Pipe Opinions Please

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Here is the deal; just in the past few days I have been able to score a spare set of eyebrow badges and an extra airbox (thanks to this forum!) and now I think I am going to step forward and do a modern day TT Bonnie. The '67 TT has always been my favorite Bonnie for several different reasons and I am done waiting to see if Hinckley is going to do an anniversary edition with this model. So I plan on doing my own air box removal and cut up the box myself and might try to incorporate a spot for tool storage in it. Some nice and big cones on it and then a set of specialty spares TT. The problem I am having right now though is if I want to go with the chrome or the black ones. I keep going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and I still can't make up my damn mind! So I thought I would use this forum and see what you all think. Which ones, the chrome or black pipes, do you think would look better on my creamiscle?

Key Distinction:

I know some of you may not like the TTs but these are the pipes that I am going with. I am fully aware of what they provide and what they don't. Like I said before, this is my favorite Bonnie and I think the TT has a glorious sound which is what I want. So just opinions on which of the TTs.

The Creamsicle as is now:

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

Chrome TT:

ttsr08x565.jpg

Black TT:

2335602683_321b38ff73.jpg

Couple more questions:

Can anyone tell me that might have these pipes now if having a center stand will be an issue with them? I know the '67 TTs couldn't have a center stand because of this issue and was curious if this holds true with these new pipes.

I also would like to get another tank. Does anyone know of a good source for a Hinckley Bonnie carb'd tank? I already have a good painter and will have it done in the Aubergine and white just like the '67 and that is where my spare eyebrow badges come in:D The rest of the mods will be real minor: buy some chrome mud guards and I'm done. You can't beat these Hinckley Bonnies...for not a whole lot of money, I will have two completely different looking bikes and there really isn't a whole lot of work involved in getting back to the Creamsicle as I have all my stock parts...good fun! Thanks ahead of time for your comments as I am looking forward in reading what you have to say. :snack:

dschief

750cc
My opinion (for what it's worth) is if you want the period look, go with the chrome. The black pipes are more late 70's or 80's looking to me.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Wow...first post and hit my dilemma right square on the head. The '67 did have chrome pipes and mud guards which is why I will get a set of those as well. I was just looking at my bike though and thought the black might look sharp because of the frame and then the short pipes basically stop right where the bike really begins to get black towards the end of it. But then we go back to the "original" look...I'm putting too much into this.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I really appreciate this input...it has my wheels really turning. I think the first hurdle that I need to get over is if I am going to do make this towards a strict period look or do I want to go for more of an adaptation. I am thinking adaptation right now for a couple of reasons:

1. the period look can turn into a never ending hole where you keep finding more and more to get at the true essence of the '67.

2. an adaptation would be cool in the sense that the TT is present but so is the Hinckley factor as well. This brings a certain uniqueness to it.

3. I love the creamsicle and don't completely want to abandon that look which is why I will be getting a second tank and have it painted.

Keep in mind the picture I posted of the black TT pipes has the chrome caps on them which is not something I would get...it would be a straight black pipe. The one thing that grabs my eye on those black pipes is how it boxes in. By this I mean it really flows on the frame line to where it damn near melts right into it. I like this because I THINK it will really accentuate the timing, sprocket, and clutch covers. Look how those black pipes really make the sprocket and timing cover pop out on the picture above and those covers are alloy! I think with chrome covers that the Creamsicle has and those things will be screaming at people. Keep in mind too that my black panels will go back on the bike and I have found a site that has all of the Meriden stickers so the bike will lose the white throughout the center there.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Sounds like you are leaning towards the black ones, B06Tang. Another plus for them is they wouldn't blue, if that bothers you. Also they would be easy enough to repaint if they start looking like they need it. That being said I like the chrome, for the period factor and they would "pop" out more. But, that's just me, I'm a chrome nut. :D

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Blue pipes have almost as much character to a Bonnie than the badge itself on the tank. I have never whined or moaned about blue pipe...its a part of it. I am leaning towards the black ones for the reasons I stated above...I think it will box in the chrome real nicely and make those items really come forward. I'm not completely sold on it though as the problems with pictures at times do not always translate over to real time. So time they might look bland on a picture but then will be screaming when you actually see it. The other issue that could be a show stopper is if I would have to remove my center stand. I emailed specialty spares about this question but haven't received an answer back yet.

dschief

750cc
Honestly, if the carbs are jetted right, you should see little to no bluing. My Bonnie's pipes have only a very little blue at the "cooling fins".

dschief

750cc
BTW, what chrome mud guards are you going with?
The reason I ask is: I just installed a chrome front fender today that I picked up cheap. I did not want to go that route, but the original black fender was twisted from a previous owners mishap, and I couldn't find a black Bonnie fender cheap. Now that it's on there, I have been thinking a chrome rear would complete it, preferably Thruxton length. I guess I'll have to get mine chromed if nobody makes one.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
BTW, what chrome mud guards are you going with?
The reason I ask is: I just installed a chrome front fender today that I picked up cheap. I did not want to go that route, but the original black fender was twisted from a previous owners mishap, and I couldn't find a black Bonnie fender cheap. Now that it's on there, I have been thinking a chrome rear would complete it, preferably Thruxton length. I guess I'll have to get mine chromed if nobody makes one.

I wasn't sure but I think I might just order the chrome front mudguard and then would have to hunt around for a rear one and get it chromed once I was able to find it. I am not in a big hurry to get this done and plan on hunting around to find what I can at first rather than going to the store and buying everything in one swoop. It definitely will be a work in progress.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
On the last picture, what is the tail you used? Aluminum/polished? Did you fabricate it? Looks good.

That was just a picture that came from specialty spares...not my bike. They do have the chrome caps that you can add on to the TT pipes if you want.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
I'm an old school guy, and grew up when new TT Bonnevilles were sitting on the showroom floors of the local Triumph dealers, so I'm going to have to vote for chrome.

I wish I had a full-size picture of my Street Tracker with the TT pipes I fab'd using the stock headers, but the only photo I have is too big to post. Meanwhile, I will post a photo of the tips. It took me about an hour to work build these TT pipes.

I merely cut off the stock headers where they begin to turn 'up', then, using my Dremel, I hacked off half of the mounting hardware. I bought a pair of exhaust clamps from my local V-Twin retailer, and a pair of $5 (each) vintage VW tips. If you want the bike to be 'loud', then do the same thing w/o the V-dub tips.

TTPipeswithVWtips.jpg

Last edited:

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
There is somebody here that put alot of time into making their new Bon look like an old one, and it turned out pretty sweet....wish I could remember his name...

Anyways, I have thought about doing the same with my '08...making it look like a '68 but other projects keep popping up...

So...

Chrome is the way to go for the look and vibe you want.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I think it is going to have to be chrome; personally...I like how those black pipes box in all three covers BUT with that said, I have a bad feeling that I will be kicking myself if I go with the black ones because at the end of the day...this is supposed to be a reflection of the '67 TT.

With that said though...I have heard through the grapevine that specialty spares has ended production on the TT pipes; has anyone heard this rumor? I sent them an email a week ago asking them about the center stand issue with these pipes and still have not response a response back. It seems like this project might be slammed shut before I even get started:(

I had thought about wacking the stock pipes at the upturn and using 12" shorty mufflers at $20 apiece. Didn't want to alter the someday "classic/rare" parts. However if I really needed stock I could probably find orginals in the far future.
I have a long occuring hangup about not altering parts on classic machines. Had a 68 T120R I aquired in 72 and never made any permenant changes, thinking of the future. Missed out on alot of expression possabilities, but my brother has her now and it is still "unaltered".
Maybe I should get past those hangups and move to what I want, not what someone in the future will want.
Another jaunt to another subject: back in the late 60s early 70s when I rode the 68 Bonnie alot, the police were really looking for a excuse to pull over a "greasy biker" to be "hasseled by the Man", you had to be careful about loud pipes. Not like today with the open pipes Harleys seeming to be the standard.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I know what you mean bonnie and I am the same way. That is why I have been on the hunt for stock parts as I plan on doing my own air box, cut down on stock signals, and even try to hunt down a tank in good condition and have that one painted. At the end of the day, I will have all stock parts for this bike and the one nice thing about these Bonnies is that you can do things like this which can change them drastically but you can also bring them back to stock with relative ease.

I e-mailed them this weekend and got a response yesterday. The person was Dale Martinson and I don't think it was a automatic response email that you see sometimes. So I assume they are still in operation. Their site says they respond to phone calls also. Maybe that would work.