1969 Tiger

oldroadie

Scooter
After days of home remodeling involving installing new wood flooring I finally had a day to put in toward the bike and the rolling chassis is coming back together. Those new tapered neck bearings are really silky smooth:

rollingchassis.jpg

Of course there's always that one bolt that didn't get into the ziplock baggie so I'm hardware store bound in the morning for one bolt to hold the oil tank. It's always something ;-) I'm off to western Canada for concerts this week so it'll be next week before any more wrenching...

bdavanza

Street Tracker
I rode my 68 Tr6 to work today. Roadie, keep up the excellent work.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

mark66

TT Racer
I know, their not Triumphs!

Keep the classics rolling. My son and I took out our BSA's (1970 and 1972) Sunday morning for an early cup of coffee before it got to hot. I ride them at least once a week when I'm not using my Triumph America. Great job on the restoration. It's a long time coming but well worth it when your done.

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Mark:
BSA owned Triumph in those years, so don't fret! ha ha. They're the reason for the Oil-in-Frame...

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Yes they did, in fact the plates are the same on many Triumph/BSA models. That is an aftermarket dry belt drive. Cleaner shifts, less places to leak, less weight, less vibration. It's not very cheap unless you're looking at having to replace the chain, plates and basket already. I dig the belt drives and these cases are broken where the chain adjuster plug goes, so it was an easy decision vs pulling the motor and possibly splitting the cases for welding and machining.

mark66

TT Racer
Yes they did, in fact the plates are the same on many Triumph/BSA models. That is an aftermarket dry belt drive. Cleaner shifts, less places to leak, less weight, less vibration. It's not very cheap unless you're looking at having to replace the chain, plates and basket already. I dig the belt drives and these cases are broken where the chain adjuster plug goes, so it was an easy decision vs pulling the motor and possibly splitting the cases for welding and machining.

Thanks for the info. Something to keep in mind if I ever have to head down that rode.

casper

Two Stroke
Yes, sir, it appears to be a 1964 Highway Trophy with 1969 Tiger tins and front brake. It's been converted over to 12V complete with a Tympanium regulator. Not a complete mish-mash of parts but enouygh of each model to make it an interesting challenge; since only 400+ of the Highway Trophys were builty I won't be bobbing this one. The real debate rages on whether to attempt a factory correct resto or to restorize it utilizing the existing parts. I'm not so sure I'd want to re-Lucas it...

Great project. You've done brilliantly with that old bike!

Lucas electrics had a nickname I think I heard a while back, something around ''prince of darkness' or similar, due to their unreliability back in the 50s and 60s !!!! :)

Lovely old bike.

Casper

Last edited:

bdavanza

Street Tracker
"a gentleman does not motor about after dark" Joseph Lucas 1834-1903
60's Triumphs had very solid electrics, however. The majority of problems came from owners who had dirty/loose connectors, over torqued fasteners and just could not understand "positive earth". I have problems remembering how to work with negative ground....
-Ben

oldroadie

Scooter
Not to worry, a new higher output three phase stator went in yesterday (pictures later) and will be complimented by a Podtronics rectifier/regulator, AGM battery and Pazon electronic ignition. This is a mash up of a 64 Trophy and 69 Tiger front end and tins so I'm not worried about the "concours" crowd; I'd rather have a reliable daily rider that I can jump on when I get in off the road without a tech day first.

Later:
It was a productive day:
timingside.jpg

primaryside.jpg

rollingchassis2.jpg

Last edited:

casper

Two Stroke
Oldroadie said:

''Not to worry, a new higher output three phase stator went in yesterday (pictures later) and will be complimented by a Podtronics rectifier/regulator, AGM battery and Pazon electronic ignition. This is a mash up of a 64 Trophy and 69 Tiger front end and tins so I'm not worried about the "concours" crowd; I'd rather have a reliable daily rider that I can jump on when I get in off the road without a tech day first.''

Totally agree with your actions and sentiments with this beastie.

Lovely photographs of your labour of love.

Much better to have a working bike that you can jump on and ride; I find that some of the concours brigade are a little bit anal about things. The general look of the bike and its quality are more important to me. So thats why i ride a Hinckley Triumph, as the quality build is good nowadays.

My only gripe with the Hinckley Triumph Bonnevilles (like my Scrambler) is the sheer over weight of them - they're too darned heavy IMO. Compare an old Bonnie with a new Bonnie's weight!

Casper

My only gripe with the Hinckley Triumph Bonnevilles (like my Scrambler) is the sheer over weight of them - they're too darned heavy IMO. Compare an old Bonnie with a new Bonnie's weight! Casper

Spot on.
I love my EFI T100 and am happy and capable of riding bigger heavier bikes, but, why are they so heavy when they are only mid size twins?
I'm working on a friends 1997 Ducati SS750 and find it a joy to ride because it's a lightweight toy of a bike compared with my T100.

casper

Two Stroke
Spot on.
I love my EFI T100 and am happy and capable of riding bigger heavier bikes, but, why are they so heavy when they are only mid size twins?
I'm working on a friends 1997 Ducati SS750 and find it a joy to ride because it's a lightweight toy of a bike compared with my T100.

A lot of people are saying this, maybe the guys at Triumph will hear and note. They always pride themselves on listening to customers views.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a light weight 650 machine that has classic lines but modern technology?

Casper

bdavanza

Street Tracker
That would take a complete frame redesign and more expensive materials like chromoly or aluminum frames and swingarms. If only the Thruxton was actually a different bike from a std Bonnie rather than a change of clothes.
Higher comp pistons, better forks, brakes, and shocks like what they put on one of their sportier bikes, and a lighter rolling chassis, that would be a real "Thruxton"

Roadie:
Sounds like you have gathered all the right parts to make this a solid machine. Top notch!

oldroadie

Scooter
Progress!

A long summer of touring back and forth across the US has really cut into my project time. When I've had free time I chose to ride rather than wrench...you understand that, I know. Anyway, when my friend Ron had a brief break from his tour schedule he helped me fit the motor back into the frame. Now I've gotten this far:

augustprogress.jpg

Fall touring and then a Christmas tour will pause me again for the next couple of months. So maybe this winter I'll get the needed week of time I estimate it will take to get this into running condition.

mark66

TT Racer
It's looking great. Keep at it and before you know it, it will be next spring and you'll be firing that beauty up. :cheers: