Rusty Rims??

whyme

TT Racer
I got a "new" used 2007 Scram. Excellent condition-low miles. I noticed pitting on the rims in the outermost valley. Anyone else have this? what gives on a newish bike having rusty rims?? The bike was well cared for too.

whyme

TT Racer
yeah...I guess.....he was in the "rust belt." I have 40 year old Honda rims that have no rust. It does not seem right that it would happen after 2 years.

There actually was a post showing someones wheels on the inside, after they had removed a tyre. And the amount of rust inside was a lot!
Apparently the wheels came from italy (Cheap) and were left exposed outside quite some time. My (02 model) is now starting to show some pitting as well, even though I keep them cleaned regular.

koifarm

Hooligan
I've had some sort of corrosion under the clear coat on both wheels and hubs, I keep it waxed up so it doesn't seem to spread but it showed up about a year after the bike came from the dealer new. It kinda looks like little spider webs...

whyme

TT Racer
Thanks everyone. So it does not seem to be neglect but rather a factory issue. I'll just keep after them with a coat of wax

trustme

Scooter
When you change tyres lift the rubber covering the spoke nipples , that is where the real rust starts. If rust is there & you are not covered by warranty, start treating the problem sooner rather than later

ivar

TT Racer
I also found rust below the rubber band. But luckily, most disappeared after wiping down with WD-40.

jbfla

moped
I got a "new" used 2007 Scram. Excellent condition-low miles. I noticed pitting on the rims in the outermost valley. Anyone else have this? ...
Yep. First tire change on a T-100. Bike always garaged and never out of FL.

jb

IMG_0890.jpg

koifarm

Hooligan
Gotta be water leaking through the spoke end fasteners....wonder if there's any way to seal those buggers off.....
May be with the tire off an application of silicone sealer under the rubber band?

jbfla

moped
Gotta be water leaking through the spoke end fasteners....wonder if there's any way to seal those buggers off.....
May be with the tire off an application of silicone sealer under the rubber band?
I used a wire wheel brush in an drill to remove the rust and sprayed some clear coat on the inside of the rim. Then I put on a new rim strip before mounting the tire.

I also have wiped the spokes and rim with WD40 about once a week since I purchased the bike. That didn't seem to prevent the rust. I'm curious to see what the rim will look like at the next tire change.

jb

whyme

TT Racer
Do you see any pitting on the outside chrome?? I think sealing it sounds good but you may trap more water on the inside once it gets in there??

trustme

Scooter
I had my rims replaced under warranty but they were way worse than that & it was a battle to get Triumph to agree.

I suggest you wire brush then treat with a water based rust converter, then apply something like LPS 3 Premier Rust Inhibitor or CRC Natural Lanocote.
Both products remain soft so that spokes are not locked as would happen if you use an etch primer or POR 15 . Simply check & reapply when changing tyres. Lanoline products are natural & bloody good at keeping rust at bay in a marine environment.

Something to consider, are you using a water blaster on the rims & could that the source of the problem

Last edited:

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
One old mechanics trick you might try is to rub the affected areas with aluminum foil. The foil acts as a kind of "sandpaper" as well as it leaves shiny metal in place of the pitting and discoloration.