Poms flog us, AGAIN.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
You Poms have done it to us again.
You've gone and flogged us in the cricket. This time in the final of the 20/20 Cricket World Cup. Congratulations England, well done!

Never fear, we'll get our revenge in the upcoming Ashes Series to be held in Australia later in the year.
We've just got to figure out of way of nobbling Kevin Pietersen.....and who's this Kieswetter character?

Any UK forum members cricket fans or belong to the Barmy Army?

Yes to the baggy green, no to the budgie smugglers.

We know that you can "swing the ball", but can you bat?

Bill Lawry & Richie Benaud
While commentating during a match in which Pakistan was faring badly in all departments of the game, Bill Lawry, offering a solution said "I think Pakistan's problem is they've got to relax", to which
Benaud replies nonchalantly, "I don't agree. I think Pakistan have got to learn how to bat, bowl and field. It's a simple game."

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Bill Lawry & Richie Benaud
While commentating during a match in which Pakistan was faring badly in all departments of the game, Bill Lawry, offering a solution said "I think Pakistan's problem is they've got to relax", to which
Benaud replies nonchalantly, "I don't agree. I think Pakistan have got to learn how to bat, bowl and field. It's a simple game."

Wise man, Benaud, wise man.

Trying to encourge some of the UK forum members to surface. So far, got replies from Oz, Germany and Colorado(?).
Might have to make some sort of declaration (no pun intended) like, "Ian Botham's a poof". See if that gets a reaction.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Only in a game like Cricket could they have something like a googley (I remembered it from a WWII movie set in England).

In baseball there's things like a fastball, curve, slider, and the best one of em all a knuckleball. And that's the boring game played in America.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Only in a game like Cricket could they have something like a googley (I remembered it from a WWII movie set in England).

In baseball there's things like a fastball, curve, slider, and the best one of em all a knuckleball. And that's the boring game played in America.

Just to confuse the issue, as well as the googley, a bowler in cricket can bowl a; wrong'un, flipper, chinaman, leg break, off break, leg cutter, off cutter, bouncer, bean ball, shooter, and from India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka (not sure which), a dooshra.
Not too sure about the spelling of dooshra, but that's how it sounds.
There is more but that's probably enough. Maybe there's a Brit out there who can come up with a few more.

I have to disagree with you on Baseball. It's far from boring. (or is there a hint of sarcasm there kirkus?)
Went to the new Yankee Stadium a month ago and saw the Yankees play the Texas Rangers. I'm hooked. Been sitting up 'til 4am in the morning past few days watching replays of US games.

I'm a bit of a sport nut. Any sport, love it.

Last edited:

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Some of the delightful gentle ribbing I get from my Aussie mates come Ashes time:
We have to win something once in a while, to keep us going through the many fallow years to come.

Q. What do Geraint Jones and Michael Jackson have in common?
A. They both wear gloves for no apparent reason

Q. What is the height of optimism?
A. An English batsman applying sunscreen.

Q. What does Ashley Giles put in his hands to make sure the next ball
almost always takes a wicket?
A. A bat.

Q. What would Glen McGrath be if he was an Englishman?
A. An allrounder.

Q. What advantage do Kevin Pieterson, Andrew Strauss and Geraint Jones
have over the rest of their team-mates?
A. At least they can say they're not really English.

Q. What is the English version of a hat-trick?
A. Three runs in three balls.

Q. What do you call an Englishman with 100 runs against his name?
A. A bowler.

Q. What is the most proficient form of footwork displayed by English
batsmen?
A. The walk back to the pavilion.

Q. Who has the easiest job in the English squad?
A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
A great way to start the day.....with a good old belly laugh.

Thanks for sharing those Tom.

Of course the joke could be on us Aussies come next summer if the Poms turn up ready to play cricket....real aggressive cricket like they showed in the 20/20 final.

Bring it ON!!! :brit::fight::australia:

:cheers:
Rod

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Nah, we only play like that once in a generation. Just enough to bring in the kids for the next few years! And that's the way we like it. Let's face it, if we won all the time, we'd just end up arrogant, you know - just like the Aussie team!

I'm an Aussie fan, the sooner we get rid of that arrogant prick Ponting the better. It's hard to support a team of bigheads.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
no idea what any of you are talking about but enjoyed the thread.

Hockey Def'ns for the sunburners...

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.”

lingo:
slapshot
wrister
between the pipes
icing
boarding
roughing
high-stick
forecheck
backcheck
pokecheck

wobblygong

Street Tracker
just end up arrogant, you know - just like the Aussie team!

a team of bigheads.

Arrogant????
Bigheads????

.......I do not know of what you speak.

no idea what any of you are talking about but enjoyed the thread.

Hockey Def'ns for the sunburners...

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.”

Glad you enoyed the thread...a bit of cross-cultural sharing is good for stimulating the soul. If we were all the same the world would be boring as bat shit.

Watched lots of hockey on our recent North American trip. Could really get into that too. But, as a I said, I love all sport.

Hockey def'n, very apt!

The American comedian Robin Williams once described cricket as "Baseball on Valium".

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I can't wait till the World Cup rolls around.... Now that's gonna be a thread. I actually became a sort of semi-fan when I was called for Jury Duty and the World Cup was on Univision or some other hispanic channel. Since I had to be there I watched the games.