lucas light fitment

msc66

Two Stroke
So am I the only one to be un happy that the lucas style tail lights don't cover all the holes and junk from the original light? Looks half assed to me. Can't decide which is worse.

DADE305

moped
I agree i bought mine from New Bonneville for $100 dollars thinking it would be better than the ussall $35.00 one. The website states all hardware is black. When i emailed them because they wouldn't talk to me by phone they stated that they hadn't updated there website and to spray them black. I still havent figured out how im going to install it. Im thinking of using the factor bushings have the screw go through it and put a small piece of hose over the screw. Its funny how on the website pictures they dont show the factor holes! any other ideas?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
If installed properly, the Lucas light looks factory and a vast cosmetic improvement to the bike.
Plugs are available for the large holes in the fender available at most Ace Hardware stores. The flange of the Lucas light obscures the holes in the fender to the point you never notice them.

I posted the DIY procedure here:
http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6094

Lastly, I personally prefer to install the light as a stand alone and not the plug and play kit which changes the position of the light on the fender. The plug and play kit is quite a fastening monstrosity with bolts running at acute angles in an effort to not drill the fender. That said it works and many prefer the plug and play kit.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

owenbrau

moped
I just got the kit, and I have a problem. The instruction say to put "the ring terminal" over the top screw on the underside of the fender, but unless I am blind I don't see any such thing down there. Am I in trouble?

It looks like it will fit fine, the extra holes won't show and the spacers clean it up a treat.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I just got the kit, and I have a problem. The instruction say to put "the ring terminal" over the top screw on the underside of the fender, but unless I am blind I don't see any such thing down there. Am I in trouble?

It looks like it will fit fine, the extra holes won't show and the spacers clean it up a treat.
I presume a ring terminal is a small circular metal ring with a wire attached to it. That would likely be for the ground owen or what the English call earth :)...is part of the kit wiring harness that is one of the wires that you must connect to complete the circuit....and why you connect it to the fender screw....ground runs through the entire frame and metal fender on these bikes. You are a long way from being in trouble. There isn't much that can't be solved here and pictures are a big help if you get stumped.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Bonniebret

Rocker
+1 to what Speed3Chris said. The instructions aren't that clear but with a little common sense you can figure it out easily.

I would wire the "ring terminal" wire to the stock negative tail light wire rather than to the frame. Be aware of polarities; if the fuse blows, you'll have to reverse the wires.