Painting Triumph Flyscreen

toothman

Scooter
I want to paint my Bonneville flyscreen.

Does anyone have some tips. Such as primers, sanding, getting the best results ext...

Want to go from maroon to black.
Going to try to paint it with Krylon Fusion paint

Thanks for the help

I did this. Painted my whole bike. You could find the posts in the project zone on the boards.

Basically, bead blast or sand the paint off the part.

You don't have to completely get to the plastic. If you sand down to the original triumph primer it will be fine.

Use a sanding block made of rubber. Everyone thinks they can use their hands and it'll be fine, but it's not. Use a block and 600 grit paper to start.

Sand using progressively finer paper. Some people say to go all one way with your stroke and then on the next pass of finer paper sand across that grain. I did it this way, why not?

So just sand down till you have a very smooth surface using maybe 1000 grit. Clean the part with alcohol.

Prime with automotive primer, I used DuPont primer, but any type will do.

Two coats, let it dry for a couple days or bake it in an oven. Sand with 1000 grit lightly and then 1200. Clean again with alcohol. Let evaporate, and paint.

Paint like you normally would. A few coats of color following the paint directions, then clear coat. Use as much clear coat as you want. More is better in my opinion.

Then you have to buff the clear to get that polished finish.

Pro tip- gloves. Always wear nitrile gloves for the entire process.