'17 USA spec St. Twin crotch burner and 91 octane?

As the owner of a new street twin I have a question...OK a couple of questions.....#1 Anyone ride their '16 or newer 900 street twin in 100 degree heat? My 2 week old 2017 was burning the piss outa' me yesterday. The heat is in the area of the injector covers. Engine temp wasn't hot and I was riding about 60 MPH riding home after getting it 's 1st service.

#2 Whenever someone tells me to put 91 octane in a USA bike that calls for 87 my bullshit alarm sounds. Yesterday the service writer told me to do just that. Has anyone heard that? Is my B.S.-o-meter correct?

qwenzel

Two Stroke
I don't know about your owners manual, but the manual from my 05 T100 says 87 octane. I've put over 40k miles on my 2 T100's and 99.8% of the time it was with 87 octane gas. No pinging or knocking. Bike runs like a raped ape. Your owners manual should be your bible.

DesertRat

moped
I live in Tucson and ride all year. That should answer you first question. I haven't noticed the problem you mention. On the fuel, I just moved rom a Tiger800XCX and I ran that on whatever was available, which varied from 75 (middle of the desert hell hole) to over 100 (Europe) and I never noticed much difference in performance. These newer EFI bikes are quite adept and adjusting for the fuel they're running. The car guys and Consumer Reports also both had fascinating articles on fuel octane that essentially said go with the 87 octane and the bike will be quite happy.

PhantomII

Scooter
After I put the Vance and Hines mufflers, the X-Pipe, and a cold air intake on mine I can't run anything but super unleaded fuel or my bike is hard to start or stalls out at stop lights so i guess there is some truth to what you heard.

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
The newer liquid-cooled Triumphs need to be sure they have the most recent, up-to-date calibration maps for the EFI installed. Your dealer can do this. Once calibrated with the correct and most up-to-date map, your Triumph EFI should be able to adjust for all of these conditions.

PhantomII

Scooter
All mods were done by the dealer and I was told they re-mapped the ECU after they were done but I still have to run premium fuel or the sting won't run right.