Bonneville with swept-back pipes

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
20120603L.jpg

Today, I would like to report "Mototwin Retro Racer Bonneville Pipes” for Bonneville. The swept-back type pipes used to be the popular exhaust system for those classical cafe racers such as Norton and Triton motorcycles found in those good old days.

20120603b.jpg

The installing the swept-back pipes was a bit tricky, maybe due to product-to-product variability as it is manufactured by hand-made basis. The significant changes are the looks and exhaust sound. With these pipes, the new Bonneville looks like a cafe racer and it was indeed nice to just look and admire the entire figure. In addition, the exhaust sound is also different from the one with the factory pipes. The factory pipes are connected by an intermediate pipe just under the engine, while the swept-back pipes are separated. Because of this, the swept-back pipes produce very brisk and spirited parallel twin sound. The drawback is that, because of this separation, the torque power is compromised to some degrees. Although the swept-back pipes are not installed in my current Bonneville, I think it is worth trying for someone seeking for cafe-racer style Bonneville.

20120603c.jpg

20120603d.jpg

Last edited:

D9

Vendor
LOVE those pipes... they looked GREAT on the bike... beautiful pics as usual...
So the loss in torque was reason enough to remove them... or too loud?

roadmanbo

Two Stroke
Dear strokerlmt-san and D9-san,
I could get used to the loss of torque, but in fact, when the factory pipes were re-installed, the recovery of the torque was apparent to me. Although I considered to "bridge" between the swept-back pipes to overcome the torque loss, it required the professional skill and was beyond my capability. Also, the combination of the swept-back pipes with Norman Hyde Peashooter silencer produce very loud sounds.