K&N

Frank

Scooter
I'm thinking of removing my air box. I have installed some aftermarket loud pipes, Triumph re-programmed the computer for that & i've dropped to a 17 tooth ft. sprocket. How much of a difference does eliminating the air box / adding K & Ns make? Is it worth all the trouble (Based on the directions to remove the air box???)
Frank

capt

moped
Frank keep the airbox, just open up top and bottom and remove the baffle, there's almost no difference in the air flow gained by putting pods on, look in tuneecu web site there is my tune to suit bafflectomy opened air box short open mufflers ( forans ) gained 4hp and much better torque. As that was what I asked the dyno operator/tuner to focus on, I tow trailers two up, my fuel consumption is around 18 klms/Ltr 2 up and towing around 170 kgs of loaded trailer . I have looked on several triumph sites and there is little reason to go for pods, On one site a fellow Aussie did a fairly scientific testing regime to prove or disprove pods versus modedout air box, he came up with a difference of about 3% better for pods ! So is that worth the money ? My tuneecu map for 2008 america should be a good start/test point for speed master/america's of similar years without electronic speedometer's. I now have 101,000klms on my bike 94,000klms on dyno tune, now have 904cc high compression big bore kit same tune just added 10% more fuel for whole map, hope to re dyno in next couple month's, fuel economy not changed greatly, worst has been 17.5klms/ltr towing. But motor nearly run in now and improved to 19.5/20klms ltr on steady runs.

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
I would beg to differ regarding the assertion that K&N filters let in more dust. If that were true then all the AMA Pro Flat Track racing bikes including: Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Indian, Triumph, Suzuki and more would all be making the same huge mistake. It's the ONLY filter you see used on ALL of those factory sponsored racing engines. I believe that what makes them a superior product is that they filter finer particles better AND AT THE SAME TIME allow more air through!

capt

moped
Yes but people read these posts or start a new one with the same questions but for a later model bike ! My 2008 fuel injected America had 94,000 klms on it when I stripped it down to put 904cc big bore kit in, it had K&N filter from about 5,000 KLM mark, there was no damage to valves,pistons or barrels! They all looked like new !