Is it possible to put a suicide shifter on the T100?

owenbrau

moped
Suicide shift isn't about only shifting down, it refers to either the old-style hand shift where you had to take a hand off the grips to shift, or to the also old-style foot clutch, where you had to keep the pedal depressed when stopped as there was no "neutral" position.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
This thread is one of those that make you smile and scratch your head at the same time. My silly suggestion to the fellow with the black marks on his shoes is to either go barefooted or sell your Triumph right now and buy a Vespa. No shifting, just Twist N Go and it's ok to ride with tennis shoes on them, no one cares at their rallies but ya might have to get a bull ring in yer nose or a AA battery stuffed in yer earlobe to get in the right frame of mind.
Dude, the fact that you chose to ride a Bonneville is high style enough, don't worry about your shoes getting a little dirty, that's what they do. They're just shoes!

What the hell is the world coming to?- Sheriff Buford T. Justice

Kirkus51

Hooligan
OK, try cutting a small piece of leather and lacing it up over the shifter. Or maybe just a leather boot lace. Outside of that, you might have to make a heel toe shifter.

On another note, Harleys had the original suicide shift. The bikes had a foot clutch and a tank shifter. The reason it's called a suicide shift is pretty obvious. They started having the option of a hand clutch and it was nicknamed the mousetrap and it was a real contraption. You had to have a pretty good grip to use the damned thing. I know. I had a couple of old baggers in my wasted youth.

Attachments

• dad 52 harley.jpg
    dad 52 harley.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

mikenva

Rocker
hd wasnt a real suicide shift.there clutch had to be moved both ways heel toe .A true suicide shift has the clutch spring loaded so it works like the ones on cars.both had shifters on the side of the tank .

hd wasnt a real suicide shift.there clutch had to be moved both ways heel toe .A true suicide shift has the clutch spring loaded so it works like the ones on cars.both had shifters on the side of the tank .

+1

Harley never produced an actual suicide clutch.

...really....REALLY?!?

Get some riding boots and keep your nice Air Force Ones at work, backpack, or locker.

or if you're anti ATGATT, get dark colored shoes.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I see. So it's a fine point that the foot clutch on old HDs wasn't an actual suicide shift. It was a modification.

NIT PICKERS!!

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
another option

Shifter Skinz Shoe Boot

skinz_black240.jpg

So I got these to wear with my Golfing Nurse Shoes...
And they keep gettin' dirty.
Now what?:crazy:

I see. So it's a fine point that the foot clutch on old HDs wasn't an actual suicide shift. It was a modification.

NIT PICKERS!!

Using the correct terminology sure makes things more clear, don't you think? It's not a fine point, a rocker clutch and a suicide clutch are two totally different things.

HeelToe.jpg

thats exactly what I'm talking about, do you guys know where I could find one for the Bonnie?

Ok I also dont worry about shoes getting marked and would not fit one.

But if really want a Heel and toe shifter.

Honda CT110 have them fitted standard, and shaft is same size as that of the Bonneville gear change shaft. So should be able to pick up from a Honda dealer.

Last edited:

whyme

TT Racer
I have one on a CT90....never seems to work right. I end up moving my feet around on top...maybe I have it on wrong...maybe I'm not flexible enough?? I can't push my heel down enough to get it to work right. You should try one first

I have one on a CT90....never seems to work right. I end up moving my feet around on top...maybe I have it on wrong...maybe I'm not flexible enough?? I can't push my heel down enough to get it to work right. You should try one first

Yer, you dont push yr heel down mate. Best way is to just stamp on front and stamp on back lever, using ball of foot. Like you have found

Too much hard work using heel
Some people even make mistake of trying to lift front using top of foot ! lol

whyme

TT Racer
ohhhh thanks mate!...I thought they were designed to use your heel. So I revise...mine works perfect! Do you have a Postie? Great little bikes to ride around town

ps. been to Sydney...beautiful city and country you have there. Did some great diving up North.

mikenva

Rocker
Ok old fart history 101.The reason they got the name is because alot of guys that used them there foot sliped off the pedal at stops while they had the motor reved up and alot of them got mess up bad.I have a buddy that lost his leg and use of his right arm from one of those.The shifter was called jockey shifter allso.

ohhhh thanks mate!...I thought they were designed to use your heel. So I revise...mine works perfect! Do you have a Postie? Great little bikes to ride around town

ps. been to Sydney...beautiful city and country you have there. Did some great diving up North.

Actually work for Oz post so ride one 5 days a week.

great little bikes, real engineering gems

oz is great, One day I will make it to your country. just need a better paying job :)

whyme

TT Racer
yeah could not afford it now. Went when I was single. Love those little Hondas-jealous you get to ride one everyday for work! I guess you mastered the heel/toe shifters.