Rewiring Project

Bonniebret

Rocker
There's something to be said about being obsessed to the point of action. For example the stock wiring on my bike has always made me nuts and it seems like the more I do to the bike the more it's ugliness rises to the surface. Well I finally snapped and decided to do something about it.

Armed with nothing more than a schematic, ignorance and a vision that changes every 24 hours I've begun simplifying the wiring. So far I've pulled all the carb heater bullshit, accessory jack, sidestand switch, TPS and front turn signals. I've relocated the rectifier and plan on moving the relays and starter solenoid under the seat. Give it that "nekkid" look.

Bates-style headlight's going up front along with a mini-speedo (D9, we'll be in touch). The goal is to have it done in time for the 1-Show in February.

3oim.jpg

82hw.jpg

fender

Street Tracker
I'll be following this one also. Now that the riding season is over (had our first snow) I've been thinking about doing the same to mine. Want to significantly slim down the wiring harness to relocate the rectifier and get rid of the mass of plugs in the headlight bucket.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hey Bret, Looking good man. That's a nice garage too. Don't you run a blog for Bonnevilles as well? JW if I remember that right.

strokerlmt

I am with you. Dislike the rats nest of stock wires. I have clipped a few but would like to do more. You have more guts than I have. I did put a box in-between the forks and behind the headlight where I now have the majority of the connections that usually go inside the HL. Good luck......
LMT

Flaco

750cc
Hello Bret…
I'm doing the same w/ my Bonnie Bobber project…
Time consuming scratching the cranium…
Skeeter and I are still alive and well here in southern AZ …
Send me a email and I'll turn you on to like minds in the Pacific NW...
You know…
Music, art and motorcycles…
BTW, I'm sure you have discovered most on your own…
Allin in Tucson...

Bonniebret

Rocker
Not much to report this week. Today was spent staring, feeling overwhelmed and then staring some more. One item to note before I got started I fired up the bike to make sure it still worked after my first pass. That was one in the "Win" column.

I blocked out where I wanted the relays and fuse box under the seat. I feel like I can't really tear into it like I want to until my new speedo and headlight arrives. I predict the whole harness will be shortened by a foot.

The best part was removing the alarm connector and all the extraneous wires that go with it.

strokerlmt

Not much to report this week. Today was spent staring, feeling overwhelmed and then staring some more. One item to note before I got started I fired up the bike to make sure it still worked after my first pass. That was one in the "Win" column.

I blocked out where I wanted the relays and fuse box under the seat. I feel like I can't really tear into it like I want to until my new speedo and headlight arrives. I predict the whole harness will be shortened by a foot.

The best part was removing the alarm connector and all the extraneous wires that go with it.

BB....not trying to tell you what to do...FYI this is what I did. I took a BC aftermarket battery box, cut it down and rotated it 180 degrees it fits/hides behind the triangle brace from upper to lower frame, hope that makes sense. rectifier and horn bolt to the front of the battery box using rubber spacers between the B Box and the rec and horn.....then I got a metal shallow baking pan at the super market sanded, primed and painted. I chopped the use less metal behind the bat box and in between the frame. I bolted or the pan to the frame. Brain box, relays, fuses etc all go in the pan. The key gets bolted under the frame on the right side. Then I peeled back all the wiring for each bit one at a time, clipped, used alu connectors then soldered, heat shrink and tape. put a 4 X 5 inch plastic/painted water proof electrical box in between the forks and put most of the headlight connectors in the box. The headlight connector gets sealed with tape and on the left side of the frame to the wire harness under the gas tank. I last thing I am doing is clipping the instrument connecter and hard wirings the wires and heat shrinking. I have a box of wire left over. Oh....I took at least a foot off the rear lights loom as well.
Good luck...have fun...
LMT

Bonniebret

Rocker
BB....not trying to tell you what to do...FYI this is what I did. I took a BC aftermarket battery box, cut it down and rotated it 180 degrees it fits/hides behind the triangle brace from upper to lower frame, hope that makes sense. rectifier and horn bolt to the front of the battery box using rubber spacers between the B Box and the rec and horn.....then I got a metal shallow baking pan at the super market sanded, primed and painted. I chopped the use less metal behind the bat box and in between the frame. I bolted or the pan to the frame. Brain box, relays, fuses etc all go in the pan. The key gets bolted under the frame on the right side. Then I peeled back all the wiring for each bit one at a time, clipped, used alu connectors then soldered, heat shrink and tape. put a 4 X 5 inch plastic/painted water proof electrical box in between the forks and put most of the headlight connectors in the box. The headlight connector gets sealed with tape and on the left side of the frame to the wire harness under the gas tank. I last thing I am doing is clipping the instrument connecter and hard wirings the wires and heat shrinking. I have a box of wire left over. Oh....I took at least a foot off the rear lights loom as well.
Good luck...have fun...
LMT

Crazy, man! Would love to see pics. I'm hardwiring the speedo and headlight too. I also am using butt connectors with the ugly plastic stripped off and marine grade shrink tubing. It has a sealant inside so it's fairly permanent.

strokerlmt

Crazy, man! Would love to see pics. I'm hardwiring the speedo and headlight too. I also am using butt connectors with the ugly plastic stripped off and marine grade shrink tubing. It has a sealant inside so it's fairly permanent.

ohhhh...marine grade shrink wrap.....I need to find some of that....Will get some pics when I can for you....
LMT

strokerlmt

BB....here is a pic I found.....
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Roger

Street Tracker
ohhhh...marine grade shrink wrap.....I need to find some of that....Will get some pics when I can for you....
LMT
Double-Wall Shrink Wrap is the same thing. The inner wall turns into a soft sealer when heated, gets compressed by the outer wall and then hardens when cooled. Good stuff, I just bought some for work today.
Buy it at most any electronics supply store.

Edit: BTW, the Single-Wall or Thin-Wall shrink wrap is useless where there are any vibrations. I don't recommend using it on anything motorized.

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Needs more tie wrapping....rubber cover over battery....then rubber cover over everything.....
LMT

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0

Bonniebret

Rocker
LOL. I like the "Brain" label. I'm hoping to make a big push in the next couple of days. Speedo came in the mail this week and I expect the D9 bracket and headlight tomorrow. If all goes well then it'll be running Saturday.

KingBear

Hooligan
The wiring sucks. I never would have wanted to dig into the upper harness on my bike, but the factory wiring is so shitty I was forced to repair broken connections.

I'm going to follow this project and maybe it will give me courage and motivation to do something like it, or at least implement a few upgrades.

strokerlmt

The wiring sucks. I never would have wanted to dig into the upper harness on my bike, but the factory wiring is so shitty I was forced to repair broken connections.

I'm going to follow this project and maybe it will give me courage and motivation to do something like it, or at least implement a few upgrades.

KB.....
Electrics is my worst skill. actually bought a used wiring harness from Pinwalls for 50.00. I laid it out on a piece of plywood. stripped the stock cover off.blue tapped and felt pen marked what each connector was for. separated the wires and tie wrapped. removed things like the alarm bundle etc. when I would clip and shorten I would clip ONE wire at a time, use a bare metal crimp, solder and shrink wrap. once a complete bundle was done I would shrink wrap the bundle. when done I tie wrapped the harness but did not tape/cover. I put it on the bike to make sure all the bundles and connectors were in the right place....then I taped the whole harness.
It takes time but for an amateur it was easy to follow like paint by numbers lol.
Good luck......LMT

Bonniebret

Rocker
Lot's to report on the "form" side; not so much on the "function"side.

First off my new headlight showed up yesterday and got installed and looks sweet. I going to take some steel wool to the brass bezel to knock that shine down and give it a more antique look.

Second, I installed the mini-speedo with my new D9 bracket. MAN, SETH DOES NICE WORK! It's GORGEOUS! If everything went together like this the bike would be running now!

That said today was devoted to the reality of wiring everything. First was the headlight. It worked! Then came the speedo/LEDs.

Highbeam light? Check.
Speedo light? Check.
Oil Pressure? Check
Neutral? Check.
Blinker Indicator? Blinkers? Blinkers?

Sigh. So the indicator worked on the left side but not on the right. After some tinkering I got indicator working when switched to the right but then it would stay on when switched to the left. Shit.

At that point I proceeded to just start touching things until the light started blinking. Basically the same thing I do when my fiance and I have sex. "How about this? No? What about here? Hmmm."

Once I found the magic spot I realized I could shorten the distance by snipping a couple of wires. *snip* Shit. Wait. Which one...? SHIT! At this point the battery died, my feet were cold from being in a 45 degree garage all day and said fuck it. Once inside, showered and my Diet Coke level was returned to normal I was able to look at the schematic clearly and saw the errors of my ways. And the beat goes on...

j58t.jpg

d3pr.jpg

ig0n.jpg

strokerlmt

Nice BB. shit that reminds me of Bridget Bardot in her young sexy beautiful days. wish there was a pic of her on a bike. which headlight and how did it mount? and Seth.....he is a true unique motorcycle artissssstttttt.
LMT