Rare English beauty

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Went to an autocross event with my Pop who is a member of the N GA Jaguar Club. He has an XK8 convertible now, but is interested in an XK 120 or 140. Kinda his life long dream. So he is shopping for one now. Went to this event to see if any showed up. Only one - kinda plain until you find out more history. It's one of the first 60 made in 1949. Back when they were only supposed to be show cars or made for kings and lords and such. Well the public liked them so much they decided to put them into production. Anyway back to this car which this owner bought in 85 and has taken care of it since. It's a very rare all aluminum bodied, totally hand made show car, by which I mean it was built by Jag for car shows only. This guy drove it hard as possible on the course and had a blast - gotta love it when they drive their $500,000.00 (this particular cars value) cars on the track.

CIMG2469.jpg

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Classy Jag there, what a beauty! Glad to see he's not hiding it in a garage.....I'll bet it handles about as nice as it looks....

Kirkus51

Hooligan
you gotta love the classics.

As a car fan (as opposed to a car nut) I had a Volvo P1800 and was dumb as hell to trade it in as opposed to sticking money into it as it was a blast to drive. And..... it was as much English as Swedish.
volvop1800.jpg

DandyDoug

750cc
I helped a Doctor I knew restore and XK140 years ago. The car had a LeMans race provenance. Wonder what ever happened to it and how much it's worth today.:c

Nice photo's JW, are you coming to Linville Falls next week ?

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
I helped a Doctor I knew restore and XK140 years ago. The car had a LeMans race provenance. Wonder what ever happened to it and how much it's worth today.:c

Nice photo's JW, are you coming to Linville Falls next week ?

Linville Falls is out for me Doug, too much going on and I'm building an addition on my Cabin in Blue Ridge. I'm trying to make it Sat at Barber, so hope to see you there.

ssjones

750cc
God, the motor of that Jab is almost as lovely as the bodywork.

I snapped this cameraphone pix this evening on the NY Thruway. This couple was heading from Minnesota to Maine in this hot-rod '48 Lincoln. It had modern, Lincoln MkVII running grear (32v V8, independent suspension, disc brakes all around)and a mix of old/new items inside (reupholstered Pontiac Bonneville seats) and all the creature comforts of a modern car. The guys son built the car in his restoration shop, said it took seven years. The bolt-on fenders were molded in with lead. The paint and bodywork was flawless. Not a fan of the wheels, but what Gran Tourer she is!

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
I'll be at Barber Fri -- Sun
Give me a call on my cell 336 624 1810

Got It! Tom called last night and I told him I would not be at Linville Falls, but would see him at Barber if he can afford to go this year (has the girls that weekend so costs go up).

cafenoir900

VENDOR
you gotta love the classics.

As a car fan (as opposed to a car nut) I had a Volvo P1800 and was dumb as hell to trade it in as opposed to sticking money into it as it was a blast to drive. And..... it was as much English as Swedish.
volvop1800.jpg

My bro had one of these... a '62. We partially restored it (never finished 'cause it was too much fun to drive). This was a car that loved to be driven HARD... bangin' through the 4 speed, then toggling the Laycock OD... waha! A blast and a half.

koifarm

Hooligan
Cars

Gotta love those old Jags, I drove one of these for many years, had one of those old leather flying helmets (still have it) and a white silk scarf and terrorized Milwaukee and parts beyond with it. My memories are driving it on weekends and spending all week repairing it for the next one...the top leaked like a sieve and you needed wipers on the inside of the front window when it rained....fond memories for sure...one helluva babe magnet as I recall......:brit:

Triumph_TR3_1.jpg