The mounties are coming, update on Koifarms sidecar project!!

koifarm

Hooligan
About five oclock this morning I had this nagging thought that I wasn't happy with the mount and the way it was close to the ground.
So, I got on the laptop and with a cuppa coffee, looked over the post, by coincidence, I looked at the picture of the subframe parts when they came in and freaked out! I had mounted the subframe wrong.....yes wrong....totally fucked up! I'm not even going to go into the embarrasment of posting my fuckup for the whole world to see....let's don't go there!!!!
So, here is the new/old and correct way it should have been mounted:

2009_0521Hardpointsandframe0001.jpg

2009_0521Hardpointsandframe0002.jpg

And, here's the correct mounting on the rear bracket, as it was intended.

2009_0521Hardpointsandframe0003.jpg

I can't fault Texas Sidecar on this one but what i did figure out was that they sent a set of directions for a "general mounting" procedure but no directions specifically picturing the way the mount they sent me should have gone. Oh well, hindsight is cheap. The good thing is that it's now mounted correctly. Everything else applies as posted.

I need to add this, when they sent the subframe there was no way to get a socket into the subframe to tighten the nuts on the eyebolt. The nut fit through the hole but there was no way a thinwall socket was going to get in there to tighten the nut. So, I simply enlarged the hole in the opposite side of the subframe to accept the socket.

Next came the upper front mount, pretty standard, same thing on the America, Bonneville, Scram and likely a thrux.

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0002.jpg

And then the upper rear mount. This involved drilling a 1/2" hole through the gusset at the top of the lower frame tube where it intersects with the top frame in the seat mounting area. I also had to modify the battery box slightly to allow the bolt to go through from inside to outside. I used a soldering iron to melt a hole in the box. Okay, I'm lazy, but to do it "properly" you would have to remove the fender, airbox and battery box and really , WTF, I'm not getting paid by the hour to do the job...lol....and usually take the easy way out. Oh, it was a 3" bolt, a 2 1/2 inch would have been better but apparently they either do not make one or the store didn't carry one so I went with a 3 inch and used grade 8 washers to take up the difference.

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0020.jpg

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0024.jpg

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0023.jpg

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0024.jpg

Setting up the car frame in the approximate position to gauge what I need to do to mount it. Should work out okay but i'll post those pictures and explanations when I do the work.

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0027.jpg

And the strap system to bring the bike vertical for mounting....

2009_0520Hardpointsandframe0029.jpg

That's about it for this phase, I'll post more as it happens.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Rodburner,

Oh Oh,I just realized I had it mounted the wrong way. I'll make it right and post different pictures asap.
I can't believe I did it wrong....oh well, back to the drawing board.