1977 Yamaha XS650D - Bonneville Copy - Project Bike

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
I have a friend who was able to purchase a 1977 Yamaha XS650D from a neighbor. I have volunteered to help him get it running. I've always been curious about these bikes because they have been called "Bonneville Copies" having a parallel twin engine and a similar frame, gas tank, and overall shape to the traditional Bonneville. When these bikes and others like it (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki) came out in the 70's they basically caused the British motorcycle industry to decline rapidly.

I'm still in the process of getting this bike running, but I've already learned enough to confirm that this is obviously a copy of the Bonneville!

Here are some photos of the process. I'll update this thread again as I make more progress.

Randy

yamaha-xs650-1.jpg

scotts-yamaha-4.jpg

mikuni-carbs.jpg

other-mounted-items.jpg

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
The Yamaha 650 project bike is now running and being ridden by my friend. It is safe and reliable with new tires, chain, lights, ignition, etc. There are still more small projects we'd like to do as time goes on, but it's ready to roll!

I've learned a lot in this build process. Although the Yamaha XS650 series is a nice, lower-cost way to go, it is still no match for the real modern classic Triumph Bonneville's from 2001-2008 (carbureted, air and oil-cooled) models!

1977-yamaha-xs650d.jpg

gcrider

Street Tracker
An '81 XS 650 Special was my first street bike. Very cool and easy to work on. That's a nice piece. Those alloy wheels are CHOICE.