Would it make any difference...

Arkwright

Two Stroke
I'm thninking of fitting a Dart flyscreen to my Bonnie, but would like to know if it makes any discernable difference to the aerodynamics.

At the moment, anything above 70 is hard work on my ageing body because of buffeting, but I don;t want some big ass screen spoiling the looks of the bike.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Arkie...

AceT100

Rocker
Can't speak for the Bonnie, however, before I moved from the UK, I had one on my Ducati Monster, small one like the Dart, little more than a headlamp width one, but at 'over legal speeds' it made a BIG difference, I could sit upright at 100mph with ease....On a test track...allegedly...Officer

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Many accounts of this question which is a good one. The guys I know who have tried one, run without for the simple fact that with a dart sized screen you trade even body buffeting with just head buffeting which most find even more objectionable. I run without. Unfortunately if you want function, it just ain't pretty on a bonny because of upright sit up and beg riding position. If you are tall you need a taller screen in particular...especially with a stock handlebar.

Moral to the story: Ride the bike as designed which is lower than speeds of 80 most of the time which is safer anyway. Wind contributes to perception of speed which is in part why we ride...to feel the speed. The flipside is sport bike riders who knife the wind have to ride too fast to get a sense of speed. If using a bonnie for light touring and doing a lot of miles, I believe a taller windscreen is a good investment.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Flyscreen review

I plan on putting a short review in the correct section here, but to asnwer your question, it helps a little. I put one on my bike about a month ago and have done 500-600 miles with it. I read all the reviews, some guys said it caused helmet buffeting, some guys( a slim majority) said it was good. Here is a picture of my bike with the Dart.

GEDC1805.jpg

What I found was the Dart does just a little bit of good but its probably not the comfort you are looking for. Its too small, almost negligible. If you think about it, your headlight and instruments are already sort of a tiny windscreen and this Dart flyscreen probably doubles their affect. 2 x a very small amount. I definately feel the turbulance on my chest is less. The example I would use is , you know how it feels when your T shirt whips against your chest? Well, that doesn't happen with the Dart, you still have wind, but the airflow is smoother. The down side is the Dart creates a shoulder height layer of turbulance. My Joe Rocket helmet is already really loud with a lot of wind noise, which I hate. Now I am 6'-3" and I find if I sit bolt upright its not too bad, the helmet gets out of the tubulance and into regular airflow but if I slouch the helmet rim gets into the turbulance and gets real loud. I am thinking of taking the screen back off because of this.
I did find one other interesting benefit of the Dart, which no one has mentioned. If you tuck in real tight, helmet almost against the tank, knee and elbows in, the Dart will send the wind over your head and your top end can become almost effortless. I don't think that is the purpose of the Dart, but its there nonetheless.

Last edited:

Arkwright

Two Stroke
I've just been chatting to someone who has this screen on their Bonnie and they think it's made a significant difference in the 70 and 90 mph range.

Screen.jpg

Think I might give it a try. It's not that expensive and I can always adapt it into some weird kind of baseball cap.

retrorider

Scooter
I use the summer screen, which lifts the wind to about mid-helmet (I'm 5'7", so your results may vary if you are taller). There is some buffeting, but it definitely eliminates the wind pressure on the chest.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I think with any of these screens it depends a lot on your body size, riding position, and how you ride. I don't think you can say it didn't work for so and so, so it's not going to work for me. Raising or lowering your front or rear end can make a huge difference on Aero drag, so it really comes down to trying it. There are enough of them out there used that I'd say try it and see how you like it.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I think with any of these screens it depends a lot on your body size, riding position, and how you ride. I don't think you can say it didn't work for so and so, so it's not going to work for me. Raising or lowering your front or rear end can make a huge difference on Aero drag, so it really comes down to trying it. There are enough of them out there used that I'd say try it and see how you like it.
Sal made good comments and yours are on the money I believe. One size doesn't fit all. One can easily determine this by visiting just about any sport bike forum. Many install a taller windscreen and/or revise the fairing to achieve the airflow they desire based upon riding position and body size.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I have the dart flyscreen, and I'm not sold on it yet. It causes a ton of headlight vibration due to my aftermarket bucket, and for me, I think I need something just a little bigger.

It takes the air off my chest, but it puts it right on my shoulders. If I were 5'10", the screen would probably be perfect, but I'm much taller than that.

I'm still in the process of making a few adjustments, but I'm not convinced it's the right screen for me.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Though I kinda liked the look, I got tired of the Dart and all that wind noise/helmet buffetting as well. It's gathering dust and will probably continue to do so.

Just an observation, and I'm by no means an exercise phreek, but a few situps now and then really help my riding posture. I'm not bothered by airflow hitting my chest and I don't have any problems riding long distance without any type of windshield.

What Sal & LMT say - I swapped the stock bars for a set of NB Superbars which are lower so cant me forward a bit more, reducing frontal area. I am a long-time bad back sufferer and these are in no way uncomfortable for 200 - 300 mile days.

Also, IMO, the small flyscreens look cack on our bikes. ;)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I got one and I like it. Don't really have much to report on the buffeting thing other than I ordered it for that very reason.....and I've had it on the Black long enough for me to not remember how bad the buffeting was before I had it. I will say this. I'm not planning on taking it off cuz it do look kewl.

fender

Street Tracker
I've got the Dart and have used it on and off with stock bars, super bars and now mbars. I install and remove it based on the type of riding I'm doing.
Longer rides at higher speeds 65+ it goes on, much less tiring.

The downside that I've experienced with it isn't the helmut buffeting but the increased wind noise. I guess the wind buffeting depends on several factors (helmet, bars, rider height, seat position ect) It does reduce the wind pressure on the chest so it adds a measure if comfort at higher speeds, especially on windy days.

My favorite so far is mbars and rear sets. That reduced the the need for the most for a screen with the trade off of a more forward lean which also helped my ride comfort also (my lower back no longer complains).

ivar

TT Racer
The downside that I've experienced with it isn't the helmut buffeting but the increased wind noise. I guess the wind buffeting depends on several factors (helmet, bars, rider height, seat position ect) It does reduce the wind pressure on the chest so it adds a measure if comfort at higher speeds, especially on windy days.
I've had the exact same experience. No buffeting, but noise from the wind hitting the underside of the helmet.
That is, until this year, I swapped to Thruxton headlight brackets, turned around so the headlight got around 2.5" lower than stock. Now the reduction in windblast is pretty slim and I'm going to take off the dart for now.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan

+2 Buffeting, wind noise, I thought it was the same thing. Yeah,

ivar

TT Racer
to me, butteting is turbulence / disturbed air, shaking your head. What I experience is an increased - but still fairly smooth windblast hitting the underside of the helmet

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Quick update...

I bought this screen in the end. Going out in about an hour to see what effect if any it has on the ride.

Screen%201.jpg

screen%202.jpg

I'll post my thoughts later