Polishing the side covers!

Skeeter

Rocker
ive been kinda hiding lately due to me buyin a toyota tacoma and ive been on that forum and since i dont have a garage and it seems the forum is kinda fizzling out SOO lets start a new thread on something.
well... my dad just finish buildin his garage and i moved my tools in to it and now i have a place to tinker out here in AZ, 2 years after moving here. so today i began tearin apart the cam cover since it was leakin. while i was at it thought might as well polish the cam cover. so i did. then realized i didnt have the cam gasket, DOH. but did have both the side case gaskets. so i began polishin. i ordered the gasket and like crush washer things
so polishing these things isnt hard but just takes some time. i have a harbor freight buffer and i just take my time. stripped the clear coat of with aircraft stripper and it works great. 1st time i used it. usually use the brush on kind but the spray stuff works awesome.
the last pic is my dads dresser on a hydraulic lift he installed in the floor of the garage so we can lift bikes. thing works frickin great

Attachments

• 2013-01-2317.08.07.jpg
    2013-01-2317.08.07.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-01-2317.56.40.jpg
    2013-01-2317.56.40.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-01-2318.25.28.jpg
    2013-01-2318.25.28.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-01-2317.15.38.jpg
    2013-01-2317.15.38.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
you don't have to replace the cam cover gasket, I have taken my cover off and re-used the existing gasket

ps I think i'm going to do this to my bike, the clear coat is all messed up. but I may just wire-wheel them after stripping the clear off them rather than polishing up.

Skeeter

Rocker
you don't have to replace the cam cover gasket, I have taken my cover off and re-used the existing gasket

ps I think i'm going to do this to my bike, the clear coat is all messed up. but I may just wire-wheel them after stripping the clear off them rather than polishing up.

well mine was leakin... not gonna put it back on

i dont know what theyll look like if you wire wheel them. might not look too good but if you use a scotch brite pad itll give it the "brushed" look

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I would avoid wire wheeling them. I have done it to engine parts in the past but the high speed tends to pull the aluminium and can create an unpleasant texture. Scotchbrite is good though - I personally love the effect!

Skeeter

Rocker
well a week later and still no cam cover seals, but after a ton of wet sandin and polishin ive put the side covers back on. theyre as good as theyre ever gonna get i think. i wanted them super polished but they turned out good

Attachments

• polishside.jpg
    polishside.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0