front end "clonks"

Peastick

Banned
I've got a stock front end, and when I hit the occasional pot-hole in the road that my taxes have so far failed to fill I get a most disturbing knock from the forks. It sounds like they're bottoming out or something. Maybe it's the front brake caliper housing having a little jiggle? Anyone else get this too?

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Try checking the front fork stem bearings for freeplay - I had a very distinct clunk in my project bike which turned out the be headstock bearings. Jack the bike up and see if you can wiggle the forks - it can be done with the tire on - but is much easier to do and detect with the front wheel off. Or it could just be the stock 1950's technology damper rod forks clunking overr the big bumbs.

Mine makes a noise, not really what I would call a clunk though. It is from the head light bouncing around. It may be exadurated though due to the visor I have on it.
Just something to check.

WW

Kirkus51

Hooligan
As one of the heavyweights riding a Bonnie I can tell you there's clunking going on with my front end. It's a ton better with the heavier fork oil I put in. 20W I think.

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
As a heavyweight (230lbs) I was bottoming out the stock suspension too. Springs and 20w oil really helped if not cured it most of the time.

Greg

Two Stroke
New, stiffer springs are a cheap, easy solution, not to mention making for a better over-all ride.

Peastick

Banned
Well that's another job on the "to do" list - springs and heavier oil.
Meanwhile, it's a comfort to know I'm not abnormal. Talking of which, does anyone else have three testicles and a crush on Paris Hilton?

mrt202

Street Tracker
Meanwhile, it's a comfort to know I'm not abnormal. Talking of which, does anyone else have three testicles and a crush on Paris Hilton?
I wouldn't call it a crush, but i've got somethin' for Paris!:D

Skinthead

Two Stroke

I don't have 3, but mine are large enough that they ride pillion. I have a bitch of a time buying jeans! What really sucks is I am only inches away from being able to stay at home forever.......

Not real sure what to say about Paris......I don't like super skinny women.....and she is a sack of bones.....

Skint