered

GuyM

Street Tracker
It's been two and a half years since I bought my re-entry bike, a 2006 Scrambler. Have piled up 11,000+ miles since, despite our snowy winters here in central Washington. A pretty good mix of in-town stuff, country roads, dirt and a bit of freeway. We don't have any freeways close, so I have to go find one to ride... Avoid 'em whenever I can. Lots of mountains and canyons though.

Initially I was pleased with the perceived power of the twin. Think it was the torque and because I'd been off a bike for some years.

Quickly learned that there was NOTHING after it revved up a bit. Good grunt, and then tapered off quickly. Try to wind it up and pass... Hah! Was disgruntled, I mean after all it's a 900 right? Should have some punch...

Did the usual first stage hop-up. Hmmm. Air filter/Air box improvements, re-jet, exhaust and dyno-tune. Picked up a whopping five or six horsepower.

Fast forward a year and dang. Maybe I'm just getting better at riding it 11,000 miles later but well... Dang... I'm pleased and impressed. No, it's no sport bike, but yeah, it gets with the program. Love riding the twisty roads with short straights. Part way through the turn I'll start twisting the throttle, then open 'er up on the short straight. Love the sound of the intake and the Norman Hyde pipes!

Frankly, it's about all the acceleration I care to deal with on those tight, twisty roads. The engine braking is also excellent - so I can often just leave it in second or third and roll the throttle on & off... Love it! My buddies following me often tell me two things:

1. At first they're surprised by the zip out of the turn the Triumph has.
2. They all love the sound of those pipes... Me too...

I ride with guys and gals on all sorts of bikes. Big HD touring bikes, cruisers, sport-touring rigs, sport bikes, adventure bikes... Whatever! At a sane but spirited street pace, the little twin has no trouble holding with the group.

Now if they want to get crazy, Lil' Scram and I come up a bit short - but that's okay with me!

Power - reconsidered - and I'm content. For now...

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If it's where you want it then you're at a good place.

The only time I wanted more more power was when my cuz took off from me like a striped ass ape on his tweaked and peaked Victory. But that was in a straight line and I'm not riding for that reason anymore.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I just took my first real ride yesterday after removing the airbox and putting on a set of Togas. It's a noticeable difference once you let the bike breathe properly..

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Guy,

Maybe your learning some finesse. In 25 years, one saying has stuck around and that is "It all comes down to the rider".

Just for a laugh I want to take my 250 on one of those large cruiser group rides. I would bet the title that it can keep up.

Last edited:

GuyM

Street Tracker
Oh yeah - I rode with about 300 bikes a few weeks ago, a charity fund raiser. Was surprised at how fast the mostly HD crowd was riding out on the open road. Probably averaged about 80 mph, even pretty good through the sweeping turns. Only time I've ever ridden with that big of a group. Made it about half-way, then my buddy on his V-Strom 1000 and I turned off, onto a more interesting road.

The sportier rides, often following a burger on our Thursday Bike Nights, are mostly on twisty roads where smaller, sportier bikes are favored.

It's all fun though, and yes, I think I've learned how to tap into the Triumph's power pretty well now. Opening up the intake & exhaust did that little bike a world of good too.

Later, Guy

drlapo

Hooligan
last year I rode my Thruxton to the Bennington Bash
I rode the sport ride and managed to keep up by dragging the pegs and wearing off the chicken strips
but this year I rode my Speed Triple and was in the middle of the pack
much power is much better than adequate power

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
A thruxton is plenty power for me. I mostly ride with dudes who have vintage rides... I'm the fast guy!

Sport bikes are just to much for me. I would to own a street III for city use. Having that much power off the line would be awesome for darting around SF.

Gretsch

Rocker
The Bonnie has plenty of power. Most sport bike guys, 100+CI Harly's etc. will never use all that power. Myself included.

drlapo

Hooligan
I would have agreed with you last Thrusday but after riding the Speed Triple in the mountains of Vt + NY with some really fast guys I gotta say that 130+ HP is a lot of fun!
last year I had the Thruxton on the rev limiter all day long
and I'm 61 years old
my sons ride a 675 Daytona and a Street Triple and I can keep them in sight on the Speed Triple
I'll be the first in line if Triumph bulds a 1200 , lighter, faster Speed Triple

As Sal pointed out...it's all about the rider.

With big bikes...anyone can go fast in a straight line. Its how you take corners (among many other skills) that define how proficient of a rider you are. Even when Im on the track, I love duking it out with 1000cc's (especially Ducati 1098s). They catch up to me on the straights but I pass them on the corners. It becomes a fun game when you try and strategy how to have him not pass you in the straights. (usually by find a group of riders and pass them so he gets caught up in them)

While I wouldn't mind owning a bigger cc'd bike, I have no desire to primarily because tire costs go up due to how frequent you have to change them and the cost of insurance. My dad has a Concourse 1400 and I was terrified how quickly he wore out the tires.

Plus, it's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than it is to go slow on a fast bike. I don't know how many smiles I get and pissed off faces from others I get whenever I pass squids on sportbikes or tail a squid in a corner on my Bonnie in the twisty canyons.

I find that a lot of riders in America compensate lack of skill by getting a more powerful bike.