Won't start - looking for ideas

aleonet100

Two Stroke
2005 T100, 20 something thousand miles on it. It's been a tank with absolutely no issues until yesterday. It would turn over but not fire. Put it on the trickle charger until completely charged, no luck, same thing until battery was dead. It was the original battery so I figured it may have finally expired. Brand new absorbed-glass mat battery, fully charged, same results. Turns over, no fire. Replaced the spark plugs. Same result.

-Fuel on
-New battery
-Full charge
-New plugs
-Lights, turn signals, horn function normally
-Jiggled the handle

If I leave the plugs connected but hanging outside of the engine I don't see any spark when I hit the starter.

Thoughts anyone???

Thanks.

Last edited:
My 2008 T-100 did the same thing

and it was the pick-up coil. Make sure your kill switch is on and check the connections and voltage to your coil. Follow the wires from the triangular cover on the right side of your bike up to the connection point near your battery and disconnect it. Check the resistance of the pick-up coil. Mine was zero ohms.
Replaced it and she started right up.
Use the search function for "pick-up coil" for more and better info.
I think the new gap specification is .8mm. You'll probably want to get a new alternator cover gasket as well.
From what I understand this is a pretty common failure. Hope it's not the ignitor...

Clyde probably has the answer. Also useful would be to just check all the connectors related to ignition and make sure a wire hasn't pulled from the housing.

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully that's all it is.

Went back and checked all the connections I could reach and pulled all the fuses one by one. All looked good.

To pull the cover myself or get it to the dealer? That is the question.

strokerlmt

I just went through the same thing. Rolls nicely no start. I put in new plugs, no fire. I was starting to think stator. Look up checking stator on the other site and use a volt meter....simple test. Not my stator. So I took the whole wiring harness off and reconnected everything. I took the bar controls apart and checked for water/damage. Cleaned and retightened battery terminals. She fired up 3rd roll. Before you spend bucks with a dealer waste 2-3 hours and check everything again....good luck....
LMT

aleonet100

Two Stroke
Pickup coil is officially dead. Not a cheap dealer fix.

The bike has been truly problem free up to this point. Hope it's not a sign of things to come.