Bmw R75/5

oldroadie

Scooter
a new beginning

All right, the 64 motor is blown and off to the machinist so it's time to take the BMW down and start reworking it.

strippeddown.jpg

The subframe is bent so a straight item is on the way from Re-Psycle along with a few other necessaries, the wheels are off to the local bike shop for new Dunlop K70s, tubes and rim strips. Lots of grunge to clean off so I can find the real leaks :)

oldroadie

Scooter
A month later there's some progress to report:

Wheels mounted, wearing K70 Dunlops:

wheelson.jpg

I received a nice package from Milwaukee with the fenders, took exactly 5 weeks as promised on 7 Metal West's website:

frontfender.jpg

rearfender.jpg

and I'm starting cobble together the rear indicators and the tail light:

signals.jpg

I expect a few delays going forward; I have to acquire another set of throttle cables and a new clutch cable and build some spacers for the indicators and the fender mounts. I like the sound of the Supertrapp on the 2 into 1 pipe but without the real cables for the CV carbs (different ends than what I have) I can't really set the idle or balance the carbs.

oldroadie

Scooter
Almost Ready

The new lights came out pretty neat just as I expected:

012signals.jpg

and now the bike sits in this almost finished state until the seat arrives and RePsycle acquires the cables I need.

012ltside.jpg

012rtside.jpg

DIRK

750cc
put the shaft of an r65 same length but it will not clunk as it has a spring damper in it. also r 65 headlight reflector will allow a high output h-4 blub. if you need to do any work on the charging system upgrade it Motorrad elektric make a sweet bolt in set up that will allow you to have the bike charging at 1400 +/- rpm. at also makes around 400 watts if my memory is correct. if it still has the stock carbs throw them on a shelf and fit a set off a /6 or /7. the stockers suck don't idle correctly when hot. or a set of mikuni's from these guys will wake it up and start eazy in hot weather. www.rockypointcycle the drum grabs when wet you may want to find a disc leg off a /6 it fits with no fork tube change. electronic ing would be the next step as well. if it sounds like i know a bit a put 198,000 on my /5 questions?

oldroadie

Scooter
if it sounds like i know a bit a put 198,000 on my /5 questions?

Questions? Only a million...but let's tick with just one. The folks over at advrider.com think my headstock is bent. I've never worked on any BMW before, much less measured one so I don't know if that's true; do you know a simple way to check? I know the headlight ears are out of whack but that doesn't really bother me on a trail rider.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Why do they think the headstock is bent? Possible, I suppose, but unless it was in a major crash its not that likely. The headlight bucket and ears routinely get smashed/bent in a low side, so the fact that the ears are a bit wooky isn't significant.

If the forks work without stiction and a laser level show parallel wheel tracking, then I wouldn't worry...

Love them airheads, btw. I've owned numerous machines over the past couple decades and enjoyed each one of them.

Cheers,

--Rich

DIRK

750cc
it is possible that 2 things may have happened. 1. your steering stem is bent. if so you can try to straighten or replace the stem or lower tree with a new one. 2. your fender brace may be bent. put it on a FLAT surface flat side down. thick glass works well but the surface must not be bowed. if it is bent replace it you will not be able to straighten it. keep the queries coming and good luck in your project

oldroadie

Scooter
Frame swap completed. Still have to do a brake job and rebuild the forks, both are worn out but who knew until it was rolling? This thing is a hoot to ride :)

spandauscram1.jpg

spandauscram2.jpg