Another Vintage Mag Scrambler Review

rmak

moped
Newest edition Classic Bike Guide (#207) has a short article about the Scrambler, if anyone's interested. Very positive. Flip the page to see a review of the 2008 Royal Enfield Woodsman. It's got high pipe, skid plate, single seat and rack....hey wait a minute!?

rmak

moped
They describe it as "good, but not perfect", an "understanding and easy-going friend". 87 mpg! I generally admire the Brits for their appreciation of smaller cc bikes. There's some wisdom there.

rmak

moped
I eased off on my ethnocentricity a little after I found my authentic Triumph accessories were made in China. So much for my "Made in England" fantasy.

I did ride a friend's Royal Enfield. It was an early made in India version. Not a whole lot of uumph and, according to him, plagued with electical problems. I've heard they've improved the QC over the years. They've got some sharp bikes.

rmak

moped
I like Indian food. :)

Followed by a cool mango lassi.

Regardless of where these bikes are built, I can't find a whole lot wrong about how they look:
scrambler-trials1.jpg

NEPatriots9

Scooter
She looks good, thats for sure, but if you think 55hp is underpowered try one of those out. We have a dealer local and he really doesn't like those bikes, sticks them in the corner and bad mouths them every chance he can get. I would like to meet someone who has one so I can question them, may be a nice bike for my wife.

I did ride a friend's Royal Enfield. It was an early made in India version. Not a whole lot of uumph and, according to him, plagued with electical problems. I've heard they've improved the QC over the years. They've got some sharp bikes.

Yep,they've completely revamped the carburetion,brakes,and electrics,and even added an electric starter on the later models.Electric gremlins are supposed to be a thing of the past.

She looks good, thats for sure, but if you think 55hp is underpowered try one of those out. We have a dealer local and he really doesn't like those bikes, sticks them in the corner and bad mouths them every chance he can get. I would like to meet someone who has one so I can question them, may be a nice bike for my wife.

Yeah,what are they,something like 18hp? There's a guy who rides one around here,I think it's an 01,or 02 500 Bullet,with a side hack.I've never seen him without his Irish Setter in the hack. I talked to him for a few minutes once.Said he never really rode it much without the chair,and with chair,and dog,cruising speed is about 40-45.Might hit 60 if he really tried.

I'd love to have one.

So Gary, We should put you in the "Don't care for the Royal Enfield" column, right?:D

Sure. But you'd be 100% wrong!
I care passionately about Royal Enfield. That's why I can't stand the second rate crap that that Indian outfit build. They've taken one of the worst models Redditch ever designed, & turned it into somekind of fucking icon to the slow. Where's the 750 Interceptor, & other great models of the past?
But what pisses me off most is that they put the Royal part back into their name. I could tolerate their existance (reluctantly) while they were just Enfield of India. But now that they're masquerading as the genuine article, I just want to see the whole company whither & die (I know it's highly unlikely).
Real Royal Enfields were made in Redditch, & I care very much about them Rich.

rmak

moped
I can't argue with that, Gary. I don't believe the old Royal Enfields were imported into the states, at least not in the numbers the Triumphs, BSA's and Nortons were. I don't ever remember seeing any in the old days. I have seen some original ones at bike shows. I certainly don't have the historical frame of reference that you have. I'll have to study the old ones a little closer.

Mista Vern

Scooter
I can't argue with that, Gary. I don't believe the old Royal Enfields were imported into the states, at least not in the numbers the Triumphs, BSA's and Nortons were. I don't ever remember seeing any in the old days. I have seen some original ones at bike shows. I certainly don't have the historical frame of reference that you have. I'll have to study the old ones a little closer.

You're correct, they were around but not in great numbers due, I believe, to lack of dealerships. Properly set up (and providing the electrics didn't crap out) they were very fast and some of the prettiest Brit bikes ever made.

Spiny Norman

Scooter
I tend to feel the same way about Hinckley Triumphs - though obviously not as stongly, as I own one.

No issues about quality, but the same shallow attempts to cash in on a name.

...and at least they openly say that the Enfields are made in Asia.

Here you go Rich.
http://www.ozemate.com/interceptor/start.htm
This is what a real Royal Enfield looks like.
I'm surprised they're not more common over there. I thought they were a US export model. I've seen high-piped scrambler models, which I'm fairly certain were purpose-built for west coast desert racing.

PS Interesting side-fact: Royal Enfield were the first company after Daimler-Benz, to offer a powered vehicle for sale to the general public, in 1898 (according to BBC's Top Gear).

Last edited:

Hiltz

Scooter
Scratch,

I guess you'll really go bonkers when the Abos introduce the new indignous Velocette:eek: