DIY strip and clear your tank....Advice?

northcountry

Two Stroke
plating

I guess my regret is that I thought the powder coating was going to make it look like metal (silver alloy was the color chosen) but it really just looks like a stock silver paint job with a matte finish. I still like it...it's just not unique enough for me. I hate pulling up to go for a ride with my club and looking like I have a standard paint job, especially when I don't.

I've been trying to cover more bikes than just my own on my blog. Here's a recent post of my bike with some glamor shots; http://thebullitt.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-shoes.html

Have had a couple bikes with nickel plating, my favorite.

Craigore

TT Racer
nohawk, bullitt, dudes... I am doing this "mod" this weekend. Am looking for suggestions as to what you used for stripper/sandpaper. I've got 200-1200, various hand sanders, a brass wire wheel, etc. etc.

after doing it to my RD, I've gotta do it to the bonneville...

anywhere here's a crappy pic:
208d9af7.jpg

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Yo Craigore, I started with 220, and went down to 320 (dry sanding). I then switched to 600 wet sanding and then 1200 wet. I should mention I didn't want mine super shiny and perfect so I never used a wheel or anything motorized. When I showed it to my wife she said it looked like an old airplane. I knew at that point I was done. My plan was to matte clear it but when I was in the garage I accidentally grabbed my Dupli Color gloss clear. I wet sanded between the first 2 coats and did a final third. As everything else on my bike is matted out, it actually came out pretty cool. One thing to note - any little bit of gas that splashes out will eat through the clear. Good luck!!

Here's a sneak peek:
tank.jpg

nohawk

Rocker
Damn that is looking cool Bullitt, I need to check your blog more often. Craigore I used aircraft stripper and went after it with a wire wheel. The primer that Triumph use is tough as hell.