cam holder needed

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Alright, so valve clearance and shim change on thruxton, get all my parts in, get her put back together at proper torque settings. One of the bolts holding the cam cover down, pulled the threads out of the cam holder. Bike bandin doesn't sell them separate from the cylinder head, the shops here have no clue what I'm talking about. Who can fucking help me before I commit hari kari.

In the photo, it's the cam holder between part number 2 and 3.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 11.45.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 11.45.23 PM.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm confused; there are threads in the cap that hold the cam down?
the caps are line bored with the head and are not available seperatly

is it the thread that holds the cam cover on?
why not use a helicoil?

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Helicoil is what I'm going to have to go with. I was just hoping for a simple swap, rather than a don't fuck this up or else. The word of the day ladies and gents, is Finesse.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
In the photo, it's the cam holder between part number 2 and 3.

Helicoil is going to be your only choice unless you want to buy a whole new top end. Both manuals state that those holders are cut out of the same block when the top end of the motor is cut so there are no replacement parts for that.

drlapo

Hooligan
there are a couple of options ie rethread kits other than helicoil
but that is a low stress area so a helicoil is probably adequate

brass

Two Stroke
Be sure NOT to break (split) the Holder while drilling/tapping/Helicoilin'/etc., or you will be buyin' a new head. (or spendin' much money to your local machinist)

So much for heads without cam bearings! (Sucks)

Good luck!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
It went well enough it seems. minus me not paying attention to the orientation of the cams when I took them out. . . .oops.