My Suzuki project

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I just bought my Bonnie, but before I could afford it I bought a 1982 Suzuki GS1100G off Ebay as a project. The bike was cheap but in pretty sorry shape. This is what it looked like last November when I first got it:

Suzi001copy.jpg

And this is what it looks like now:

finished004copy.jpg

It took me a lot of work as I have never done anything like this before. I have learnt so much! There is very little paint on the bike, it's mostly textured powdercoat. I won't be going quite as full-on with my Bonnie but I thought you fellas might like to see my bike.

mollbike003copy.jpg

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Thanks! Yeah it sure is a blast. Being an 1100 it takes off. It's quite different from riding the Bonneville. I used flatslide carburettors which are kinda more brutal in how they deliver the power! I mainly chose the GS1100 because I liked the shape, especially the tank. I didn't know when I bought it that they are actually really cool bikes to ride. I just wanted a cheap project, but I've become quite attached to it.

It's also really comfortable and I can ride it for hours. But it makes me happy to get back to a twin as adjusting and synching 4 carbs gets old pretty fast!

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
wow, quite a transformation. You have taken a blah bike and made it beautiful. Very, very cool. that said I would cut down the front fender straight away... :) there's always a critic...

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I may well do that. I agree that the front fender is visually too big, but all the aftermarket fenders I could find looked too thin - I deliberately put the fattest front tyre I could up front. So yeah - maybe I should get to cutting this one down a little.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Whoa. Those are hard to find around here. I like it. Just one critic, I would have lowered the front an inch or so .. to the point of leveling the stance.