CDI problems...groan

cafenoir900

VENDOR
Ok, so when I bought my '04 Thruxton, one of the first mods I made was changing from stock Gill igniter to a Procom. I did this in winter '05. It has been ok until recently, but now it is starting to crap out. Hard starts, gunshot backfires when cold starting, spotty and inconsistent performance at times. One problem is, I can't find the OE igniter, so I can't check the number on it for compatibility with the new Procom Programmable unit. My Thrux was manufactured 03/04. Is it reasonable to assume that bikes manufactured around the same time would use the same igniter unit number (this is not the Triumph part number, but the one Gill stamped on the unit)? If so, can anyone with a bike manufactured in March '04 let me know what their Gill igniter number is? I'm hoping to get a number of like answers... BTW, this is not a California or high altitude bike if that makes any difference.

HELP ME OUT, PLEASE!

Tabletop

Scooter
My '05 Thrux has a date of manufacture of 04/04. My Gill unit died 1 1/2 years ago and I switched to a Procom unit -bought used. Part number on the stock unit is T1292365.

The stock unit doesn't even start the bike, the Procom works well until I hit higher RPMs (6500 or more) and the bike stumbles and misses. Had the bike dynoed for power and AF mix. The shop said "everything was fine" but couldn't print out the dyno run when I picked it up. They said they'd mail it, but never did. I ran out of gas two miles down the road. Got home and only had one seat bolt barely hanging on (a few more miles and it would have fallen out.) The service manager and owner never returned my calls or emails. I'm never going back to coopersburg for service.

Apologies for the rant in response to your post. An unreliable ignitor not running the bike right, mine or anybody else's, really pisses me off.

cafenoir900

VENDOR
Thanks for the info... I had mine dynoed(?) at Coopersburg, too; at their open house recently. Actually had a good experience and got the curves for my bike and a bored and recamed(?) Scrambler for comparison. 61 bhp at the wheel for mine 65 for the Scrambler. Sorry to hear of your bad experience... I've heard others, too, but not much personal experience with them.

Aussie - your info seems to jive with Tabletop. By the linked chart, mine would've been a ......360 unit. Not one on Procom's list... hmmm, what to do?

I'll contact Procom again with the information and ask the big question...

To pick more brains, though, anyone know what the difference between the ....360 and ...365 (evap) units would be?

cafenoir900

VENDOR
Yeah, see, my (assumed) # is 1292360, and it is not on the list. I wish I knew what the differences are and if there would be a problem. I am waiting on Procom's answer now. I also wonder if the intake/exhaust mods I have made would factor in to the compatibility issue, or if there are differences in the various pick up points feeding into the system that affect the whole kit...