heat wrapped pipes?

Skeeter

Rocker
so i have a thruxton and want to wrap the pipes in heat wrap tape, i know how to do it and wet it and all but my question is has anyone done it and did you use 1inch or 2inch wrap? i know ill need 50ft but everyones tellin me diff on 1 or 2inch. thanks

Delbert

Two Stroke
Just remember, heat wrapped pipes can't cool properly from the forward movement due to the wrapping, you might get a hole in the pipe(s) from the heat it will contain, you could also get a burnt valve/cracked exhaust ports, also from all that heat being held in. I know that racers sometimes wrap their headers, BUT they also only run their engines for a quarter-mile at a time between runs, their carburators are running rich to keep motors from doing a meltdown, get top end performance, and to help keep underhood temps down. You don't see pipe wrapping on todays' vehicles due to all the aluminum motors, like it used to be in the old days with iron motors. Racer's also replace a lot of parts that everyday commuter's don't normally replace. Running a wrapped pipe for daily riding could have serious consequences to a motor's longivity, especially an air cooled motor. You might want to rethink about wrapping your pipes.
Del

Skeeter

Rocker
wow del....
never thought about that. thanks. i really dont feel like doin motor work, sucks doin motor work on my 78 bonnie and id hate to have to do it on the 05. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

KingBear

Hooligan
Good info, Del! I'd read before that the wrap would hold the heat in and never could figure the reasoning behind it.

BTW, I might be in Jefferson City on business for a few days this month. Do you know of anything interesting to do during the evenings? Looks like the kinda place that rolls up after dark.

MattRat

TT Racer
Just remember, heat wrapped pipes can't cool properly from the forward movement due to the wrapping, you might get a hole in the pipe(s) from the heat it will contain, you could also get a burnt valve/cracked exhaust ports, also from all that heat being held in. I know that racers sometimes wrap their headers, BUT they also only run their engines for a quarter-mile at a time between runs, their carburators are running rich to keep motors from doing a meltdown, get top end performance, and to help keep underhood temps down. You don't see pipe wrapping on todays' vehicles due to all the aluminum motors, like it used to be in the old days with iron motors. Racer's also replace a lot of parts that everyday commuter's don't normally replace. Running a wrapped pipe for daily riding could have serious consequences to a motor's longivity, especially an air cooled motor. You might want to rethink about wrapping your pipes.
Del

Interesting thoughts. I ran wrapped pipes for several months and a few thousand miles and saw no problems. Maybe after several years and tens of thousands of miles these problems would pop up...

The theory behind the wrap is sound...maintaining the heat in the exhaust gasses increases their velocity and adds a "scavenging effect" (not my term - read that somewhere) which basically sucks more air through the engine. I'd love to see dyno testing to prove that there are gains...

Delbert

Two Stroke
Good info, Del! I'd read before that the wrap would hold the heat in and never could figure the reasoning behind it.

BTW, I might be in Jefferson City on business for a few days this month. Do you know of anything interesting to do during the evenings? Looks like the kinda place that rolls up after dark.

The wrapping of exhaust started well in the late 50's or 60's when headers didn't have the metal quality they have nowadays, and certainly shouldn't be used over a chromed or stainless steel exhaust pipe, and it helped racers not get burned so badly when they went to check their spark plugs between rounds and to let them know which way to reset the carburator jets for the next round, as the racer when from drag strip to drag strip and top fuelers only ran 250mph tops and there was no such thing as an aluminum block or heads(except motorcycles). Remember this was well before racers had computers to tell them after each race how the motor was running like they have nowadays and there was no such thing as a racing throttle body/fuel injected vehicle on the strip at that time. The wrap did do some good to help with scavaging the raw fuels that was dumped into the exhaust, but with the advent of computer controlled engines, wrapped pipes have now gone the way of the over head valve engine to be now ruled by the DOHC, 4-valve head engines that produce twice the power with less cubic inches. Nowadays a wrapped pipe is generally seen on a show bike, just because it looks COOL with the bike's theme, BUT don't do it if it's for everyday riding as you won't see the damage until it's TOO LATE.
Sorry, can't help ya with the town of Jefferson City as it's 100 miles from me. You might try calling Chamber of Commerce and request that City Info be sent to you to see what might be highlights to see.
Del

Skeeter

Rocker
i found this info on a place sellin heat wrap.
Keeps exhaust gases hotter for faster exit
Accessories, electronics, turbos…they can all generate intense heat in your engine compartment. And that excessive heat can rob your car of power and cause you discomfort. It can also lead to component failure.

im not sayin its right. i dont know what to do now. ahaha

78gold

Two Stroke
Heat Wrap

Now I was told the following by an old (80's) biker :w who raced a bit in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

1. Heat wrap is ok on the manifold of older cars as it helps with the scavenge and reduces under bonnet temps. This helps a few ways including battery, coil etc life.

2. Heat wrap my 67 triumph engine if I like the look as its probably not going to do any damage as its a chop and I am not going to ride it hard.

3. Do Not Heat wrap my 2007 Bonnie as it may cause damage to pipes not being able to cool properly. Doesnt matter how good it looks it shouldnt be done. He recommended some sort of coating, can't remember which but it was black.
He did explain it all but after the first 6 beers it was blah blah blah.
Regards
Nigel

bdavanza

Street Tracker
My friend's 66 Bonnnie has wrapped pipes. He took the wrap off one day to replace it for cosmetic reasons, and found the header pipe had split under the wrapping.
He bought new pipes and wrapped them, he likes the look. He also burned a big nasty hole in a piston a while back, I wonder if that was on the same side as the split?
-Ben

Skeeter

Rocker
my buddy has his '78 and '02 bonnies wrapped. i told him what i found on here but he doesnt seem interersted in removin them. although i love the look thats why i wanted to do it

mrt202

Street Tracker
I wrapped mine. I think it added about 5-6 RWHP.:lol2:

I don't plan to take it off anytime soon. If my engine melts down, i'll be sure to tell y'all.

Beaman

Two Stroke
Has anybody had a personal experience with wrap causing damage to the engine? I am getting black preds and want to something with the headers....Maybe powder coating

Skeeter

Rocker
Has anybody had a personal experience with wrap causing damage to the engine? I am getting black preds and want to something with the headers....Maybe powder coating

from what ive gathered, no, its all hear say and theory

I ran some wrapped thrux headers on my bonnie for a while. I didn't wrap 'em, I traded my bubs for the thrux headers and preds and the previous owner wrapped the headers. I was too lazy to take it off.

I had an exhaust stud shear off at the head. Was it because of the wrap? Dunno. Carlos at TPUSA said something to the effect of he's seen a few broken studs like mine, and most of them occurred on bikes with wrapped headers. It was a pain in the ass to get the stud out. I had to remove the head and take it to a machine shop to have it spark eroded out. Lots of my time and $50 to the machinist, and another $150-200 in gaskets later and it was good again.

Now I'm running D&D 2-1 pipes, no wrap, no more. Plus I think it looks like shit, just my opinion. No matter what, it fades, gets filthy, comes loose, holds moisture, stinks, gets fiberglass fibers on your hands when you touch it, and there is no cleaning it. I think it's a look as played out as other fake "old skool" cliches like flat black paint with red rims, again, just my opinion

bdavanza

Street Tracker
I don't think you can damage the motor with wrapped pipes. You pipes can suffer, though but since we have not heard of any wrapped headers on new bonnies breaking, and they are stainless, I think it would be fine.

blkthrux

Two Stroke
I had mine ceramic coated and they are holding up great. I think it cost me around $200.00. They have been on for about 4000 miles and still look like new.