Slab City Riot 2, Niland CA

Bonniebret

Rocker
In word "Holy Shit". The Slab City Riot2 in Niland, CA was the most insane event I've ever been to in my life. Combine custom bike builders, PBR, loud music and people living off the grid and you have the Slab City Riot 2. It was "Mad Max" in trucker hats.

We left Phoenix Saturday morning around 10am and made 257 mile journey in about 5 hours. It should be noted that this was Zack's custom hard-tail Bonnie's shakedown run and with the exception of the seat coming loose about 100 miles out it did great.

This event by no means for the faint of heart nor was it your typical doo-rag wearin', point at the chrome affair. Skaters, dirt bags and builders from around the southwest descended on Slab City, a little community of people living off the grid in desert just outside of Niland, CA by the Salton Sea. It's been called "The Last Free Place on Earth". This weekend it was invaded by about 1,000 people in Vans, tattoos, truckers hats and black tee shirts on custom bikes.

I'd say about a quarter to a third of the bikes there were Triumphs and most were new ones. That REALLY surprised me. The BA MOTO crew was there in full force. Half the new Trumps were brought by them.

One of the highlights of happy hour was an event called the Coctagon. Basically a bunch of guys beat the crap of each other in a circle and the last man standing got $500. Did I mention there was free beer? You can imagine the rest.

There was live music all-night and bon fires galore. The locals even joined in the party. At times things seemed like they were going to get out of hand i.e. guys lighting abandoned boats and cars on fire but the rowdy crowd exercised a little self control. The local police and border agents were staged around the perimeters just in case.

Since my drinking days are long behind me I went back to camp early and listened to sounds of motors and music in the darkness. We left just after sunrise and after another five-hour journey back I was glad to be home.

dsc00678h.jpg

dsc00679qj.jpg

dsc00683ki.jpg

dsc00691t.jpg

dsc00693y.jpg

dsc00697v.jpg

dsc00700u.jpg

dsc00704e.jpg

dsc00706ki.jpg

Last edited:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Sound's like the only thing missing was Jonny Knoxville and the Jacka$$ crew.

Seriously!!! Not sure I'd go back again but it was fun just being a spectator. I remember waking up and hearing the band (1/4 mile away) playing "Working For The Weekend".

D9

Vendor
Cool report... great pics...looks like one helluva weekend :D

Would enjoy seeing more pics of the green bobber...

Bonniebret

Rocker
Would enjoy seeing more pics of the green bobber...

Unfortunately those are my only shots of it. I had never seen a louvered fender like that on a Triumph before. I also really liked the color and the fender stays.

DAMMIT!!! This weekend I was sooo close to this!!! I was at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway doing a trackday! I could have gone over there afterwards and hang out! Definately would have been better Sunday because I blew up something in my engine and was spewing coolant and oil on the track