Tornados in North Carolina

em_dot

Street Tracker
Thanks Man!

You missed a biggie, that's for sure. It lasted about 45 minutes and it was a little scary. The storm went through Cary at 60-75 mph! thunder and lightning, lots of rain, but no hail. Tornados all around us but nothing within 5 miles.

There is fiberglass insulation and roofing material everywhere for miles. Just crazy. Nothing compared to Huricane Fran though. Not even close...

Bonniebret

Rocker
Thanks Man!

You missed a biggie, that's for sure. It lasted about 45 minutes and it was a little scary. The storm went through Cary at 60-75 mph! thunder and lightning, lots of rain, but no hail. Tornados all around us but nothing within 5 miles.

There is fiberglass insulation and roofing material everywhere for miles. Just crazy. Nothing compared to Huricane Fran though. Not even close...

Glad to hear you guys are safe. My old neighbors in Wake Forest were in the closet under the stairs during it.

cantilever

Scooter
yep - fran was worse. Death toll was about the same - but with Fran we had a lot more warning. Higher amount of property damage with fran.

One of the 8 or so monster storm cells that spawned the tornadoes touched down right there next to Ray Price Triumph.... they had an open house that day too. South Saunders street has been closed since then - they just started routing traffic today. Shaw university has classes cancelled for the rest of the semester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukuERsvfDMU

The only other storm that compares to injured / deaths and property damage was march of 1984 (not to be confused with the 1988 one that didn't like the k-mart on glenwood)

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Mother Nature has no favorites. I saw the damage and feel for the people who lost just about everything.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
We got lucky in the southern part of the state. Charlotte just got strong wind that knocked down trees but not as bad as some parts of the state. I saw video of one house that had a piece of lumber punched through the outside of the wall into a bedroom. Yikes.

JEnfield

Street Tracker
I went down to see my daughter at NC State Saturday holly hell it got nasty. First time in my life I have seen building materials falling out of a crystal clear sky and then figured out why it didnt stay clear long. Not much damage in her complex near Carey but the damage was real bad on RT 401 leaving sunday.

Littlejoe

Scooter
We got our asses handed to us in Fayetteville. The tornado that did damage here formed over our a neighborhood within 1/4 mile of my house, did tree damage to a bunch of my neighbors homes, but left mine alone. Crazy.