Yamaha XS400 Budget Project

Craigore

TT Racer
4f974281.jpg

check this out. xs650, but still. snapped this in mid ohio last weekend.

ps- like the shrouded shocks more. black them bitches out, they'd look great.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
ps- like the shrouded shocks more. black them bitches out, they'd look great.

They were just too short and too soft. Bad combination! I wanted a little more ground clearance and firmness.. ended up getting the shocks that are on it for $20 to the door.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Getting there. Lots of parts at the powdercoater.. I have a break from school coming up from the 11th to the beginning of september so I plan I'll finish around then.

Oh and Sweat, don't you hate on my header wrap!

moto_0825.jpg

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Could you make a new, smaller spacer and have the axle turned down a bit? If it's outside the axle plate, it seems like it could be eliminated.

ohhh man, don't start fuggin' with the spacers!!!!! ;-)

I like the way its going, the budget approach, like the new tank, hated the old color.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Yea the old color was an accident.. on the color chart I received on my computer it look light blue.. I had seen pics of a light blue bike and it looked nice.. Picked up the tank seafoam green... looked at the color chart on a dif computer and it was indeed seafoam green.. last time I choose a color on something as variable as a computer screen. Don't plan to mess with the spacers.. I was just going to try to hide it, but I suppose I can live with it.

Going to try to find the copper color I want for this tank. Old one is at the powdercoater again being hit with a dark silver finish and I'm keeping it as a backup.

EDIT: Went to my painter and was looking through colors.. amongst the beige and coppers there was a green tinted beige/grey that caught my eye more than any of the other color samples. It reminded me a little of the one mecatwin bike color with a bit more green and I started thinking about it with the on/off tires I have coming in... I held it up to the new tank and caved. It just looks classy and rugged at the same time!

Mecatwin bike for reference if you haven't seen it:
33479.jpg

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Got the tank back today and dear God.. I am so ready to get this thing together now. It turned out great. One of the tires and the oil filter also came in... Once I get the other tire in the pieces back from the powdercoater I'll start assembly. The shorty cans I ordered have been put on backorder and the date pushed back twice.. so I cancelled the order. Trying to score Nohawk's old cocktail shakers if he still has them!

Pics later!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Now we're getting somewhere:

100MEDIA95IMAG0082.jpg

Color wouldn't show up completely right inside, I'll bring it outside tomorrow and get some shots.

Those headlight brackets look kinda funky to me. They push the headlight too far out. There's too much gap between the back of the bucket and the forks. Also, it looks too low. It's a minor complaint, but I think it's an important styling cue.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Headlight ears and gaiters should be here between tomorrow and monday. Couldn't find p-clamps to fit. I had just flipped the stock ears to try out, but had the same opinion as you with the smaller headlight... sticks out too far and is a bit too low... especially from the front. Thinking about raising the front height back up a bit to suit the new longer rear shocks.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I plan on it. Wheels and thinking about the fork lowers too. Or I may cut the fender mount tabs off and sand them down to that smooth brushed look. That way it would go from metal-black (gaiters)-metal on the fork tubes.

Also, anyone got a good method for getting tires off the wheels without f$%#in up? I really don't feel like paying someone $30 a wheel to pull a tire. That's with wheels off the bike too. Gay.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Really the only thing that I want that I don't have is spoke wheels.. I'd love to find a front with the disc set up, but from what I've seen they are pretty rare, so I'd have to go drum. Thanks for looking out though! I appreciate it